2016 Explorer Sport - Audio System Build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Sport - Audio System Build

Lexingtonian

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Exp Sport w/401a
The Master thread on this effort is located here:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...25353-2016-ford-explorer-sport-build-log.html (Update 12/24/17 thread since destroyed by the Photobucket Debacle - Not sure if I'll update that thread any longer)

I've owned my Exp Sport for around 2 weeks now and have been heavily researching the Premium Sony Audio System for a buildout. I thought I'd create this thread to help others as this build will occur over the next couple months. I've had a mess of a time tracking down info on this vehicle. Oh, it's there to be found but it's all over the interwebs.

Kind of interesting in the mean time.. I certainly want a 5.1 Pro-Logic Center Channel Upmixed system (this vehicle is built for it frankly) and thus there are only 2 DSP's on the planet for Car Audio that can do that. The Alpine H800 and the JBL MS8 (now discontinued but plenty on Ebay). (there is rumor that Audio Frog is going to release something along the DSP line this year also) I'm going with the MS8 I think though. Anyway, the center channel becomes important in a system like that and I want a little more than a mincy anemic 3 1/2" speaker. I was able to confirm tonight that I can get a 5 1/4" speaker in there without too much trouble. Looking forward to the extra center audio strength. Kudos to Ford for providing the space. It should reside quite comfortably under the stock grill.

The system I'm looking to do will be as follows (subject to change):

Front Door
Tweeter - SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC
Woofer -
8" Driver Silver Flute W20RC38-04 (Stock Size is a 6x9, I like an 8" Mid Bass so some modification is required)

Center Channel
Eclipse 5 1/4" Point Source (4/30/17 may be changing to another driver, still testing) (Update, changed with the NVX V Series 5 1/4 - liked the tweet better than the old Eclipse)

Rear Door
NVX VSP60 6" Speakers (as of 12/24/17 I havent installed them yet - not sure if I will)

Rear Speakers
4" NVX VSP4

Subwoofer
Dead Link Removed

Sound Deadening
Dead Link Removed (Amazon)

Amplifers
2 Soundstream Tarantula 4.900 150x4 Class D Amplifiers
1 JL Audio JX500/1D for the Sub. It's just finding a place to put them that's the tough part. Not a lot of places to hide amps in this vehicle

DSP
JBL MS8
*(Turns out, in the end, I'm not using the PAC unit - I'm using the variable line output - see Item 2 under Ford Audio Related below) Dead Link Removed (Essential to connect to the CAN Bus, maintain Steering Wheel Controls and bypass the factory amp with line level signal that has been un-eq'd.

Helpful links to me at this point:

Ford Audio Related
  1. 2016 Ford Explorer Premium and Sony Wiring Diagrams !!!!Grab This!!!!!
  2. Unprocessed Variable Line Out (for Sony Amp Delete)
  3. 2016 Platinum F150 Sony Speaker Upgrade
  4. 2016 Sport Audio Upgrade (thanks for your work, very helpful)
  5. 2015 Ford F150 Audio Upgrade
  6. **2014 Ford F150 w/ Sony System (very helpful thread on OEM / Factory Amp integration)**
  7. 2012 Limited Upgrades (Long thread full of a lot of great info - great work folks!)
  8. Best Custom Stealth Sub Build I've seen for Explorer (Nice work)
  9. The complete lack of good subwoofer options for this vehicle.. (I ain't losin' muh Spare Tire)
  10. Dead Link Removed above in the DSP Section as it's essential for clean amplification with little factory system modification
Explorer How To
  1. Door Panel Removal Guide
  2. JL Audio Stealthbox Install in Explorer
  3. Subwoofer Removal Guide
  4. Passenger Side Firewall Grommet Access (and Airbag Removal amongst other things..)
Environment Modification
  1. Active Noise Canceling Disable (Fake Engine Noise Disable - this method is the hard way, I used Forscan and Disabled it . See the Forscan Spreadsheet Below, ACM 727-01-01)
  2. Forscan Software Guide
  3. 2015-2016 Ford F150 Forscan Spreadsheet (this thing is freaking legendary...) (Fake Engine Noise Disable on ACM Tab Line 107)
  4. For AsBuilt Data for your vehicle (You really should save this somewhere)
  5. Dead Link Removed (I ordered the $55 kit and used Forscan to modify 7D0-02-02 in the APIM - Jason was great to work with and also offers Sync3 Upgrades amongst other things. His site primarily caters to Police Interceptor vehicles so some differences between your vehicle and those will occur)
  6. Dead Link Removed (this is the one I have)
General Audio Related
  1. Room Eq Wizard (REW) Tuning Primer
  2. Are Center Channels Relevant, here, in the future?
  3. Dead Link Removed (up to 2015 - still excellent)

Looking forward to adding to the thread as I get into the build (dont worry there will be Pics). I'm still ordering gear at this point but my trigger finger is getting a little, twitchy. I know quite a bit about Forscan Modification and the Audio System in the vehicle at this point. If you have questions, let me know..

- Lexingtonian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard and thanks for the great post. Plenty of very good links there, all in one spot!

I've only been using Forscan since mid December but I love it. The F150 site and that spreadsheet is amazing. Just got finished modding my Exp up from the little 4.2" screen to the 8" MFT, couldn't have been done without Forscan.

I dropped an ACM from EBay in this weekend with satellite and HD. I was only interested in the HD capability. After I dropped it in, I changed one number in the ACM data and one in the APIM data and that was all, had HD radio.

Looking forward to the progress and thanks again for combining those links.

Welcome aboard and thanks for the great post. Plenty of very good links there, all in one spot!

I've only been using Forscan since mid December but I love it. The F150 site and that spreadsheet is amazing. Just got finished modding my Exp up from the little 4.2" screen to the 8" MFT, couldn't have been done without Forscan.

I dropped an ACM from EBay in this weekend with satellite and HD. I was only interested in the HD capability. After I dropped it in, I changed one number in the ACM data and one in the APIM data and that was all, had HD radio.

Looking forward to the progress and thanks again for combining those links.

Excellent work! I've done about a dozen Forscan mods at this point. Don't remember them all frankly. Just added an Aux Jack which will be handy for running the REW tones through the system. Had to enable the jack with Forscan and ordered a wiring kit from FordPIMods.com. The guy there has been a pleasure to work with.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome!

Made a bunch of Helpful Link changes/additions today. I'd especially grab the first link (under Ford Audio Related). It's an immaculate and full multi-page diagram of the Premium and Sony sound systems in the 2016. Definitely hard to find.

I've owned my Exp Sport for around 2 weeks now and have been heavily researching the Premium Sony Audio System for a buildout. I thought I'd create this thread to help others as this build will occur over the next couple months. I've had a mess of a time tracking down info on this vehicle. Oh, it's there to be found but it's all over the interwebs.....................................

...................Looking forward to adding to the thread as I get into the build (dont worry there will be Pics). I'm still ordering gear at this point but my trigger finger is getting a little, twitchy. I know quite a bit about Forscan Modification and the Audio System in the vehicle at this point. If you have questions, let me know..

- Lexingtonian
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are several threads on Audio Upgrades that members have done. Some with installation pictures. You can find them with the 'Search' feature (upper right). Here is just one of them; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/pics-of-my-audio-upgrade.386927/
(typed this up yesterday but forgot to actually post it)

Peter

Forgot to add, I bought a 2016 OEM Ford wiring manual off eBay if you end up needing anything. Offered the seller $30 and he took it. Money well spent. Haven't found but a handful of differences for the 17' model compared to the 16' wiring and those were simple color changes.

Forgot to add, I bought a 2016 OEM Ford wiring manual off eBay if you end up needing anything. Offered the seller $30 and he took it. Money well spent. Haven't found but a handful of differences for the 17' model compared to the 16' wiring and those were simple color changes.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Update on the build..

Over the weekend I bought a JBL MS-8 DSP on EBay

Today I ordered:
1. The PAC unit mentioned above.
2. A JL Audio Stealthbox (see deals forum for 15% off)
3. 2 Soundstream Tarantula 150x4 Amplifiers.

Looking forward to getting started in the coming weeks!

Added link to a video I made detailing how to run cable into the Cabin from the engine compartment in a 2016/17 Ford Explorer. (The cable is actually fed from the cabin to the Engine Compartment not the other way around as is most common) This is helpful for those needing to run a power cable for Car Audio, Towing Controllers etc.. I show the tools required for the removal of the Glove Box, Knee Airbag, Plastic Panels, Power Inverter and discus the methodology for punching through the grommet and feeding your cable into the engine compartment.

..and the build continues...

I replaced the 3.5" Center Channel with an Eclipse 8951 5.25" Point Source driver yesterday. I frankly have had this speaker in my "stock" for, I suppose almost 20 years now (which is why it's a little dusty). Funny, I only had one and the crossover, but it was such a fantastic speaker that I just couldn't get rid of it and intended to use it as a center channel some day. Welp - That day came!

Here's the before Photo -

[/LIST]
IMG_0084.jpg

1. I first verified if the speaker magnet would hang too low and, while it was close, it did not.
  2. I measured the Eclipse speaker mounting diameter which was 4.625" and created a template with Word printed on heavy stock. I cut it out with scissors and used both parts of the template in the process. I started by dropping the template hole over the speaker to make sure it was the right size before I cut the dash.
  3. I used sharpie to trace the template onto the dash and checked for speaker fit
  4. I then used a sharp razor to cut the dash faux-vinyl-leather and removed the foam under it. There is a hard layer at the bottom that has the consistency of Bakelite so I scored the bakelite layer with a razor and snapped it out with a pair of pliers. It broke predictably and while a little jagged, it worked fine. There is enough foam under the bakelite layer that I didn't need to remove that bakelite layer all the way back to the mounting hole as the speaker's natural basket slope to the magnet is quite abrupt.
  5. I checked for fit and also checked for magnet depth again. Good to go -
  6. Next I put Noico Butyl Deadner on the tops of the vents as they sounded pretty hollow. Much better
  7. I also put deadener under the speaker hole
  8. A couple photos showing the stock 3.5" vs the Eclipse 5.25" speaker
  9. I used the circle template once again to verify everything would work out on the stock grill and removed the metal mesh do I could begin cutting the stock grille.
  10. A nice shot from the top as you can see the speaker looks great under the cutout, plenty of room for a little 5.25" mid-bass
  11. I screwed down the speaker and wired it up. I ended up wire tying the cross over in the far left of the ACM/APIM compartment behind a metal bracket. Stock grill looks, well, stock! Immediate difference in the presence of the center channel. Looking forward to next steps in the build!

IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_8123.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2606.jpg
    IMG_3127.jpg
    IMG_3335.jpg
    IMG_3764.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    IMG_5798.jpg
    IMG_7146.jpg
    IMG_7172.jpg
    IMG_7202.jpg
    IMG_8548.jpg
    IMG_8549.jpg

..and the Build continues...

Yesterday I also added an Aux Line-In jack to my Sync2 System. Apparently Sync3 doesn't even have this option. I primarily wanted it so I could send REW Sweeps through the system for tuning purposes. I don't see much use for it other than that as I would connect most devices via bluetooth.

There are several different pinouts for the APIM connector. For my 2016 its Pin 10 Left + and Pin 11 Left- and 27 Right+ followed by 28 Right- (as memory serves). I bought the cable from FordPIMods.com Jason was easy to work with and provided a very well built cable although I did have to modify it by connecting the Green and Black wires so they both connected to ground.

Worked out well.

IMG_7044.jpg
IMG_1917.jpg
IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1526.jpg

(Update 12/24/2017 - I've replaced the Sync2 system with Sync3. Sync 3 has no provision for a 3.5mm Aux input. This is now no longer in use)

Oscilloscope Tests of the Ford ACM and test ultimately conclude that it makes sense (for me) not the use the PAC unit and to use The Variable Line Out ForScan mod.

The build is going to stall still end of month. I've been giving up too much family time working on the truck. (I'm certain many of you know that feeling) My wife is leaving on the 31st for a couple weeks so I'll be able to tear it down in the garage, leave it torn down and wrap it up in that time. Looking forward to having the gear in the truck and not sitting in a pile in my garage.. Still trying to figure out where I'm going to mount amps and the MS8 Processor. The only real places for that in the Explorer are under the front seats (where there's ample room but don't want them to get kicked) and behind the rear panels where the Sony Amp and Sub reside. I'm certain I can fit 2 amps back there once the Sony is gone, but don't think I can fit everything in there. Won't know till I get into it -

The build is going to stall still end of month. I've been giving up too much family time working on the truck. (I'm certain many of you know that feeling) My wife is leaving on the 31st for a couple weeks so I'll be able to tear it down in the garage, leave it torn down and wrap it up in that time. Looking forward to having the gear in the truck and not sitting in a pile in my garage.. Still trying to figure out where I'm going to mount amps and the MS8 Processor. The only real places for that in the Explorer are under the front seats (where there's ample room but don't want them to get kicked) and behind the rear panels where the Sony Amp and Sub reside. I'm certain I can fit 2 amps back there once the Sony is gone, but don't think I can fit everything in there. Won't know till I get into it -

System will be a monster Sir. I recently trade a 15 SHO for a 17 Explorer Sport and I'm looking forward to transferring my system over to the Explorer. I used Rockford's 360.3 processor, Focal K2 3 way set up front, Kicker L5 8" subs and a Alpine PDX ch and was very pleased with the results. But very interested in your system design. Rockford has a new processor coming this spring that sound very nice http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?id=14469. Check it out let me know what you think?

System will be a monster Sir. I recently trade a 15 SHO for a 17 Explorer Sport and I'm looking forward to transferring my system over to the Explorer. I used Rockford's 360.3 processor, Focal K2 3 way set up front, Kicker L5 8" subs and a Alpine PDX ch and was very pleased with the results. But very interested in your system design. Rockford has a new processor coming this spring that sound very nice http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?id=14469. Check it out let me know what you think?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Didn't get as much time over the weekend as I would have liked (didn't get to test the 100hz freaky tone James Cole is hearing yet) but I did get the passenger seats (front and back) removed an the C/D Pillar plastic panel. I removed the 8" sub and Sony Amp (boy, that felt great BTW).

I did spend the last 24hrs wringing my hands over where I'm gonna mount my Amps. I have 3 (plus an MS8 which is freaking huge, larger than all my amps), and while they're all Class D and not very large, there is truly nearly no place to mount them in the vehicle that's obvious. ...that is until I discovered a CAVERN under the front seat carpet. See attached photos. This pretty much solves my problems. I'll be able to easily fit my MS8 and one Amp (maybe 2) right under the passenger seat. I'll likely install one or two amps where the old Sony used to reside and I'm good to go. I'm kind of thinking that I may be able to fit my MS8 and 2 of my Soundstream Nano amps under there.

...Just look. Good Gawd! All the Room!

(latest build info here: 2016 Ford Explorer Sport Build Log - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum )

File_000.jpeg
File_001.jpeg

Lex..

(catching up the build)

Little work on the area under the passenger seat. Work in progress of course. You can see where I'll mount the MS8 and two Soundstream TN4.900D's stacked along with power fusing in distribution between them (not pictured yet).

IMG_5482.jpg
IMG_4018.jpg
IMG_8880.jpg
IMG_9195.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mocking up the Amps. My son laid down a bit of Noico Sound Deadening behind the passenger seat. Ford only deadened in front of the front seats but not behind them (or anywhere else south of the main cabin).

B5F7C80D-907F-49F5-B984-BC22775F7A3F.jpg
B09D0567-6319-491D-B53B-54FC0ECE2B12.jpg
1C7CC44B-19FB-4F2F-AC53-BC562F7D7F65.jpg
8FE5721B-E4C4-437A-A048-D5A4A3CE9A2C.jpg

Back