New Explorer Exterior Burning Smell | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Exterior Burning Smell

Burning smell outside the car after highway driving

Just purchased a 2017 Limited and has 560 miles on it and this is the 2nd time being driven at highway speeds and my wife pulled in the garage and it smelled like burning plastic or rubber. it went away after 15 minutes and I popped the hood and really couldn't pinpoint the source of the odor. Could it be burning off some of the stickers or coating on new parts? Any info is appreciated. Don't want to go to the dealer if they're going to say "that's normal".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Burning smell outside the car after highway driving

Just purchased a 2017 Limited and has 560 miles on it and this is the 2nd time being driven at highway speeds and my wife pulled in the garage and it smelled like burning plastic or rubber. it went away after 15 minutes and I popped the hood and really couldn't pinpoint the source of the odor. Could it be burning off some of the stickers or coating on new parts? Any info is appreciated. Don't want to go to the dealer if they're going to say "that's normal".
Hi Tom. I've moved your post to this one on a similar issue.
I've reported here that neither of my previous 2 new vehicles had any smells at all and can now confirm that my 2017 Platinum also did not have any. My vehicles are always garaged so it would have been noticeable if there was any. Having said that, it is possible that there are stickers or other things that may be the cause. See if it gets better after a few more miles.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I'll give it a while longer and see what happens.

My Explorer Sport has 72K miles on it Still has that same oil smell after driving. Anyone ever find anything definitive that would cause this?

I don't recall having this issue with mine in the 48K miles of ownership other than the initial brand new burn-off smells (typical on new vehicles).

Back