Anyone know when 2018 Ford Explorer will be released? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know when 2018 Ford Explorer will be released?

airdocs

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer
Anyone know when it will be released for sale?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In previous years the OK To Build (OKTB) is given around late June or early July.

Order bank usually opens for the year in March/April.

Depends on what gets changed, there's no refresh scheduled until 2019 as a 2020 model but thats a complete update/change.

18MY likely to have tech updates, color choice changes and package changes.

In previous years the OK To Build (OKTB) is given around late June or early July.

Order bank usually opens for the year in March/April.

Depends on what gets changed, there's no refresh scheduled until 2019 as a 2020 model but thats a complete update/change.

18MY likely to have tech updates, color choice changes and package changes.

Thanks Sgt for reply, I want the 17XLT, with sports appearance package, only thing holding me back is the grey suede inserts in seats with black leather, there is no way to option out of suede for all leather, without losing the sports appearance package, I'm just hoping 18 will allow for black leather seats inside with sports appearance package

I was able to order my 2015 in May if 2014 and pick it up in July so check with the dealers mid May. I get you in those suede inserts. I was waiting for the 2016 Mustang California special and they put suede on the doors and that killed it for me. Suede will look like crap after a little wear.

Anyone know if there is any pics of the new 2018 inside and out? Or when it will be released for sale?
Thanks
No info yet as mentioned. The 2017 production began June 6th with orders being accepted on March 28th. The final order date for the 2017 models has not even been set yet. It's doubtful there will be many changes to the 2018 with the 2016 having been the 'refreshed' model. As posted, the 2020 is for now, supposed to be a redesign.

Peter

Thanks Sgt for reply, I want the 17XLT, with sports appearance package, only thing holding me back is the grey suede inserts in seats with black leather, there is no way to option out of suede for all leather, without losing the sports appearance package, I'm just hoping 18 will allow for black leather seats inside with sports appearance package

Thats funny because when I saw the XLT Appearance Package I saw exterior first with those wheels I love and thought the Explorer Marketing Team nailed it. Then I saw the suede seats later and couldn't believe the same people that did the exterior packaging did that. Love the wheels, hate the seats.

Could you get the suede dyed professionally or is that a nightmare waiting to happen?

Thats funny because when I saw the XLT Appearance Package I saw exterior first with those wheels I love and thought the Explorer Marketing Team nailed it. Then I saw the suede seats later and couldn't believe the same people that did the exterior packaging did that. Love the wheels, hate the seats.

Could you get the suede dyed professionally or is that a nightmare waiting to happen?

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I like the two-tone seats. At first having them suede versus just a different color of leather bothered me a bit, but I don't even notice it anymore. And since cooled seats aren't an option it's nice that the main part of where you sit never gets quite as hot as the outer seats do if you happen to park in the sun. Had they done just the two-tone and not added the red (is it red? or reddish orange? haha) stitching I might not like them as much, but to me they kind of add to the 'sport' feel. *shrugs*

Not saying you guys are wrong and I'm right. I do wish they would give you guys the option to 'select out' of the seats.

At this point, I am debating waiting for the '18 to see if they have added automatic braking rather than the pre-load.

At this point, I am debating waiting for the '18 to see if they have added automatic braking rather than the pre-load.
Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:

Peter

Any word on the 18's???

Well dang! I have a 2013 Limited and they started production on those in March 2012! I want a Platinum now and have been putting it off thinking the 2018 would be coming out soon. Looks like I'll be ordering a custom 2017 since it's impossible to find one with Black interior (I really don't like the white/cream interior) with a second row bench seat.

Thank you airdocs for providing the link!

Well dang! I have a 2013 Limited and they started production on those in March 2012! I want a Platinum now and have been putting it off thinking the 2018 would be coming out soon. Looks like I'll be ordering a custom 2017 since it's impossible to find one with Black interior (I really don't like the white/cream interior) with a second row bench seat.

Thank you airdocs for providing the link!
Are you aware that the 2018 will be a 'refresh' model as per reports here? Not sure if that is enough to tempt you to wait?;)

Are you aware that the 2018 will be a 'refresh' model as per reports here? Not sure if that is enough to tempt you to wait?;)

I know! I'm at that critical point of trade in or get new tires, brakes, etc. So I was thinking I could go a couple more months but 7 months is pushing it!! Especially considering I travel for work for time to time. Plus I've been on wanting a new car since November!!

I know! I'm at that critical point of trade in or get new tires, breaks, etc. So I was thinking I could go a couple more months but 7 months is pushing it!! Especially considering I travel for work for time to time. Plus I've been on wanting a new car since November!!
If your tires are that bad, you're going to get hit with the trade value anyways for having to replace them. So you might as well replace them regardless.

I actually don't see that happening for good reason. I watched a video on Ford's approach to this tech, and I think it's the right way to go. Automatic braking means you need to reliably get rid of all false positives, and I've heard some crazy stories about Audi/Volvo doing false positive hard braking. That's that kind of stuff that causes car accidents.

I think Ford's current implementation is ideal. Works great. And yes, I do get false positives (mostly when dealing with sharper curves, exits -- and occasionally dips in the road), but if I don't hit the brakes, nothing bad happens. I've only experienced a pre-load once when I was slowing down during a false positive. It was a little jarring but no harm, because I immediately let off the brakes after I slowed quicker than I wanted. The most worrying situation would be taking an exit, but you really shouldn't be slowing down that late. I have a habit of slowing down before I start the turn, so I'm not hitting the brakes during the turn.

It's a critical difference because you remain in control.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back