• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle at startup

cdotson66

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer xl
Hello, my name is Chris and although I have came here for help with my Explorer for years, I just joined today. Thanks for all the help I've received in the past and will receive in the future.
The problem I'm having is rough idle at cold and warm startup. It clears up and runs smooth in less than a minute or two, faster if I rev the engine just a little. It has been this way for a while but I noticed a few days ago it felt like it would be stalling or loosing power sitting still and going down the road. Not much longer after this it threw a po133 code. If I keep driving it the check engine light goes off and I don't notice the stalling but it still has a rough idle startup. When it was doing the stalling it would never cut off completely, it would just feel like a hesitation then go away, about every minute it would do it again. This is a 1996 Explorer 4.0 with close to 300,000 miles on it. But still going strong! Does this sound like a o2 sensor or something else? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With that many miles and not knowing how old the o2 sensors are, I would change them. I doubt the secondary sensors are causing any issues, but I would change sensor 1 on both banks.

Try to get the best you can afford.

which 4L is it? is it the SOHC? they are known to have the intake o rings shrink or dry out over time. it will can cause a surging idle on a cold start up, and make it run rich for the first bit

which 4L is it? is it the SOHC? they are known to have the intake o rings shrink or dry out over time. it will can cause a surging idle on a cold start up, and make it run rich for the first bit

The 96 didn't come with the SOHC, only the 4.0 OHV.

With that many miles and not knowing how old the o2 sensors are, I would change them. I doubt the secondary sensors are causing any issues, but I would change sensor 1 on both banks.

Try to get the best you can afford.

Thanks Turdle! Yeah that's kinda what I thought too. I did replace the one on the drivers side but it didn't help. I may do the one on the passenger side once I drive it a few days. Thanks again!

Back