• Register Today It's free!

2000 ford explorer tune up

Pudliner8

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
Well after i get this new fuel pump put in i want to do a full tune on the car.

what are the recommended parts for the list below

O2 sensors
spark plugs
Fuel Filter
Air Filter

and if i missed anything i should also change could you list that too please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plug wires.

Go through your fluids, power steering, engine oil, trans fluid (pan drop, fluid and filter change, no flush), differential fluid, for both rear and front if you have one, check out your ball joints and tie rod ends, sway bar bushings and end links too, that's a list of what I did to my 01 when I got it. Some people also clean the MAF with MAF cleaner, it's sensitive so be forewarned, also people replace the IAC because they wear out and get nasty with time, they're not expensive, I cleaned mine and replaced it a short time later.

Ok thanks I just want to make sure it runs great since I'm already throwing money out for a new pump

Well, I did all of that to mine, most of it was past due, and now I drive it mostly worry free. My truck was an $1100 truck, barely running and driving, and worth $1K without the motor here, because that's how rust free trucks go here, and I've done most all of that and made something of it.

Yea it's broken down a ton and has an engine with only 8k miles on it. I was never really a big car guy but now that I'm older and starting to have money I'm becoming more interested and would love to learn the ins and outs on this car and make it 100% reliable so I can stop worryING everytime I turn the key. I honestly have and phobia right now of driving on the highway

Well, I had a V8 one before this one, and wrecked it, been hunting a body for it since then, and I got the SOHC in my 2nd one, and you get what you pay for, I'll be clear on that one, but I've gone 2,200 miles without a major disaster now, so I've made some progress on it, my issue is now the TC isn't locking up among other trans things, got to get on that. I'm supposed to be getting a 2000 with the V8 in it as soon as the guy gets his end of the title worked out, it's rusty but I'm optimistic for it, I've learned a lot about these trucks, they're older and not worth much, but decent vehicles if you're mechanically inclined

Yea that's what I'm trying to become you can also continue to buy older cheaper vehicles if you know what you're doing as well

I eventually want to get to where I work with older vehicles some, since I see trucks like these for $200 or so all the time that need an engine or trans, and either is easy enough in my opinion to do.

Do y have brands that you recommend for everything I need to service?

Most people use Motorcraft fluids, I use Castrol a lot in the service I do, because it just works, Mobil is a great brand, just stay away from the cheap store brand junk, get reputable stuff, synthetic is recommended.

Do y have brands that you recommend for everything I need to service?
Motorcraft is strongly suggested. Are you in Johnston, NY? I can give you a distributor to get parts and fluids cheap locally.

No im in johnstown pa so just stick with motorcraft parts ok lol

Plug wires.
A couple years ago Motorcraft came up with silicon wires for these older vehicles that don't use coil-on-plug technology. These are supposedly much better than the OEM rubber type - which I have seen fail almost right out of the box. Sadly, the new type is "universal", so no cylinder markings, no separators, the connectors are very hard to properly engage in the coils, and they are a couple inches too long - at least in my case. So far they have worked great, but I only put about 10K on them.

I couldn't understand if you actually liked the Silicon ones or not in that statement

I couldn't understand if you actually liked the Silicon ones or not in that statement
I didn't like the installation - much more hassle than with the previous set, but they are supposed to last - which, I hope, is true. As I said, after a couple years of using them, so far so good. Incidentally, sorry for misspelling: it's silicone, not silicon.

What air filter would you guys recommend both for improved performance and a smoother running car?

i just checked my filter and it was almost all black or atleast way darker than the original tan or white so it definitely needs changed

I'm using a cheap Fram one I got for $10 at Walmart, it sealed the box around the edges and works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a tuneup coming up real soon (200K), for me plugs and wires. I like the K&N FIPK air filter.

Back