Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

mjshaw80

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer PI

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the OEM console offered as a factory installed option on the PI. Its basically a retail console with a different face plate that does not have the shiftier hole.

BTW if anyone wants an OEM retail console from a 2015 that was removed at purchase, let me know. I will give mine away for shipping costs. I scavenged a few panels off it, but for the most part its just collecting dust in my garage.

K5OUN, I just recently converted my 17' PIU from column shift to floor shift. I could probably always keep some extra parts around. Could you PM me some pics of what you have left on your console? Or you can text them to me. Just curious as to what you have left.

I ordered mine with the interior upgrade package so I already had the console. Just had to change the top plate, add a shifter and do a bunch of wiring. I plan on doing a write up soon.

Yea, PM me your number and I will text ya some pic's this evening. Its mostly complete, missing side panels, rear ac controls, & all power outlets/Aux input panel. Most of the mounts are included, I think one or two were needed to mount my Havis console. Doubt I can locate any of the mounting screws.

K5OUN, I just recently converted my 17' PIU from column shift to floor shift. I could probably always keep some extra parts around. Could you PM me some pics of what you have left on your console? Or you can text them to me. Just curious as to what you have left.

I ordered mine with the interior upgrade package so I already had the console. Just had to change the top plate, add a shifter and do a bunch of wiring. I plan on doing a write up soon.

What did you have to do in order to convert?

I'm interested to know why you would want to go from column to floor shift to begin with. The column shift was one of the main reasons I wanted a utility over a retail explorer.

Hello '16PIU, I'm in admin and basically drive back and forth to the office so I don't have a computer mount. Siren / light switches and radio / repeater are all hidden so I really didn't need the free space the column shifter affords you between the seats. (And I'm a professional coffee drinker and I haven't found an aftermarket police console yet whose cup holders will beat OEM!)

I ordered it with the interior upgrade package so the factory console is there, just with a different top plate. I miss the column shifter arc of the Crown Vic's, so natural. The PIU feels good, kind of rolls towards you. I remember we tried some Charger Pursuits when they came out in 2006 and the shifter was a joke, awkward as hell. Today's "Caprice" is even worse but that car is a different story for another day!

Unixadm, the conversion was easier than expected. The big plus is that the retail and the PIU use the same shifter cable. To go from colum to floor, you'll have to adjust the linkage out on the tranny just a bit to lengthen it (there is plenty of adjustment available in the cable). The biggest pain was wiring up the brake interlock, park detect and key removal inhibitor from the column down to the floor shifter. I broke down and bought an OEM wiring manual on eBay for $30, money well spent! I took the "low gear" button on the end of the column and put it on a small, momentary push button on the steering column. I also replaced the steering column cover so to do away with the huge rubber boot from the column shifter. Believe it or not, that whole cover was $7 from Ford.

Possibly the best part, the floor shifter allows the tranny to physically go into "sport" mode. Now just got to pull my airbag and see if the wiring for the paddle shift steering wheel is there. Will have to check a few other leads as well, but it may be possible.

Do you have the factory console already? If so, you're in pretty good shape.

I plan on doing a write up very soon.

BTW if anyone wants an OEM retail console from a 2015 that was removed at purchase, let me know. I will give mine away for shipping costs. I scavenged a few panels off it, but for the most part its just collecting dust in my garage.
Do you have an email i could message you with?

Do you have an email i could message you with?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You can PM the member by simply clicking on his user name in the margin and selecting "Start a Conversation". That conversation will be just be between the 2 of you.

Peter

I'd recommend trying fordparts.com. If it isn't there, there are some nice ones on ebay, although they aren't OEM.

I'd recommend trying fordparts.com. If it isn't there, there are some nice ones on ebay, although they aren't OEM.
fordparts doesn't seem to carry PIU parts or accessories as that trim is not selectable.. The PIU console doesn't have the shifter slot as mentioned in post #2.

Peter

Just select explorer and then go to body, then console, select base or 3.7l engine and you will get PIU console parts. Basically the difference from retail console is the top panel and the back panel. Those 2 panels cost a pretty penny new. I think it was like $800+. If you want to buy the entire oem console new, it'll probably cost double that or more. You can sometimes find used 2015 or earlier police consoles on eBay for $2-400. They fit the 2016/7 PIUs, but color is different.

fordparts doesn't seem to carry PIU parts or accessories as that trim is not selectable.. The PIU console doesn't have the shifter slot as mentioned in post #2.

Peter
I was able to find rear trim pieces, grilles, and more for PIUs just now. I could also find all the console parts, but you would have to assemble it.

Bought mine on ebay out of an Explorer xlt. Cost me 200 shipped a few months ago.

cNNYbQ
eZw4i5
ngodAk
d02GwQ
I still have my OEM console collecting dust in my garage. Here is whats left, let me know if anyone can use it;

Last fall I bought a 2014 PIU. I recently purchesed a Ford OEM PIU console from ebay. This weekend I was planning to install. I have one questions, How does the lower center bracket (part # DB5Z-78042C74-A) that the outlet panel (part # DB5Z-7804608-AA) inserts into, disconnect from the dash ? .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking for console recommendations for 2016 PIU. Requirements:
  • No-drill installation
  • Locking compartment
  • Cup holders
  • Arm rest
  • Tablet + keyboard mount
I don't need any slots for radios or lighting controllers.

Back