License plate led camera interference | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

License plate led camera interference

Scott1055

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
Have any 2016/2017 owners had any luck finding a license plate led bulb that doesn't cause any interference with the backup camera?

I've tried these 3 already and they all cause horizontal wavy lines on the bottom half of the screen. It's are hard to see when the screen is dark but very easy when the screen is light. I was testing by putting a piece of white paper in front of the camera.

194 LED Light bulb, Yorkim® 6th Generation, Non-Polarity,12V Lights for 168, 2825,T10 5-SMD LED Bulb (Pack of 10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAG6RMM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bw-KybHDHJWZX

Philips 127916000KB2 Vision LED Car Lamp, 194 LED / T10 White 6000K, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017VORB7M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_Gm3HjnsCCXF1s

And the license plate bulbs that came with these puddle lights. http://drivebright.com/home/shop/v4-extreme-led-puddle-light-pack-brightest/

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really, that makes it that much more frustrating that other Explorers don't have the same issue (especially after trying 3 different bulbs). Are you 100% sure there is no interference? I think it may be hard to miss unless you are really looking for it. The white paper test mentioned in my first post is a easy way to tell.

I really want to get the bulbs to match the rest of the car (they stick out like a sore thumb) but not at the expense of the camera.

Do you have a picture of the interference?
I'm using jdmastar LEDs for both backup and license plate and have no issues.

Do you have a picture of the interference?
I'm using jdmastar LEDs for both backup and license plate and have no issues.
This is the best I could do. I covered the camera with a piece of white cardboard I had laying around and took pictures using burst mode from my phone. You can see horizontal wavy lines coming up from the bottom of the screen. They only show up when the license plate leds are on and when the engine is running. If you put it in reverse with the engine off the interference goes away. It's actually pretty subtle which is why I think it's easy to miss.

Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20170203102546.gif

If you have it in reverse with the engine OFF and the license plate LED ON, then shouldn't the interference still be there if caused by the LED? Have you tried putting the OEM bulbs back in to see if you get the same results?

Peter

If you have it in reverse with the engine OFF and the license plate LED ON, then shouldn't the interference still be there if caused by the LED? Have you tried putting the OEM bulbs back in to see if you get the same results?

Peter
Yes I did test again with the OEM bulbs but have actually put Sylvania Silverstar bubs in for now until I find a fix. There is no interference with them at all. They are similar to the OEM ones, just a tad whiter, but not by much.

Not sure why the issue doesn't happen with the engine off, maybe it has something to do with the alternator. I only tested it like that because someone mentioned it in a Google search I did last week.. Otherwise I would have never known to test it like that.

I can confirm with 100% certainty, that this video "noise" is present on all types of video screens when viewing a bright light.
I can see this noise on the Explorer's screen when viewing the front camera at night also, with the night lights on and my garage door as the back drop.

This noise is also present on my front dashcam and also visible on my Lexus (front HIDs and rear license plate comes with stock LEDs).

The lines you are seeing are not interference from the bulbs, they are actually scan lines as the video is drawn on the screen. LED lights do not emit a steady/constant glow as incandescent bulbs do, LED lamps actually modulate light (or flicker) at a very high frequency due to the flow of electricity. This "flickering" is picked up from the cameras as they scan an image and it is displayed the screen. The image is drawn on the screen one row at a time. When the LED light is "off" you see a line as the image goes dark. The lines will appear as they are moving up or down because the refresh rate of the screen (typically 60Hz) is out of sync with the frequency of the LED lamps. 613GT500 is correct... You will notice the same scan lines using the front camera with the LED headlights or signature LED lights reflecting off a wall in front of the vehicle. The reason you see the distortion go away with the engine off is because the voltage to the LED drops with the engine off. This drop in voltage may be just right so that the bulb is modulating at or near to the same rate as the camera/screen. Here is a link to an article that describes LED flickering in more detail... Hope this helps.
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/article...erstand-the-lighting-flicker-frustration.html

Thank you for all the informative replies, I really appreciate it!

That article pertains to household lighting. There should be more flicker on those applications because of the AC supply.

For a vehicle it is gonna be more regulated. Regulator in the alternator makes less ripple and built in regulators in leds make less ripple.

You shouldn't see as much flicker on a 12V DC led as you would on 120V AC LED bulb.

Here's a thought for the OP. Do the test and get the flicker on the screen going and rev your engine. Does it change? This in theory should increase the frequency of any ripple in voltage and smooth it out.

LED lights are semiconductors, some even have circuit boards built into the housing, maybe for voltage regulation? A cheaper less shielded unit may cause interference to other nearby electrical devices. If it only does it with the LEDs when you swap them out back to back then it would be related.

Back