Explorer Carbon Monoxide CO Detector Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Carbon Monoxide CO Detector Install

CommandPresence

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA
Hey everyone, if you own an Explorer I'm sure you're aware of the Carbon Monoxide issues entering the cabin. I took it upon myself as a safety measure to go out and buy a Detector.

I purchased this simple unit at my local Home Depot for $19.97 plus tax. Given the fact I'm still in limbo with Ford at this time fighting about the exhaust odor in the cabin, I'm not taking chances. After 3 dealership visits, it's still not fixed. So, here's where I installed strong velcro in the cabin to stick it to. It's battery operated and should last a while.

Photos of the install in my 14' Police Interceptor Unit:
20170521_173937.jpg
20170521_173929.jpg
20170521_173911.jpg
20170521_173905.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. Maybe more of us should do this and prove to Ford there is a problem.

Unfortunately Summers, even a telephone call placed to the CEO's office in Dearborn, MI Friday morning didn't warrant a call back to me as of yet.

Hey everyone, if you own an Explorer I'm sure you're aware of the Carbon Monoxide issues entering the cabin. I took it upon myself as a safety measure to go out and buy a Detector.

I purchased this simple unit at my local Home Depot for $19.97 plus tax. Given the fact I'm still in limbo with Ford at this time fighting about the exhaust odor in the cabin, I'm not taking chances. After 3 dealership visits, it's still not fixed. So, here's where I installed strong velcro in the cabin to stick it to. It's battery operated and should last a while.

I’ve only researched this issue to certain degree, so I’m far from an expert on it. Looking at your photos you placed the detector in the back of your explorer vs the front portion of the cabin. Is it your assessment that the Explorer creates some sort of vacuum when accelerating at WOT that lures the exhaust into the cabin via simple infiltration through cracks and crevices that are not completely sealed and then because the HVAC is on recirculate the exhaust stays in the cabin?

I’ve only researched this issue to certain degree, so I’m far from an expert on it. Looking at your photos you placed the detector in the back of your explorer vs the front portion of the cabin. Is it your assessment that the Explorer creates some sort of vacuum when accelerating at WOT that lures the exhaust into the cabin via simple infiltration through cracks and crevices that are not completely sealed and then because the HVAC is on recirculate the exhaust stays in the cabin?

I have placed it there for a couple reasons. #1 reason is the fact that in the TSB, Ford techs have told me that the main issue being found is the gasket on the tailgate is not sealing properly, causing fumes to enter the cabin that way. #2 is because of the venting system and seams on the chassis floor in the cargo area that it could be seeping through. My thought process is, if it's in the back of the car, it'll soon be at the front, giving me time to open windows, park and get out.

I have placed it there for a couple reasons. #1 reason is the fact that in the TSB, Ford techs have told me that the main issue being found is the gasket on the tailgate is not sealing properly, causing fumes to enter the cabin that way. #2 is because of the venting system and seams on the chassis floor in the cargo area that it could be seeping through. My thought process is, if it's in the back of the car, it'll soon be at the front, giving me time to open windows, park and get out.

Makes sense, thanks.

I have no idea how big this issue or potential issue will eventually be or not, but if Ford really did put out two TSBs then it would seem to me that an issue has been identified, not to mention the United States District Court, Southern District of Florida class action settlement where Ford denies all allegations of wrongdoing asserted. IF this is an issue then I do hope a Recall will be announced soon.

PS very clear photos, what kind of camera/lens?

I am very concerned, obviously as it's an "odorless" issue.

Camera is a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Once again, the vent system being on recirculation has nothing to do with it. I had my a/c on, no recirculate and still had the fumes enter. The fumes enter because poor body to cab seals, period.

Once again, the vent system being on recirculation has nothing to do with it. I had my a/c on, no recirculate and still had the fumes enter. The fumes enter because poor body to cab seals, period.
Correct, my issue does NOT change whether my climate control is on, recirculating, or off altogether.

Mine is going in for the first round tomorrow.

Unfortunately Summers, even a telephone call placed to the CEO's office in Dearborn, MI Friday morning didn't warrant a call back to me as of yet.

Mr Fields may have been a little preoccupied on Friday.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...placing-ceo-mark-fields-in-management-shakeup

BTW, my wife's '15 Sport also draws in exhaust fumes. We've not made any attempts to get it repaired as none the TSB's appear to be actually effective per what I read here. We plan on moving on to an Audi Q7 during the Christmas selling season later this year. I wonder if this issue will get enough publicity where it begins to diminish the value of our cars for re-sale if this isn't already happening.

The more I think about this, I'm not sure where the detector should be placed because thus far no has pin pointed the source with accuracy. More specifically, it could be coming through the areas that you have mentioned above, but then you have HVAC system that moves it around and perhaps it could be become more concentrated in one area vs another, not sure. It would be interesting to find out from one of the police departments, like the Henderson PD in Louisiana as to where they installed them.

Mr Fields may have been a little preoccupied on Friday.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...placing-ceo-mark-fields-in-management-shakeup

BTW, my wife's '15 Sport also draws in exhaust fumes. We've not made any attempts to get it repaired as none the TSB's appear to be actually effective per what I read here. We plan on moving on to an Audi Q7 during the Christmas selling season later this year. I wonder if this issue will get enough publicity where it begins to diminish the value of our cars for re-sale if this isn't already happening.

Might make for good timing to have a Recall, if necessary.

Might make for good timing to have a Recall, if necessary.
The problem is that in order to issue a Recall to fix an issue you have to know exactly how to fix it. From all the so called 'fixes' attempted to date it doesn't appear that we are at that point yet.

Peter

The problem is that in order to issue a Recall to fix an issue you have to know exactly how to fix it. From all the so called 'fixes' attempted to date it doesn't appear that we are at that point yet.

Peter

Fully agreed, but this issue surfaced long ago and it's potentially a safety issue that should get top priority. You would have thought that a large company that designs and manufacturers millions of vehicles per year would be able to conduct extensive tests to figure out a solution to this issue in a fairly short amount of time, especially now that it is getting more closely associated with safety. My guess is that someone has a fairly good handle on the problem, but at what cost (monetary for fix, stock price and public relations) it would take to make this go away with a Recall of one of their top selling vehicles is a completely different question.

2 Voicemails to CEO office, no response.

Lets hope. I love my Explorer and Ford had better step up on this one.

Brand new CEO as of today, Jim Hackett. Let's hope that he is customer focused and takes care of a few of these loose ends.
I sure hope I'm wrong but I doubt that many company CEO's deal directly with their customer. Don't they have people that handle those things? Public relations personnel or customer relations mangers?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sure hope I'm wrong but I doubt that many company CEO's deal directly with their customer. Don't they have people that handle those things? Public relations personnel or customer relations mangers?

Peter
Precisely. Which is why I'm expecting to be contacted by someone under their wing.

Back