Ordering a New 2017 Ford Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordering a New 2017 Ford Explorer Limited

Fetch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Hi, my name is Chase, from Alberta, Canada.

We have decided to trade in Yukon and get something a bit smaller and better on fuel.
Were going to order a 2017 Ford Explorer Limited tomorrow, in the White Platinum, 301A group, 2nd row heated buckets, no console.
Wondering what we should do for accessories, go with ford brand or go aftermarket to save a little cash.
-Roof rails crossbars are $210, seem to be decent priced based on aftermarket.
-Splash guards, front and rear $455, that seems outrageous, can get weather tech or husky liner ones for way cheaper.
-20" polish aluminum wheels $650, being in northern Alberta, with our gross roads and such(we also drive down 4km's of gravel to acreage) not sure if these hold up better than the premium painted wheels that come stock. But will likely get a set of winter rims and tires anyways.
-Dual-Headrest DVD Entertainment System $2100, seems a bit expensive, but we've had them on our last 2 vehicles and are nice and handy. Don't have to worry about making sure tablets are charged, then getting them setup in vehicle, kids throwing them around. Just pop in a movie and done. Peace and quit, haha.
-All weather floor mats, seems like again, husky liner or weather tech are a way better option and are better suited.

Also gonna get it 3m protected, hood, fenders, mirrors, bumper, A pillar and roof, door sills and luggage area.

TIA

Chase

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Chase.:wave:
Chase and Fetch, sounds like you have dogs?:D
In case you were not aware, the load limit on the roof rack is 45 lbs with the moonroof and 100 lbs. without.
As for the splash guards check out the Ford Accessories store. I'm guessing the prices shown are for each guard. Still a savings. https://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/explorer/2017/exterior/splash-guards.html
I've used a set of dedicated 18" Winter wheels and tires to replace the OEM 20". Bought the police interceptor ones from the dealer. I had them on my previous MKT and am running them now on the Platinum. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-tires-and-wheels.372353/page-13#post-3352615
For liners, I always use the Husky ones as the fronts will cover most of that carpeted area over to the door sill. WeatherTechs don't.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Chase.:wave:
Chase and Fetch, sounds like you have dogs?:D
In case you were not aware, the load limit on the roof rack is 45 lbs with the moonroof and 100 lbs. without.
As for the splash guards check out the Ford Accessories store. I'm guessing the prices shown are for each guard. Still a savings. https://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/explorer/2017/exterior/splash-guards.html
I've used a set of dedicated 18" Winter wheels and tires to replace the OEM 20". Bought the police interceptor ones from the dealer. I had them on my previous MKT and am running them now on the Platinum. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-tires-and-wheels.372353/page-13#post-3352615
For liners, I always use the Husky ones as the fronts will cover most of that carpeted area over to the door sill. WeatherTechs don't.

Peter

Hi Peter

Close friends and family call me Fetch, my uncle gave me the nick name as a child, go Fetch me a beer!

Its good you mentioned the sun roof, because we were really on the fence on whether to get it or not, but with what your stated, if makes our decision easy! We load our XL thule when going on trips and 45lbs wouldn't cut it! ha.

For splash guards, Yah weird when you go and build one they want over $400 for them all. I'm guessing there's install fee built in price?

Good call on the Husky liners, was leaning toward them anyways.

Thanks!
Chase

The roof weight limits appear to be more for vehicle stability than actual weight that the roof can support. It was discussed on here a while ago and that was the conclusion that seemed to be reached. Not sure why the splash guards have different pricing. I recall that they were around $99 on my 2011 Limited but had them plus the installation thrown in for free. It's strange because usually aftermarket items are more costly. For example if you order the 2nd row console with the vehicle it is $150. I asked for a quote on one from the dealer and I believe he said it was $423 (CDN) plus installation. The Accessories Store shows it at $528.

Anything else i need to know about? My first Ford, got tired of dealing with GMC around these parts. Drive dodge for work, so this will be new.

Nothing that comes to mind at the moment. If you want you can view or download (PDF) info including the Owners Manual from this site; https://owner.ford.com/tools/accoun...sults.html?make=Ford&model=Explorer&year=2017
The Forum also has a handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that you should familiarize yourself with to find various thread topics. Not much that hasn't been posted about.
See if they'll throw in the accessory splash guards or the OEM cargo liner if you're thinking about getting one. If the 3rd seats will be up most of the time then perhaps that isn't something you need. Never hurts to ask.

Peter

Hey Chase, I'm pretty new here and have taken lots of advice from peterk9....(thanks Peter).

I'm getting my Ex Limited later this week and have ordered the following accessories: roof rails from ford, bug deflector will be from ford, possibly locking gas cap from ford, mud guards from ford, floor liners from Husky, side window deflectors from weatherteck, wheel locks from Gorilla and later front and back cameras from black vue I think it was...oh ya, 20" polished alum wheel upgrade..., We don't have much gravel thrown down in the winter , but tons of salt here in the Toronto area and so I got steel wheels with winters for winter .

the reason for polished over painted alum wheels is exactly that... the painted ones will start to chip/flake over time...,I think the brushed ones will look better in the long run..., provided you keep them out of the salt.

That's my 2 cents...

Hey Chase, I'm pretty new here and have taken lots of advice from peterk9....(thanks Peter).

I'm getting my Ex Limited later this week and have ordered the following accessories: roof rails from ford, bug deflector will be from ford, possibly locking gas cap from ford, mud guards from ford, floor liners from Husky, side window deflectors from weatherteck, wheel locks from Gorilla and later front and back cameras from black vue I think it was...oh ya, 20" polished alum wheel upgrade..., We don't have much gravel thrown down in the winter , but tons of salt here in the Toronto area and so I got steel wheels with winters for winter .

the reason for polished over painted alum wheels is exactly that... the painted ones will start to chip/flake over time...,I think the brushed ones will look better in the long run..., provided you keep them out of the salt.

That's my 2 cents...
I believe that the polished wheels have a kind of clear coating on them. Something to keep in mind when cleaning them. I vaguely recall a discussion on that.
EDIT: found the thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/aluminum-wheel-corrosion.426481/

Peter

I believe that the polished wheels have a kind of clear coating on them. Something to keep in mind when cleaning them. I vaguely recall a discussion on that.
EDIT: found the thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/aluminum-wheel-corrosion.426481/

Peter
Wow!!!! Thanks for that Peter.

It's been so long that I completely forgot about that... I can't believe that blew past me.. so now I've spent extra $$$ for those polished wheels and they may hold up worse than the painted ones....

For the past 15 Years or so I've had chrome rims on 2 vehicles and know the issues with those corroding/ peeling around the bead area causing air leaks and yes, they also peel from the back side to the front despite my best efforts .... but never thought about the polished wheels and clear cost despite that fact that I actually knew that... totally forgot ... put it down to too much life experiences

I guess I'll just have to be careful and keep an eye on them.

Hey Chase, I stand corrected..... seems the painted ones will probably be more durable....

Yah I'm gonna powder coat the wheels when they come in so will be fairly durable. My chrome ones on my Yukon after 3 years are toast.

Yah I'm gonna powder coat the wheels when they come in so will be fairly durable. My chrome ones on my Yukon after 3 years are toast.
Sound like a plan.

Funny enough, I gave my 2week old Ex limited with buckets and console a quick hand wash today and was washing my clear coated 20" polished wheels while all along thinking of this thread and how long they would last .... for the moment, they look really good when clean.

By the way Fetch, the Husky liners are great ... all three rows... got credit card statement and they end up costing just over $500 cdn ouch! But really like them.

Apparently my mud flaps are in and yes labour is included and I should have them installed next Friday along with the Ford bug deflector.

Found out from the dealer that they get the apprentices to do these types of installs.... hmmm ... maybe should do them myself

And the Ford gas lock fits like a glove.

Got an update this morning, explorer is on the train leaving Chicago :p

When do you take delivery of it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Still waiting for your VIN?

Peter
Thanks Peter! Glad to be here. Yes, still waiting for the VIN. I have an order number and a dealer code from my dealer, but all the sites I check say no vehicle found. :(

Back