2000 Ford Explorer: PCV valve where is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer: PCV valve where is it?

Eighty51

Reaction score
City, State
Californication
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Looking from the front of the SUV back I see on the RHS valve cover a hose going to the air intake behind the filter assmbly. Thing is, there's no PCV valve on it -- it's a straight through hose. So where is the PCV valve on a 2000 Ford Explorer? According to Haynes there should be one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends which engine you have. 5.0L, 4.0L OHV, 4.0L SOHC?

On the 5.0L and 4.0L SOHC it's located in the extreme rear, approx center of the engine block and they're a PITA to change. IDK about on a 4.0L OHV engine.

I should've mentioned it's the SOHC 4.0L.
Other research says it's on the driver's side, on the back of the valve cover? It looks like it can be reached w/difficulty w/o removing anything else from the engine?
Can the PCV valve be bad and not throw a fault code? Or does it always throw a fault code if bad?

I don't know about it throwing a code, but a bad PCV valve can effect idle and the way you engine runs. If it's leaking air into the engine it would probably throw lean codes (P0171/174).

The hard part about changing the PCV on the Job 1 SOHC, other than the location, is that as the hose it plugs into ages it gets stiff and brittle. If you manage to break the hose you're most likely looking at removing the upper and lower intakes to replace it. My PCV hose also had a plastic ratchet clamp on it that was hard to release.

Tip: If you change the PCV valve, be sure to replace it with a Motorcraft brand PCV. Cheap ones can make noise.

Thanks for the replies everyone, Happy Fourth of July.

The PCV valve is pretty low-profile.

On my 2002 4.0 there was a PCV on each valve cover. front of Pass. Side and rear of Drivers Side. The setup from the outside looks like a straight hose to the intake manifold from the valve cover. remove the hose from the intake, then at the other end, twist a quarter-turn to get it out.

The PCV valve is pretty low-profile.

On my 2002 4.0 there was a PCV on each valve cover. front of Pass. Side and rear of Drivers Side. The setup from the outside looks like a straight hose to the intake manifold from the valve cover. remove the hose from the intake, then at the other end, twist a quarter-turn to get it out.

A 2002 is a Job 2 engine. Different setup for the PCV valve than on a 2000 Job 1 engine, which is what the OP has.

Has anyone heard of people capping/plugging the PCV system? I saw a video that suggested doing this would increase mileage and reduce emissions.

Has anyone heard of people capping/plugging the PCV system? I saw a video that suggested doing this would increase mileage and reduce emissions.

Doing this could make your oil seals leak and your engine smoke. Not a good idea.

It'll do all kinds of nasty things to engine wear to not pull the crankcase vapors out the PCV because the oil would turn foul. Except for the environmental factors it would be better to just have it vent freely out, not plugged.

It'll do all kinds of nasty things to engine wear to not pull the crankcase vapors out the PCV because the oil would turn foul. Except for the environmental factors it would be better to just have it vent freely out, not plugged.
@J_C
Yep, before PCV systems became prominent, 50 years or so, all car engines did just that! In some ways, performance-wise, it was likely better. My '65 Mustang "K" engine came from Ford with NO PCV, instead it had a "road draft tube" which vented crankcase vapors directly to the atmosphere. imp

@J_C
Yep, before PCV systems became prominent, 50 years or so, all car engines did just that! In some ways, performance-wise, it was likely better. My '65 Mustang "K" engine came from Ford with NO PCV, instead it had a "road draft tube" which vented crankcase vapors directly to the atmosphere. imp

Most American vehicles started having PCV valves in 1963.

so how'd you make out? I still have a new motorcraft PCV in the box for a year now... I tried a few pulls but left it be as I did not want to risk damaging that molded line.

For what it's worth... I changed the PCV valve on our 2001 SOHC Explorer in 2011. As I recall I was able to release the plastic ratchet clamp using a dental pic tool. I also removed the 2 small hoses from the intake tubes, rather than pulling them off the valve. The hard part was trying to get the valve out of the hose, as after 10 years the hose was very stiff and you have no room to work. I used my pic and wedged it between the hose and valve, then I sprayed some WD40 around the base of the valve. I twisted the valve around and was eventually able to remove it from the hose, but I was very scared that I'd break the hose or pull it off the engine.

If you can shake your old valve and hear it rattle, it's still working. As a possible test - If you remove the two small hoses from the upper intake, plug one with something (your finger or a golf "T" might work well) and suck and blow on the other small hose you might feel the PCV valve open/close.

Back