1991 exploder 4 inch lift. 4x4 problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 exploder 4 inch lift. 4x4 problems

Joey A

Reaction score
City, State
East hartford, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer
So i recently bought a 91 explorer 5speed, rough country 4 in lift, and for a month or so its been fine. Recently the 4x4 will partially engage without me wanting it to (not pressing 4x4 or lo range) and the front passenger side wheel will start clicking, sometimes the front drivers side, very loud. Ill stop, put it in 4 wheel, roll a foot or two, take it out, and the clicking goes away. Any idea what this could be? A buddy of mine said it could be the actuator, but i need another opinion on it. Any help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Auto hubs not locking in I bet. Take them apart, clean them and start there.

Ill definitely check that, but the problem isnt when im in 4wd ill be in 2wd, and then out of no where theyll start clicking

Auto hubs are known to make noise out of nowhere if left unmaintained or they get water contamination.

Auto hubs are known to make noise out of nowhere if left unmaintained or they get water contamination.
Oh sweet, thank you so much, would make sense seeing as i drove through some meean puddles tge other day on the trails, going to cleean them tomorrow and report back

I agree with boomin. Your hubs are 26 years old, well past their expected lifetime, and most likely thoroughly neglected. You should take them off, set them down, and fill them with ATF and let them soak overnight. In the morning, drain and let drip dry a little, then reinstall and see how it is.

If you're driving thru mean puddles, when you take the hubs off, look and make sure your hubs still have the O ring on them. That's what keeps the water out of your hubs.

I agree with boomin. Your hubs are 26 years old, well past their expected lifetime, and most likely thoroughly neglected. You should take them off, set them down, and fill them with ATF and let them soak overnight. In the morning, drain and let drip dry a little, then reinstall and see how it is.
If you're driving thru mean puddles, when you take the hubs off, look and make sure your hubs still have the O ring on them. That's what keeps the water out of your hubs.
I will be sure to do all this, thanks for the help

Back