Lockout Protection keeping Liftgate from closing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lockout Protection keeping Liftgate from closing

Falcon50ex

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Ford is well intentioned from locking the vehicle with a key fob inside, however I keep the extra key fob inside the glove compartment. When closing the lift gate with the doors locked the lift gate opens. It's becoming quite annoying and I'd like to disable the lockout protection feature. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford is well intentioned from locking the vehicle with a key fob inside, however I keep the extra key fob inside the glove compartment. When closing the lift gate with the doors locked the lift gate opens. It's becoming quite annoying and I'd like to disable the lockout protection feature. Does anyone know if this can be done?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing that this isn't about the 2004 Explorer that you show in your profile in the margin.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing that this isn't about the 2004 Explorer that you show in your profile in the margin.

Peter
It isn't, I recently purchased a 2016 Limited Edition Explorer but I'm happy to report that the '04 is still performing beautifully at 330K miles!

It isn't, I recently purchased a 2016 Limited Edition Explorer but I'm happy to report that the '04 is still performing beautifully at 330K miles!
Might be an idea to add the 2016 Limited to the stable or to your signature.
On my 2017 Platinum if I leave a set of keys in the console, lock the doors and then close the liftgate, the vehicle's lights flash twice and the horn sounds twice and the doors unlock. The liftgate remains closed. I just tried it several times with the same results. Why not just close everything up and then use the Securicode keypad to lock the vehicle? That should do the trick.

Peter

Might be an idea to add the 2016 Limited to the stable or to your signature.
On my 2017 Platinum if I leave a set of keys in the console, lock the doors and then close the liftgate, the vehicle's lights flash twice and the horn sounds twice and the doors unlock. The liftgate remains closed. I just tried it several times with the same results. Why not just close everything up and then use the Securicode keypad to lock the vehicle? That should do the trick.

Peter
I tried adding another vehicle to my profile but it would only allow one. My vehicle does the same as yours. When walking away using the key fob, if the vehicle senses the extra key fob is inside it won't allow the lift gate to close if the doors are locked. There have been two occasions now where I've walked away thinking my car was secure and the lift gate were open. I'm aware of the workarounds to avoid this, I'd just like to disable the feature completely. I have the keypad to regain entry if need be.

I tried adding another vehicle to my profile but it would only allow one. My vehicle does the same as yours. When walking away using the key fob, if the vehicle senses the extra key fob is inside it won't allow the lift gate to close if the doors are locked. There have been two occasions now where I've walked away thinking my car was secure and the lift gate were open. I'm aware of the workarounds to avoid this, I'd just like to disable the feature completely. I have the keypad to regain entry if need be.
Create a signature to add the 2016 Explorer Limited. I have seen profiles in the margin where it shows more than 1 vehicle. Perhaps they are using a different field.
You may have misread my post. My tailgate closes with no issues and does NOT reopen. However the lights flash twice and the horn sounds twice indicating it has unlocked itself.
While typing this response an idea came to me (doesn't happen often). I wrapped one set of keys in Reynolds aluminum foil (shiny side in), put it in the console, locked the doors with the other fob, went back and hit the 'Close' button on the liftgate. The 'gate' closed, the lights did their 2 flashes and NO horn. The vehicle was locked. If that works for you too I think it is a cheaper/better solution than playing around with the security system.

Peter

The keypad "securicide" is going to be your best friend for this. Press the bottom 2 buttons at the same time and will lock the doors.

The keypad "securicide" is going to be your best friend for this. Press the bottom 2 buttons at the same time and will lock the doors.
I mentioned that and the OP is aware of it but wants to disable the feature altogether. I suggested wrapping the 'spare' key in foil and that will solve the problem but haven't heard anything since then.:dunno:

Peter

We have the same issue and like you, have done this a couple of times while walking away only to have to return to shut the gate completely and then lock it. Have you found a setting or a way to fix this?

We have the same issue and like you, have done this a couple of times while walking away only to have to return to shut the gate completely and then lock it. Have you found a setting or a way to fix this?
See my post above. That will "fix this". There is no OEM setting to prevent the issue. It is a type of 'Safety' thing to prevent accidental locking of your keys inside. You can also use the Securicode to lock the keys inside.

Peter

why not just put the extra key in a wrap of tinfoil to prevent the car from receiving the signal from the fob????

why not just put the extra key in a wrap of tinfoil to prevent the car from receiving the signal from the fob????

Plus this WILL prevent you from locking the main keys in the car if you do it by mistake.. the best of both worlds..

peterk9 is correct, there is no setting to change this behavior.. even in the as-built module data. It is a safety feature built in to the BCM software.

Back