Confirming leaking heater core

Ilikemice

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Midlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Hi all, i did an 8hr drive and the cabin started to smell like coolant. It's worse when the fans/heater are on. No leaks under the dash, but there's an open pipe on the passenger side sticking out of the firewall that now dumps a bit of liquid onto the exhaust when stopped. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new heater core, assuming my diagnosis is correct :)

1999 4.0l SOHC, btw

P.S. what is that little pipe for? It sticks out under the passenger side head about an inch

Smell of antifreeze is a good indicator. Also, if you run the defrost, you'll probably get an oily film on the window.

Hi all, i did an 8hr drive and the cabin started to smell like coolant. It's worse when the fans/heater are on. No leaks under the dash, but there's an open pipe on the passenger side sticking out of the firewall that now dumps a bit of liquid onto the exhaust when stopped. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new heater core, assuming my diagnosis is correct :)

1999 4.0l SOHC, btw

P.S. what is that little pipe for? It sticks out under the passenger side head about an inch
Post a picture please. I believe I’m having the same problem.

Back