What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Yeah, man. Tires make a huge difference and so does the lowering springs. Again, I can't believe the ride. Stiffer/sportier handling but very comfortable. Looking forward to my 9 hour drive to Fargo, ND next week!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I live 1/2 hour from the factory and warehouse/sales that I'm going to pick those up today. I'm a little hesitant as well on the cargo liner. I could use it to protect the back of the seats. I carry a lot of sample bags and would love the protection. If it's not too much trouble, could you take a photo of your cargo liner and how it sits? They always show them perfectly in the advertisements. I would like to get a true photo. Otherwise, no big deal, my friend.
Here you go!

20170120_133014.jpg

What have you done with or to your Explorer Today?

I got this sweet metal 3.5L Twin Turbo Emblem match our Explorer perfectly, have to make it Curve ah little to fit perfect, what do you guys think?
emblem002.jpg

Looking good man. I like the touch of red in the 3.5L. I'm thinking of getting an "interceptor" emblem from ebay if I can find one. I have no decals on the back at the moment.

Recently I discovered the fact that Plastidip exists, so I went ahead and dipped my front bumper trim (which was grey) and the trim in the rear. I also sanded off the tint on the smoked out headlights from the previous owner so I can actually freaking see at night. All I have is a night time picture so I'll have to take some more pics during the day so it's easier to see.
night_clear.jpg

......... I also sanded off the tint on the smoked out headlights from the previous owner so I can actually freaking see at night......
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
With so many members complaining about the poor lighting of some of these Explorers it makes me wonder why anyone would add a tint to further reduce the lighting.:dunno:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
With so many members complaining about the poor lighting of some of these Explorers it makes me wonder why anyone would add a tint to further reduce the lighting.:dunno:

Peter

Thanks for the welcome Peter. I hear you man, the light output was borderline dangerous and I had to do something about it. I do like the all black look but avoiding a ticket or an accident outweighed the cosmetics in this case. I've been thinking - since the housing is projector and not reflector I wonder if there's a way I can black out the rear of the housing to achieve a similar effect without breaking the law by covering the lens and interfering with light output. That might be a way to give off an optical illusion that they're blacked out...

Thanks for the welcome Peter. I hear you man, the light output was borderline dangerous and I had to do something about it. I do like the all black look but avoiding a ticket or an accident outweighed the cosmetics in this case. I've been thinking - since the housing is projector and not reflector I wonder if there's a way I can black out the rear of the housing to achieve a similar effect without breaking the law by covering the lens and interfering with light output. That might be a way to give off an optical illusion that they're blacked out...
I would think you could, but it would require opening up the light housing. The sport headlights on the 16-17 models are blacked out in this way. I've thought about opening mine up and doing it, but seeing as how these things cost around $800 a piece I'm not exactly keen on doing so and screwing up and having to purchase one (or worse yet, a set.)

I would think you could, but it would require opening up the light housing. The sport headlights on the 16-17 models are blacked out in this way. I've thought about opening mine up and doing it, but seeing as how these things cost around $800 a piece I'm not exactly keen on doing so and screwing up and having to purchase one (or worse yet, a set.)

I know what you mean. Screwing up would be quite costly. The crappy thing is I can't seem to find any aftermarket headlight housing for the 2015 model...all parts they sell look exactly the same as the factory stock ones.

Let's say you did open your housing and took a stab at it, what would you do? What would you coat the rear housing with to give it the look you wanted?

I know what you mean. Screwing up would be quite costly. The crappy thing is I can't seem to find any aftermarket headlight housing for the 2015 model...all parts they sell look exactly the same as the factory stock ones.

Let's say you did open your housing and took a stab at it, what would you do? What would you coat the rear housing with to give it the look you wanted?
Here are some posts you and supr squirrel might be interested in checking out on a proper conversion. Starts with this post; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-pics-step-by-step.397594/page-7#post-3312203

Peter

Your links are not working.

Ok I just got my sport last week and I just took delivery of my Husky Weatherbeaters this morning. Loving the look and the fact that my wife(DD) and kids will not be able to mess up my carpets.

Ok I just got my sport last week and I just took delivery of my Husky Weatherbeaters this morning. Loving the look and the fact that my wife(DD) and kids will not be able to mess up my carpets.
What was the part number for the front liners and does the driver's side fit properly? The reason I'm asking is that the part number shown on the Husky site for the 2017 fronts is the same as the 2016 fronts. There was a slight change made to the 2017 driver's foot well so I'm curious as to why the 2016 and 2017 have the same number since the 2017 liner was supposed to have been modified. Thanks.

Peter

Hey folks, I haven't even got my 2017 limited yet, I am truly inspired by all of your posts and cool upgrades and modifications .

I made a list for myself and hope to be able to do some of them over time provided I don't have too much opposition from my wife and other family commitments... haha

Thanks to everyone for posting...,

Added the "Explorer" lettering to the front of the hood.

Looks great !

Just wondering, did you order the lettering from Ford or is this something from Amazon?

Are the letters some kind of malleable plastic or rigid metal like letters as described by the supplier found on Amazon?

Last question...,were the letters mounted on some sort of template or individual letters that you had to space out and mount yourself?

I added LED's inside & out but have no idea how to post pics from my phone

Got my Livernois Tuner last week and did a full cycle of 93 octane so I loaded the 93 Perf v5 tune last night. I really underestimated the difference that it could make. I took it down a little boat ramp side road by the house and it had no trouble spinning the tires from a start and was chirping the tires into 2nd. 50 mph comes amazingly fast for a vehicle this size. Looking forward to more drive time today in more real world use. Thanks Livernois!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peterk9, FYI, I have the Weather Tech for all three rows. They fit and look great.

Back