Radiator Hose Damaged | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Hose Damaged

Bob Explorer 200

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've got a 2002 Explorer with 4.0 liter engine and, while trying to replace the tensioner pulley of the serpentine belt today, I noticed that one of the radiator hoses (the one running from the bottom of the coolant reservoir to the lower right side of the radiator) had been laying up against the tensioner pulley. It had been abraded by the friction to the point that it had worn a hole through both the outer protective covering and the hose itself and I now had a serious leak when the engine was running.

So I was hoping someone here might be able to answer a few questions.
1. First off, I want to make sure I get the correct hose at the parts store tomorrow and was wondering where online I might find a diagram of this engine that would identify the name of hose. As I said, it's the one running from the bottom of the coolant reservoir to the lower right side of the radiator. My guess is that it's what the parts stores are calling the lower radiator hose but not really sure.
2. Is it necessary or advisable replace the hose clamps also?
3. The owners guide specifies either of two Motorcraft coolants but I'm guessing these will be a good deal more expensive than other brands. Should I stick with the Motorcraft or will other work just as well? Any recommendations on other brands and/or types of coolant?
4. The owners manual doesn't show the cold start full capacity of reservoir + radiator. If I do a full replacement, will one bottle and an equal amount of water suffice here?
5. Other than pliers, a screwdriver and a basin to catch the liquid, do I need any other tools?
6. Anyone have any other suggestions or advise that might come in handy?

I'll really appreciate any help or advise here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. First off, I want to make sure I get the correct hose at the parts store tomorrow and was wondering where online I might find a diagram of this engine that would identify the name of hose. As I said, it's the one running from the bottom of the coolant reservoir to the lower right side of the radiator. My guess is that it's what the parts stores are calling the lower radiator hose but not really sure.
2. Is it necessary or advisable replace the hose clamps also?
3. The owners guide specifies either of two Motorcraft coolants but I'm guessing these will be a good deal more expensive than other brands. Should I stick with the Motorcraft or will other work just as well? Any recommendations on other brands and/or types of coolant?
4. The owners manual doesn't show the cold start full capacity of reservoir + radiator. If I do a full replacement, will one bottle and an equal amount of water suffice here?
5. Other than pliers, a screwdriver and a basin to catch the liquid, do I need any other tools?
6. Anyone have any other suggestions or advise that might come in handy?

1. Yes, it would just be the lower radiator hose. It may end up looking like it goes 3 ways; one side comes off the reservoir/overflow, one side goes to the radiator, and the third end goes into the engine.
2. Wouldn't be a bad idea; if you get the hose from the dealership it'll probably come with new spring clamps on it. But if your existing clamps are in decent shape and not all rusty or corroded, you could probably reuse them. I've heard using the screw-style hose clamps on radiator hoses is not a great idea (you run the risk of overtightening the clamp, and the band could dig into the rubber hose and cause leakage).
3. I don't know how much more Motorcraft coolant is versus other brands...I can't imagine it being that much more. Of course the vehicle's owner's manual is going to recommend parts made by the manufacturer of the vehicle...but other brands are just fine. Prestone, Peak, et al. Just make sure you use the same color coolant as what's in your vehicle...there's gold and green. Don't mix the two.
4. 2002 Explorer Coolant Capacity: (quarts) 16.3 V-6/18.6 V-8. Since you're pulling the lower hose, it's a pretty safe bet you'll be replacing all the coolant. It's gonna make a mess when you take that hose off, unless you've already lost all the coolant.
Also note that there is a "Cold Fill" line on the reservoir.
5. No, that would be about it...if you do have those spring clamps on the hoses, your best bet might be to invest in a set of pliers made for those. I think a decent set runs around $40. It'll make life easier than struggling with regular pliers.
6. As far as mixing the coolant with water, get distilled water. Don't get those 50/50 pre-mix as those tend to be more expensive than straight coolant. Total, you'd need a little over 4 or just under 5 gallons of coolant & water (depending on engine size)...so if you have the V6, 2 gallons of coolant and 2 gallons of distilled water is a lot cheaper than 4 gallons of the 50/50.

EDIT: One more thing...when you refill the system, you may need to "burp" it make sure the air is out of the system. I've done this on my Mustang when all the coolant was evacuated from the system, but when I replaced the upper hose on my Explorer, it didn't seem like it needed to be "burped."

1. Yes, it would just be the lower radiator hose. It may end up looking like it goes 3 ways; one side comes off the reservoir/overflow, one side goes to the radiator, and the third end goes into the engine.
2. Wouldn't be a bad idea; if you get the hose from the dealership it'll probably come with new spring clamps on it. But if your existing clamps are in decent shape and not all rusty or corroded, you could probably reuse them. I've heard using the screw-style hose clamps on radiator hoses is not a great idea (you run the risk of overtightening the clamp, and the band could dig into the rubber hose and cause leakage).
3. I don't know how much more Motorcraft coolant is versus other brands...I can't imagine it being that much more. Of course the vehicle's owner's manual is going to recommend parts made by the manufacturer of the vehicle...but other brands are just fine. Prestone, Peak, et al. Just make sure you use the same color coolant as what's in your vehicle...there's gold and green. Don't mix the two.
4. 2002 Explorer Coolant Capacity: (quarts) 16.3 V-6/18.6 V-8. Since you're pulling the lower hose, it's a pretty safe bet you'll be replacing all the coolant. It's gonna make a mess when you take that hose off, unless you've already lost all the coolant.
Also note that there is a "Cold Fill" line on the reservoir.
5. No, that would be about it...if you do have those spring clamps on the hoses, your best bet might be to invest in a set of pliers made for those. I think a decent set runs around $40. It'll make life easier than struggling with regular pliers.
6. As far as mixing the coolant with water, get distilled water. Don't get those 50/50 pre-mix as those tend to be more expensive than straight coolant. Total, you'd need a little over 4 or just under 5 gallons of coolant & water (depending on engine size)...so if you have the V6, 2 gallons of coolant and 2 gallons of distilled water is a lot cheaper than 4 gallons of the 50/50.

EDIT: One more thing...when you refill the system, you may need to "burp" it make sure the air is out of the system. I've done this on my Mustang when all the coolant was evacuated from the system, but when I replaced the upper hose on my Explorer, it didn't seem like it needed to be "burped."

Thanks very much, IIGood. After reading your post, it sounds like it might be a good idea to replace both hoses at this time since I'm going to have to drain/replace all the coolant anyway.

There are tons of threads on coolant type. There is no approved Prestone product.

If you don't get Motorcraft Gold gold from the dealer you'll need to get one of the following:

zxg051.jpg

$18.99
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/AFZA/G05/N0496.oap

fca0b3fleet.jpg

$16.99
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/AFZ9/FLEET/N0496.oap

As for hoses, if you don't get Motorcraft I'd go with Gates or Continental.

zn8l7t.jpg

At a little over 16 quarts you will need 2 bottles of antifreeze and 2 bottles of distilled water.

Yep, certainly not a bad idea to do both hoses. Especially if they haven't been changed in a while.

Thanks, friends. But, TechGuru, is it really important to use one of those three specific coolants, or will other brands do the job also?

Thanks, friends. But, TechGuru, is it really important to use one of those three specific coolants, or will other brands do the job also?

Like I said, there is no compatible Prestone product. So I'd say yes, of those three I'm sure you can find one of them locally and the price is similar to Prestone.

Look at this here chart: http://images.oreillyauto.com/uploads/pdf/ad/SD_672 AFZ Comparison Chart-1.pdf

Explorer's need "Nitrites" "Low Silicate" and "No Phosphates"

dzcs28.jpg

I used Prestone/Peak before when Zerex wasn't widely available, didn't do any damage as long as you change your coolant after or every 3 yrs
I used Zerex green (mounty and continental) and gold (mustang and navigator) now since they're available at most parts store. I even used the Prestone stuff for my BMW which others frowned upon..

I used Prestone/Peak before when Zerex wasn't widely available, didn't do any damage as long as you change your coolant after or every 3 yrs
I used Zerex green (mounty and continental) and gold (mustang and navigator) now since they're available at most parts store. I even used the Prestone stuff for my BMW which others frowned upon..

Since most of us neglect the cooling system I prefer the Peak FleetCharge as it's intended to be a fill for life coolant by the manufacture.

Back