Liftgate Trim Removal - Help? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate Trim Removal - Help?

Did you have to take it all the way off before you did the plasti dip? did you just loosen some if it?
How is plasti dip wearing? I heard car washes are hard on plasti dip.
I have 2016 and i want to change chrome to black. I wish i could lose "explorer" too — but i think that is too big of a dream.
joe in detroit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@dora51032 and @j3000000 I'm considering doing the plasti dip on the same part on my 17 Ex, can either of you comment on the durability of the plasti dip?

@dora51032 and @j3000000 I'm considering doing the plasti dip on the same part on my 17 Ex, can either of you comment on the durability of the plasti dip?
@BradleyFord mine was still holding strong, some faded lines but isn't noticeable. i am restoring it by applying some plastic treatment like armorall or black to black

I can get a black trim piece off a same year Police Interceptor Utility but they are for PIU's without cameras. My XLT has a camera.

Is it possible to add my existing camera to a trim piece from a vehicle with no camera? I don't mind if I have to do a little Dremel work to add the camera housing. I tried painting my chrome trim but even with steel wooling the surface and using automotive paint it's peeling so I'd like to replace it with a factory black one. Anyone try this before?

I sanded and painted mine with black high temp paint over a year ago and haven't had any issues with peeling so far. (Knock on wood)

I was thinking about this also as that panel is the only chrome on the whole Base model....

I would rather just paint it than try to remove it....

While the plasticdip looks interesting and removable... I was considering the black chrome product from Dupicolor...

Has anyone done that? If you are unfamiliar with the product here is the site..

https://duplicolor.com/product/shadow-chrome-black-out-coating

Any opinions would be appreciated...

Mine was previously painted but that paint is peeling in spots. I need to get the trim piece off so I can scrape and sand and use some proper epoxy based self priming paint.

I plastidipped mine without removing it and added a bit of glossifier to it. Just mask it all the way around and you should be fine. Try using a razor around the gaps if needed so to prevent pulling off too much.
I'm considering just wrapping it in vinyl next. I'll add pics if I decide to go that route.

Welcome to the Forum d_a_m.:wave:

Peter

I ended up removing my trim completely. Needed that Torx driver to get the camera out but it was pretty easy. Unplugged the wiring and DONE. One caution, I threw masking tape around the locating pins that are part of the trim piece while it was loose, dangling from the wires, etc. as I dismantled the camera mounting. This prevented them from swinging free and scratching the paint. Once covered in masking tape it was safe.

I power sanded the old paint off and scuffed up the chrome plating to give the new paint more "tooth." I used VHT Epoxy satin black. This is one of the toughest and "stickiest" paints around. Very robust. It was a nice day so after I did an alcohol wipe down I let the trim warm up and gave it several coats. I let it dry in the warm sun thoroughly and remounted it. No problem. It's actually been a few weeks since I did that and the paint is holding up 100% and looks great.

Exp_BackRENU.jpg

Can anyone post a pic of the inside of the hatch above the glass with the top trim piece removed, I'll be looking to route a harness thru the rubber boot from the hatch to the body.

Back