• Register Today It's free!

Fog light "on" settings.

Kevin Carr

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Can anyone explain what the owners manual does not about turning the fog light function on in the drivers settings? I know the dash button turns them on in manual mode, but how do they work in auto mode when the option is turned on in the drivers settings? On auto, the fog lights go on and off while driving while the headlights stay on. And this happens when the high beams are not on at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone explain what the owners manual does not about turning the fog light function on in the drivers settings? I know the dash button turns them on in manual mode, but how do they work in auto mode when the option is turned on in the drivers settings? On auto, the fog lights go on and off while driving while the headlights stay on. And this happens when the high beams are not on at all.

This doesn't sound right at all. Mine are set to auto and the only time they turn off is when I use the high beams (or of course when the headlights go off as well.)

This doesn't sound right at all. Mine are set to auto and the only time they turn off is when I use the high beams (or of course when the headlights go off as well.)
So your fog lights are set to auto in the configurable driver settings? Mine is and I just tested them - they go off when facing bright sunlight but go off in the shade. And they will no go on at all when I turn try to turn them on via the dash button. Very odd!

So your fog lights are set to auto in the configurable driver settings? Mine is and I just tested them - they go off when facing bright sunlight but go off in the shade. And they will no go on at all when I turn try to turn them on via the dash button. Very odd!
By any chance do you still have daytime running lights activated? Because the lighting from them is nearly the same as with the low beams. But what you describe...the driving lights going off when in bright sunlight....sounds like your lights in general are shutting off (as designed) when they're no longer needed in 'auto' mode. If you have daytime running lights on, however, it might appear that only your driving lights are turning off (if that makes sense.)

I have the daytime running lights disabled on mine so when there is sufficient light the lights go off but the signature LED light remains.

That's odd for sure.

I must be missing something here. The only fog light control to turn them ON/Off is the dash switch. They are not affected by the 'Auto' headlight setting. My headlights are always in the 'Auto' mode and if I want the 'fogs' ON as well I have to turn them ON using the dash button. As far as I can tell there is no connection/interaction between the fog lights and headlights, no matter what mode the latter is in. Mine has no Driver's Settings for fog lights. The 'fogs' should not turn ON/Off by themselves unless you are going to high beams and back to low beams.

Peter

By any chance do you still have daytime running lights activated? Because the lighting from them is nearly the same as with the low beams. But what you describe...the driving lights going off when in bright sunlight....sounds like your lights in general are shutting off (as designed) when they're no longer needed in 'auto' mode. If you have daytime running lights on, however, it might appear that only your driving lights are turning off (if that makes sense.)

I have the daytime running lights disabled on mine so when there is sufficient light the lights go off but the signature LED light remains.

I haven't seen a setting for DRL's, but I'll look for that. But I know the lights are not always on during daylight. I'll keep playing with it. Might just be a Fordism.

I haven't seen a setting for DRL's, but I'll look for that. But I know the lights are not always on during daylight. I'll keep playing with it. Might just be a Fordism.
I'm guessing if you have the DRL enabled that they would be on the low beams at a reduced power. That is how the Canadian version of the Explorer Platinum works. They don't go on and off according to the light conditions and don't work with the fog lights. Sounds like your lights are on 'Auto' with no DRL activated.
Were you by chance using the windshield wipers at any time when having these iisues? The headlights can be turned ON by the wiper function if certain conditions exist.

Peter

I'm guessing if you have the DRL enabled that they would be on the low beams at a reduced power. That is how the Canadian version of the Explorer Platinum works. They don't go on and off according to the light conditions and don't work with the fog lights. Sounds like your lights are on 'Auto' with no DRL activated.
Were you by chance using the windshield wipers at any time when having these iisues? The headlights can be turned ON by the wiper function if certain conditions exist.

Peter
The wipers are on rain sense, so technically they are always on, but they were not activated or swiping while I was noticing this issue. And yes, "Auto" is on but I don't have DRL as they are not required here in the US. I'm not with the car right now to confirm but I see other 2016 explorers in the area that don't have any lights on during daylight. None of this explains why the fog lights come on and go off in changing light conditions while the headlights remain fully on. Man I hate to take it to the dealer for such a mundane issue. But I will if I can't determine myself why the engine light comes on and goes off by itself without throwing a code. BTW, I've owned this 2016 for only 3 weeks, so I'm still learning.

The wipers are on rain sense, so technically they are always on, but they were not activated or swiping while I was noticing this issue. And yes, "Auto" is on but I don't have DRL as they are not required here in the US. I'm not with the car right now to confirm but I see other 2016 explorers in the area that don't have any lights on during daylight. None of this explains why the fog lights come on and go off in changing light conditions while the headlights remain fully on. Man I hate to take it to the dealer for such a mundane issue. But I will if I can't determine myself why the engine light comes on and goes off by itself without throwing a code. BTW, I've owned this 2016 for only 3 weeks, so I'm still learning.
The fog lights should not come on unless you've turned them on and then should only go off when you turn them off. If your headlights come on during the day when you start up then it is likely DRL is set to ON or Enabled. Otherwise they should only come on when it starts to get dark. The learning doesn't stop with these vehicles.:D

The fog lights should not come on unless you've turned them on and then should only go off when you turn them off. If your headlights come on during the day when you start up then it is likely DRL is set to ON or Enabled. Otherwise they should only come on when it starts to get dark. The learning doesn't stop with these vehicles.:D

I understand what you say, and we have the identical car. Please look at the option to turn on or off the fog lights in the driver settings you have on the left side of the steering wheel that display next to the tach ( not the button on the dash left of the steering wheel ). That setting must have something to do with the fog lights coming on automatically rather than manually pushing the other button. The owners manual talks about how to turn it on but doesn't explain how it operates the fog lights. When my headlights are on Auto, the dash mounted push button is disabled. I'm going to turn that function off tomorrow and see how it behaves.

Not sure about American models, but here in Canada I have my headlights on auto and the fog light switched to on at all times (switched on with the dash button and it stays in that setting even after turning the vehicle off). When the headlights come on, so do the fogs. If the headlights are off during daytime, I have the DRL's and the signature lighting only. Not even sure there's a way to turn on the fogs without headlights on.

I might be misunderstanding what you are saying but I'll explain how mine work in the states.

We leave ours in auto mode at all times. When the headlights trigger on, we hit the fog light button to turn them on. Once they are on, they are always on when the head lights trigger on. We do NOT have to hit the fog lights button every time. If at any time we hit the fog lights button to turn them off, they are now always off until we hit it again.

That button is a smart button, hit it once it remembers to always turn them on automatically once headlights turn on.. hit it again, they will always be off.

Now if the headlights are staying on at all times and fog lights are shutting on and off due to lighting.. something is not right with his vehicle.

Not sure about American models, but here in Canada I have my headlights on auto and the fog light switched to on at all times (switched on with the dash button and it stays in that setting even after turning the vehicle off). When the headlights come on, so do the fogs. If the headlights are off during daytime, I have the DRL's and the signature lighting only. Not even sure there's a way to turn on the fogs without headlights on.

I can manually turn my parking lights on without the headlights and then push the dash button to turn on the fog lights at the same time. But all that changes when set to auto.

I understand what you say, and we have the identical car. Please look at the option to turn on or off the fog lights in the driver settings you have on the left side of the steering wheel that display next to the tach ( not the button on the dash left of the steering wheel ). That setting must have something to do with the fog lights coming on automatically rather than manually pushing the other button. The owners manual talks about how to turn it on but doesn't explain how it operates the fog lights. When my headlights are on Auto, the dash mounted push button is disabled. I'm going to turn that function off tomorrow and see how it behaves.
There is no such option in the 'Driver Assist' for fog lights on mine. No selectable option anywhere in the display for 'Fog Lights'.

Peter

I might be misunderstanding what you are saying but I'll explain how mine work in the states.

We leave ours in auto mode at all times. When the headlights trigger on, we hit the fog light button to turn them on. Once they are on, they are always on when the head lights trigger on. We do NOT have to hit the fog lights button every time. If at any time we hit the fog lights button to turn them off, they are now always off until we hit it again.

That button is a smart button, hit it once it remembers to always turn them on automatically once headlights turn on.. hit it again, they will always be off.

Now if the headlights are staying on at all times and fog lights are shutting on and off due to lighting.. something is not right with his vehicle.
I just tried that on mine and the fogs once set to on via the dash button do come back on with the headlights. I don't use the fogs 99% of the time so it was something I wasn't aware of. Learned something new today.:) Thanks.
Next time I take it out I'll check to see if they also come on automatically with the DRL.

Peter

With the DRL's, even if your headlights and fog lights are set to "auto" the Fog lights will be off UNTIL it gets dark enough out. Then the headlights and fog lights turn on, and the DRL's automatically turn off. Then, when it becomes light out again, The headlights and fog lights turn off, and the DRL's turn back on.

I just tried that on mine and the fogs once set to on via the dash button do come back on with the headlights. I don't use the fogs 99% of the time so it was something I wasn't aware of. Learned something new today.:) Thanks.
Next time I take it out I'll check to see if they also come on automatically with the DRL.

Peter

Getting old is hell. I think my diminishing brain was confusing DRL's with FOGs since the DRL's are configurable ( on and off ) in the drivers settings. This would explain everything except why I witnessed the FOGs go off and on while watching my wife drive up our driveway while the headlights appeared to stay on. And this may be explained by your continued experiment to see if they are tied to the DRL's. Thanks!

DRL's are Never on when the Headlights are on. NEVER.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back