Fuel pump access | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump access

grizzlyxjim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
I searched the forum, I read about access panels in 1st gen but what about 3rd gen? a few people asked the question I didn't see answers. I need to change my fuel pump it went out but I don't have the tools or place to drop the tank, I live in an apartment complex and I don't think my jack will jack it high enough for clearance to drop it. I've changed the pump on my old long gone 95 dodge Dakota so I am semi familiar with the procedure but as I am using a cheap fuel pump I think I'd rather just cut an access panel than drop the tank for when that one dies in a year. If someone could provide me with some pictures or a guide of where to make the hole on a 99 mountaineer I would be thankful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a thread on here about cutting threw the floor. And I highly disagree with that method and discourage it. But some people don't. Ive dropped the tank and done the job with basics jacks in the dirt at my house. You can do it. If your that obsessed with going threw the floor. You'll find it.

You ever lay on asphalt when it's 112 degrees out. That's what it's hitting here. I have no straps no Jack stand a little bottle Jack no blocks and about 25$ I do have an angle grinder so to me it seemed like a good option

You ever lay on asphalt when it's 112 degrees out. That's what it's hitting here. I have no straps no Jack stand a little bottle Jack no blocks and about 25$ I do have an angle grinder so to me it seemed like a good option
Sir,
Just forget about the angle grinder unless you want to make the nightly news. The lines are very close to the sheet metal and you could imagine what could happen. There could be a bit of gas from a tiny leak after all the years. If you do this use tinsnips and take your time. You can start the hole with a chisel, very carefully.

If you already have the pump, an honest shop will charge about $100 to drop the tank.

Only reason I can see making an access hole is if your a trail guy (often in the middle of no where) and carry and extra pump in case "it" happens. OR if you buy Airtex pumps in which case you'll be changing it out frequently...

Dropping an an Explorer tank is quite basic. Did it on my last truck in the driveway in an afternoon.

Dropping an an Explorer tank is quite basic. Did it on my last truck in the driveway in an afternoon.

Ditto, no jack is needed to drop the tank, after the back is up on jack stands. There is one strap and one bolt holding that on. Remove everything else from below so all thta is left is the pump connections, and the top vent hose and sensor connector. Those you get to after dropping the tank about half way down. Don't do it with a full tank of gas. It's manageable when low to by hand hold it after the strap bolt is removed, and lower it to an object below that can support it half way down. I've used a short tool box, and a few boxes of unopened items before, just something about a foot tall and flat on top to set the tank on. Removing the fuel line connections is the hardest part. Those can be easy, or hell if you are not patient and careful with the tool process. Good luck,

Made a basic video of how I did it for anyone looking It's not the best video but a little more than I found since most of what I got was just "drop the tank". Seems like some replies were removed weird. Anyhow I did it this way, was super easy took 30 minutes total.

Back