U.S. driver safety group sues Ford over touch-screen systems | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U.S. driver safety group sues Ford over touch-screen systems

I had almost the exact same scenario happen with my wife in the car, after she stopped laughing hysterically she said she would never drive a Ford because of that very issue. Now she drives a 2016 Jeep GC Overland High Altitude with UConnect. I have to admit the current UConnect beats both MFT and SYNC3 for GUI ease of use, feature set, and functionality.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have to put this out there though... my wife had a major issue with the Navigation about a month ago. She decided to record it because she was going to put her fist through the screen.
The MFT Navigation is the biggest POS of it all. It is slow to initiate, frustrating to use, the resolution on the maps is terrible.

I knew it when I bought the '16, so I don't ***** about it. I just look at it as $800 or so dollars I flushed because when I went looking for a vehicle I could not find a '16 without it that had all the other features I wanted. I just use my phone when I really need navigation.

We'll see whether the class action suit goes anywhere. If it does, well, whatever I get I will like. If not, so be it.

[QUOTE="dco43054, post: 3580925, member: 16790"]The MFT Navigation is the biggest POS of it all. It is slow to initiate, frustrating to use, the resolution on the maps is terrible.

I knew it when I bought the '16, so I don't ***** about it. I just look at it as $800 or so dollars I flushed because when I went looking for a vehicle I could not find a '16 without it that had all the other features I wanted. I just use my phone when I really need navigation.

We'll see whether the class action suit goes anywhere. If it does, well, whatever I get I will like. If not, so be it.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.. I had this '16 Sport for just over a month now and the navigation system is the dumbest I've ever experienced. It's an embarrassment. They should base a TV series on it like the old "Lost in Space" series and call it "Lost in States" based on owner experiences. And, just like the video posted above I've been through THAT several times. Yes, mine has the latest maps, V-7, I believe the salesman said.
It's sad one has to take along a $125.00 Garmin Nuvi in a vehicle with a big bucks navigation system to get to where one wants to go.
That Sirius option is not that great either. Suppose to be commercial free but, yet on a regular basis they plug their own product. Lost signals numerous times too. I'm not into sports radio, news radio, church radio, comedy radio etc.
On the plus side, I like the USB port. I took a 16 Gig thumb drive and loaded every music CD that I own on it. Now I can drive around for weeks, not hear the same song twice and be commercial free.

Stable? Last night we went to the Welk Theater in Branson, MO for show using our Navagation in the EX. It took us past the theater about quarter mile down the road. That was after the center screen used my phone to make a call four times. The screen in the dash advised to select privacy. Rear camera stayed on wheni i went into drive. The list goes on and that was for one day!
I have been running on 3.6 for a very long time. No issues what so ever. It works smoothly with my iPhone 6 plus. Siri sends my text messages via talk to text. Navigation is working perfectly. I don't have any issues at all. I just bought an S8 Plus and I am updating to v 3.10 today. I will see how it works with MFT.

We just finished a 3 day trip exploring Spokane Washington in frustration with our 2013 limited.
Same experience as Blwnsmokes's Wife.. :mad:
We were well past freeway exits by the time the screen caught up.
My Wife ended up setting her cell phone in front of the nav screen so we could find our way around.
Dealer says our system is up to date.
Love the Explorer, just wish the nav was a good as the rest of the vehicle.

Updated to 3.10 about 4 weeks ago / no more problems with sd-card but: driving longer time at 110 mph the gps works some times incorrect it means the pile on the screen shows me beside the highway / it needs a couple of minutes to get the correct location back ! Another issue is back or not changed: the info displays disappear after about 2 hours continious driving for about 5 seconds...and came back !
No problems with my cell phone before and after updating / about 3 seconds in the car and my (no i-)phone is paired...

When will this Class Action Suit make it to court?

[QUOTE="dco43054, post: 3580925, member: 16790"]The MFT Navigation is the biggest POS of it all. It is slow to initiate, frustrating to use, the resolution on the maps is terrible.

We'll see whether the class action suit goes anywhere. If it does, well, whatever I get I will like. If not, so be it.

I agree 100%.. I had this '16 Sport for just over a month now and the navigation system is the dumbest I've ever experienced. It's an embarrassment. They should base a TV series on it like the old "Lost in Space" series and call it "Lost in States" based on owner experiences. And, just like the video posted above I've been through THAT several times. Yes, mine has the latest maps, V-7, I believe the salesman said.
It's sad one has to take along a $125.00 Garmin Nuvi in a vehicle with a big bucks navigation system to get to where one wants to go.
That Sirius option is not that great either. Suppose to be commercial free but, yet on a regular basis they plug their own product. Lost signals numerous times too. I'm not into sports radio, news radio, church radio, comedy radio etc.
On the plus side, I like the USB port. I took a 16 Gig thumb drive and loaded every music CD that I own on it. Now I can drive around for weeks, not hear the same song twice and be commercial free.[/QUOTE]
Lost of 'signal' is a satellite blocked issue, like trees, tunnels and bridges. As far the nav itself, my hackerster is running true ford A6, inputting the address by hand is slow but hasn't failed. sync2 is running 3.8xx.
As Sirius does run self commercials but I just bump +/- and move to a different station. I find up to date news important - patriot, nascar, fox, and the sports covering races, football, college teams etc.
I find it a most useful tool on my 6 hrs round trips.

Just an update on the navigation that doesn't know how to get there.

I took the car to the dealer several weeks ago and they performed an update on the head unit and whatever else. I sat there for nearly 2 hours but, the navigation may be more accurate. They said it now has all the latest software loaded in it now.

I've only put a few hundred miles on the car since then and now plus, haven't been in the areas where this nav has known by me to get "lost". So, I don't know how accurate this nav is now.

Unfortunately, they never told me they wiped out all of the "saved" info and settings on the head unit. LOL. I had to pull over and reload / pair all of that stuff.

On the plus side, I like the USB port. I took a 16 Gig thumb drive and loaded every music CD that I own on it. Now I can drive around for weeks, not hear the same song twice and be commercial free.
Lost of 'signal' is a satellite blocked issue, like trees, tunnels and bridges. As far the nav itself, my hackerster is running true ford A6, inputting the address by hand is slow but hasn't failed. sync2 is running 3.8xx.
As Sirius does run self commercials but I just bump +/- and move to a different station. I find up to date news important - patriot, nascar, fox, and the sports covering races, football, college teams etc.
I find it a most useful tool on my 6 hrs round trips.[/QUOTE]

I think v3.10 is the latest for MFT SYNC2 not v3.8

Not a big fan of class action anything, but seems like enough people had it with Sync.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-driver-safety-group-sues-235510827.html

(Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (NYS:F) has been hit with a proposed class action claiming it neglected to fix defects in vehicle touch-screen control systems that create safety hazards for drivers.

The lawsuit was filed Monday in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California by the Center for Defensive Driving, a non-profit driver safety group. The plaintiffs are bringing the lawsuit on behalf of customers who purchased or leased Ford vehicles equipped with a MyFord Touch system, as well as variations like MyLincoln Touch and MyMercury Touch.

According to the lawsuit, customers have complained that the system freezes up, malfunctions, blacks out and fails to connect with mobile devices. The complaint said system flaws have created "significant safety risks" for drivers, diverting their attention from the road when the product malfunctions and failing to contact 911 during emergencies as designed.

Ford launched MyFord Touch in vehicles in 2010. The system was designed to centralize audio, navigation, climate, mobile-device, entertainment and safety controls through LCD interfaces powered by Microsoft's Sync operating system. The MyFord Touch system can be controlled via a touch-screen panel, voice commands or by buttons on the steering wheel.

Since its launch, however, MyFord Touch and other so-called infotainment systems in Ford vehicles have been an "unmitigated disaster," plaintiffs said in the lawsuit.

A representative for Ford declined to comment, citing the pending litigation.

Ford, the second-largest U.S. automaker, reported 400 problems with its MyFord Touch system for every 1,000 vehicles in November 2012. The company previously said it aims to lower that number to 360 by August.

Automakers have struggled to create easy-to-use and effective touch-screen systems that integrate entertainment and navigation systems.

Ford has faced public criticism over its systems from some customers. At least two websites, including syncsucks.com, have been set up to chronicle customers' problems with the systems, the complaint said. Customers also have lodged complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration over the system, according to the lawsuit.

"In theory, MyFord Touch is a brilliant idea and worth the premium that Ford charged its customers for the system," plaintiffs' lawyer Steve Berman of Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro said in a statement. "In reality, the system is fundamentally flawed, failing to reliably provide functionality, amounting to an inconvenience at best, and a serious safety issue at worst."

Ford said in a June press release that Sync and MyFord Touch were sold on nearly 80 percent of 2013 Ford vehicles, up from 68 percent in 2012.

Ford has issued several updates to address issues with the system, but the complaint said that the updates failed to address plaintiffs' problems.

The company said in June that it is also planning to add buttons and knobs to MyFord Touch systems in future vehicles.

Plaintiffs are seeking a court order compelling Ford to recall or replace the systems, as well as damages.

(Reporting by Jessica Dye, Editing by Noeleen Walder)
Mine working fine and is the second type I've owned. Even better with forscan touch ups.

But like any 'class action' free this or that amounts to a hill of beans compare to what the blood-sucks attorneys receive.

Back