Sync does not accept incoming calls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync does not accept incoming calls

lvbassist

Reaction score
City, State
Bethlehem, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Hi.
I am new to this site looking for some answers and help with our 2107 Ford Explorer.
The vehicle is great. But. We are having an issue with Sync.
We have the XLT trim and just plain Sync. Not Sync 3 or others.
My phone, iPhone 6s Plus, is the main phone for Sync.
When I am getting a call, Sync does not allow me to answer it from the controls on the steering wheel nor does it notify you of an incoming call.
However. Once the call is answered, it transfers over to Sync and I am hands-free.
Also. When placing a call, I can use Sync and be hands-free.
It is only the incoming calls that are an issue.
I had the same set up in our 2013 Dodge Durango that used U-Connect. Same phone. Everything else is the same and U-Connect always accepted the incoming calls....
I have checked other forums and tried the suggestions. I have deleted the phone on reinstalled and the same thing happens.
Any ideas on how to fix this? I really need Sync to accept the incoming calls.
Or. Must I go back to the dealer?
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. I doubt too many people know much about the 2107 Explorer yet. We are still trying to figure out the 2018.:D
There is a thread that reports that there is non sound with an incoming call but that does not appear to be your issue. I don't know if 're-pairing' the phone would help or not or if you've tried that. Perhaps other members will be more helpful.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. I doubt too many people know much about the 2107 Explorer yet. We are still trying to figure out the 2018.:D
There is a thread that reports that there is non sound with an incoming call but that does not appear to be your issue. I don't know if 're-pairing' the phone would help or not or if you've tried that. Perhaps other members will be more helpful.

Peter
Thanks Peter,
Yes, there is no sound to alert me that a call is coming in.
However. If my phone is in the dock and I see a call is coming when I try to engage the button to answer. it will not answer.
When I answer as if I were not in the Explorer, then Sync kicks in and I can talk through Sync.
I have deleted and re-paired the phone several times and the issue is still there.

Thanks much for your response.

Craig

Is the "Do not disturb" turned off?

Is the "Do not disturb" turned off?
The do not disturb was on, but, only from 10 pm to 7 am. I am assuming you meant on the iPhone since I cannot find a do not disturb on Sync.
So. Turned off the do not disturb, but, still, Sync does not receive the incoming call.
Turned the iPhone on and off. Same thing.
I do have hearing aids the connect to my phone via Bluetooth, but, the phone is set for both headphones(hearing aids) and car. Still the same.
I am at a loss and may need to go back to the dealer or do a reset? or factory reset? ut then I have to load everything back into sync again.

The do not disturb was on, but, only from 10 pm to 7 am. I am assuming you meant on the iPhone since I cannot find a do not disturb on Sync.
Page 442 & 443 of the Owner's Manual, 3rd printing;
Do Not Disturb;
Touch this button to send all calls directly to your voicemail.
New text message notifications are not displayed on the screen
and all ringtones and alerts are set to silent.

Peter

I've been having very similar problems with my 2014 Ford Explorer. I have the iPhone 7 and started having this issue several iPhone updates ago. There are many times when Sync does not recognize that a call is coming in. I've had many times where my phone will ring, I can answer it from the steering wheel, but then neither myself nor the caller can hear each other. I've been able to do a workaround when this happens by clicking on the audio button on the phone to iPhone, then quickly clicking the audio back to Sync. This is not optimal, nor safe at all, but its been the only way to make it work when calls do this. It's been fairly sporadic, but it happens probably 50-60% of incoming calls.

I've also had issues lately where the whole sync system will just shutdown, reboot and perform "system maintenance". It always comes back on after a few minutes, but it is very frustrating to deal with.

So. Turned off the do not disturb, but, still, Sync does not receive the incoming call.
Turned the iPhone on and off. Same thing.
I do have hearing aids the connect to my phone via Bluetooth, but, the phone is set for both headphones(hearing aids) and car. Still the same.
I am at a loss and may need to go back to the dealer or do a reset? or factory reset? ut then I have to load everything back into sync again.
I have hearing aids also and have the same problem. If I take the batteries out, it solves the problem. I have tried other things with no success. If I answer the call on my phone all works well.

I have hearing aids also and have the same problem. If I take the batteries out, it solves the problem. I have tried other things with no success. If I answer the call on my phone all works well.
Welcome to the Forum Sam. :wave:

Peter

Back