Do you use Oil Treatment Additive for your Explorer ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you use Oil Treatment Additive for your Explorer ?

Black Eyed

Reaction score
City, State
Riyadh
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2015 base model
Hey Explorers.

Just wondering if you guys use Oil Treatment Additives for explorer

i never used one before and i don't know why i don't trust such a products

if you use. for how long you use it ? what brand ? ever faced and issue with it ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

been using STP products for over 40yrs now oil & fuel system treatment wouldn't use anything else .... just my 0.02 cents ;)

Let me guess: You also change the oil at 3,000 miles.

I was referring to the 2nd post. Sorry.

been using STP products for over 40yrs now oil & fuel system treatment wouldn't use anything else .... just my 0.02 cents ;)

Since you are using it since 40 years i think you are fully satisfied with it. have you ever seen an issue with the oil filter. with hot and cold weather ?

well being a baby boomer myself I grew up with STP products. in my younger days i raced a couple of mustangs, 1/4 mi tracks, that's all we ever used.

The last 4 cars i had where 2000 or newer never had a engine of fuel system failure other then normal wear & tear. I guess when you find something that works stick with it. I do change oil around 3-4000 miles Again just my personal preference.

Hey Explorers.

if you use. for how long you use it ? what brand ? ever faced and issue with it ?
I used the STP oil additive about 40 years ago. Here is what your 2015 Owner's Guide says about oil additives;

Do not use supplemental engine oil additives. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine
damage that is not covered by your Ford warranty.

Peter

Let me guess: You also change the oil at 3,000 miles.

Have anything better to do than jump on guys threads and poke them (without asking them first concerning their regimen) about 3,000 mile oil changes? Your comments of this nature are not helpful - or, perhaps more to the point, on topic.
For reference on the PTU Oil Change Thread #17

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-23%20at%209.41.46%20AM.png

all those additives, being for oil, fuel, etc are nothing more than snake oil.
I'm always amazed by some people gullibility. I guess it's why you have so many scams on the internet
Who in their right mind can believe that oil and fuel producers don't know how to manufacture products that don't need additives ????
Remember the commercial for slick 50 where the engine is run with no oil in it or the "new" buzzword of "nano" particles ????? Scams, nothing more
I guess that some peoples do believe that there was a huge conspiracy to "kill" a carburetor that allowed engines to run on water??

I was wondering about this a while ago. Do people actually still use things like Slick 50? It was so popular when it first came out, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it in a long time. It's still out there, and still has shelf space in auto parts stores, so someone must be buying it.

No need to use oil additives so long as you're using a quality motor oil. I use Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge on my other cars (my Explorer Sport is on order), whichever is on sale. For what a quality additive costs, you may be better off spending on a better oil.

Additives act as "modifiers" to oils. I've heard sales reps say something along the lines of "if we wanted additives in our oil we'd put them there ourselves". The website Bob Is The Oil Guy is an excellent resource and quality info.

Hey Explorers.

Nope.

I used the STP oil additive about 40 years ago. Here is what your 2015 Owner's Guide says about oil additives;

Do not use supplemental engine oil additives. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine
damage that is not covered by your Ford warranty.

Peter

What he said ^^^ :p

I use Amsoil synthetic oil and an Amsoil filter. Use Amsoil on all the family vehicles.

I use Amsoil synthetic oil and an Amsoil filter. Use Amsoil on all the family vehicles.

My buddy has a garage and that's all he uses on his clients cars. I hear it's the best. Even better than Mobil1. I might go that route.

My buddy has a garage and that's all he uses on his clients cars. I hear it's the best. Even better than Mobil1. I might go that route.

My wife has a 2005 BMW X3 with over 200k miles on it, my daughter has a 2013 Chevy Impala with 80k on it and my 2013 Exp has 60k on it and they all use Amsoil and no problems with wear, etc. Our shop recommended it years ago and we stayed with it. They make many variations so the Chevy gets a different type than the BMW, etc. Check the Amsoil website.

We have an Amsoil distributor nearby and if you pay a small signup fee you get a good discount. With three cars using Amsoil it was worth it for me to sign up.

2010launch.jpg

Among my "toys" is a 900-horsepower '67 Camaro 1/4-mile drag-race car. I've been racing this car with the same engine since 1999. Every winter, my buddies and I tear it down for a close look at rings and bearings. We've never replaced either because we can't detect any wear. The motor oil we use is Mobil 1 5w30 WITHOUT any additive. We buy our Mobil 1 motor oil at Walmart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

View attachment 97323

Among my "toys" is a 900-horsepower '67 Camaro 1/4-mile drag-race car. I've been racing this car with the same engine since 1999. Every winter, my buddies and I tear it down for a close look at rings and bearings. We've never replaced either because we can't detect any wear. The motor oil we use is Mobil 1 5w30 WITHOUT any additive. We buy our Mobil 1 motor oil at Walmart.

From a standing start how does your Explorer fare against the Camaro?

Back