2005 Explorer. Broken shifter, part name, availability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer. Broken shifter, part name, availability

JasperCountyNative

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
33be7ce2-3c9b-1031-83d1-a6ebaa90d167r.jpg

This image is just like the broken column shift on my daughter's 2005 Explorer.
I know I can get the alloy part that links to the shift lever aftermarket, but the brass piece on the back side with the hard plastic ball is also damaged. Ford doesn't even seem to have a name for this part. My only option so far is to buy an entire steering column to obtain this one little part. Any suggestions on where to find one? Any idea what this is called?
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure this is nothing that you haven't thought of, but every junkyard that I have been to, has had an abundance of Ford Explorers. Go to a "you pick" yard and take it off yourself.

Good Luck

Tom

I'm sure this is nothing that you haven't thought of, but every junkyard that I have been to, has had an abundance of Ford Explorers. Go to a "you pick" yard and take it off yourself.

Good Luck

Tom
Thanks Tom,
I called one near here this morning. They have an Explorer and want $50 for the steering column, but I guess I didn't ask specifically about that one part. Maybe they will sell the column, piece by piece. Worth a try.

In all honesty that's probably a fair price. I'm assuming they will take it off. I had a similar problem with my Aviator last year. Floor shift had a rod or linkage break. I was out of town, so I had it towed to a tranny shop. They fixed it the next day, but it was somewhere around $300 to $400. I knew I got stung, but I got it fixed and was on my way. That included fluid and filter change.

Tom

In all honesty that's probably a fair price. I'm assuming they will take it off. I had a similar problem with my Aviator last year. Floor shift had a rod or linkage break. I was out of town, so I had it towed to a tranny shop. They fixed it the next day, but it was somewhere around $300 to $400. I knew I got stung, but I got it fixed and was on my way. That included fluid and filter change.

Tom
This is one of those 'you pull it' places. Regardless, it looks like my only option. Seems like someone somewhere online would have one for sale though, lol.

I've got a 02 xlt and mines broke also. I've been driving it for 10 months now with out a shifter. But if I'm not mistaken they don't sale just that part. You have to buy a completely new column. I know it doesnt cost that much to buy a column and pull it at the junkyard I just really haven't had time and haven't felt like screwing with all that when shifting it with the linkage has/is working just fine for me. The only downfall to that is I can't switch overdrive on and off.

I've got a 02 xlt and mines broke also. I've been driving it for 10 months now with out a shifter. But if I'm not mistaken they don't sale just that part. You have to buy a completely new column. I know it doesnt cost that much to buy a column and pull it at the junkyard I just really haven't had time and haven't felt like screwing with all that when shifting it with the linkage has/is working just fine for me. The only downfall to that is I can't switch overdrive on and off.
I went to a 'pick n pull' yesterday and took out a steering column. That was fun, lol. Now I just need to cut the retaining flange on the backside of the piece and remove it. The shifter part that is broken on mine is intact on the salvage column. I would like to re-use both pieces, but I don't know if I can use a split ring (as included on the aftermarket part) to re-install the salvage shifter into my truck.

Dorman part #905-104. Any auto parts store should be able to easily get one for you without the need to get an entire steering column!

Dorman part #905-104. Any auto parts store should be able to easily get one for you without the need to get an entire steering column!

Unfortunately, Dorman doesn't make that brass lever. It is considered an 'unserviceable' part. The video says that part will have to be reused.

All fixed! Unfortunately, I was unable to reuse the aluminum shifter from the salvaged column. I thought I could buy a 1/2 inch snap ring and replace the flange that holds on the brass lever with it, but there was not a sufficient groove to hold the snap ring. I bought a $39 Dorman shifter kit (snap ring included) and used it with the salvaged brass lever. Works like a charm.

Back