Went from 2013 sport to 2017, change in intake design/noise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Went from 2013 sport to 2017, change in intake design/noise?

cbehr

Reaction score
City, State
Ephrata, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
We just traded in our 2013 sport for a 2017 and there is a noticeable change in engine noise when accelerating which I'm assuming is some change to the intake? The 2013 made zero noise and the 2017 has a little bit of a growl.

My real question is will adding an aftermarket intake change the sound even more on a 2017 or is it not going to get me much of a increase?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed an Airaid CAI on my '16 Sport. It made a difference in noise and you can hear the turbos spool up. Probably no performance gain.

Exhaust system changes on the 2017 in conjunction with some engine tuning.

hmmm so even if it's the fake engine noise or change to exhaust I should still get some noticeable sound from adding an intake. I don't expect any gains really, just am more interested in the sound.

hmmm so even if it's the fake engine noise or change to exhaust I should still get some noticeable sound from adding an intake. I don't expect any gains really, just am more interested in the sound.

Not sure which brand you had in mind but it appears the members here who are happy with the sound have purchased the Livernois WindStorm CAI.

The K&N has the worst reviews.

I bought the INJEN for my 2013 Limited a few years back and the drone was painful to the ears.

Not sure which brand you had in mind but it appears the members here who are happy with the sound have purchased the Livernois WindStorm CAI.

The K&N has the worst reviews.

I bought the INJEN for my 2013 Limited a few years back and the drone was painful to the ears.

Livernois WindStorm CAI is a clone of Airaid CAI. I have no complaints with the Airaid.

I have owned a 16 Sport for a year now and wanted to install CAI too but there are more negatives then positives. The only positive is a little more growling sound, but nothing crazy. The downside is that some people experience less HP with CAI and some say that the engine actually becomes more hot, just to summarize everything that I read on this forum for more then a year.
Yeah if you spend a few K with an actual tune, you might get a few more milliseconds faster in 0-60.

It appears I misunderstood the "fake engine noise" part. It is actually called 'Active Noise Cancellation'. The audio system produces this 'Noise' in order to cancel the sound made by the engine. It is not audible and is all part of the effort to make the cabin quieter.

Peter

I've noticed that the 3.5 in our Sports have a deeper intake growl than my 2011 F150 EB had. I believe this is induction noise that is piped into the cabin as the new F150's sound like this and so did the Edge sport with the 2.7EB that I tried. I also tried a MKX 2.7EB and a Continental with the 3.0T but neither of those had any intake noise, extremely quiet and boring TBH. that 3.0 does work quite nice though.....

I've noticed that the 3.5 in our Sports have a deeper intake growl than my 2011 F150 EB had. I believe this is induction noise that is piped into the cabin .....
I've not been able to find anything in the Manual to confirm that feature.

Peter

I've not been able to find anything in the Manual to confirm that feature.

Peter
me either, but it sounds completely different than the previous 3.5 Ecoboost's that I've driven, and that's been quite a few. Everything ford makes with it other than a Flex and an MKT to be exact.

me either, but it sounds completely different than the previous 3.5 Ecoboost's that I've driven, and that's been quite a few. Everything ford makes with it other than a Flex and an MKT to be exact.
I'm coming from a 2014 MKT and it was the same as my current 2017 Platinum.

There was a post by a member a few days ago about 'engine sound enhancement' being played through the speakers. He said he disabled it on his Sport. I was unable to find anything in the Manual on that. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-new-exhaust-but-i-didnt.457513/#post-3602860

Peter
It isn't in the manual, but it is certainly a fact. Happy to answer questions if needed. Truth is, a lot of the exhaust sound folks are hearing is the enhancement being piped in through the speakers..

Not hearing any exhaust sound in the cabin. Exceptional quiet, just the way I like it.:)
It would seem kind of counter productive to have the sound piped into the cabin when the vehicle is configured with Active Noise Cancellation to drown out engine noise.

Peter

Not hearing any exhaust sound in the cabin. Exceptional quiet, just the way I like it.:)
It would seem kind of counter productive to have the sound piped into the cabin when the vehicle is configured with Active Noise Cancellation to drown out engine noise.

Peter
What's interesting is, the wires that are labeled as Active Noise Canceling, are in fact the ones that carry the symposed engine sounds. They are "creating noise." Unplugging them, or disabling ANC disables the fake engine noise.

I have a 14 sport and got the Mdesign intake. Not sure if they make those yet for the new style. Love mine. Just got it so I can hear the turbos more

Back