Motor Swap in 2005 Sport Trac

charlacobb77

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi all,

I have been reading the forums looking for answer and not finding exact answer, my dad is till asking. I have read it is good to swap the 4.0 with 4.0 and not smart for swapping 4.0 with 3.0. But being stubborn as he is, I am now asking the exact question of you guys.

Is it possible (and if so how hard is it) to replace the 2005 Sport Trac 4.0 motor with the 2009 Fusion 3.0?

Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated! I thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything is possible if you have deep enough pockets, unlimited knowledge, and an endless amount of time, because that's pretty much what it will cost ya. The days of dropping anything in anything ended with the advent of computer controlled everything.

Thank you... My dad is old school mechanic. So that's what he's used to. Hopefully he will let it be and try something else!

The mechanical piece of this swap (while not easy) would be the easy part. The electrical and computer part would be a huge job. Would it be worth the effort? No.

The days of easily putting any engine in anything are long gone. I just watched a show on Cuba, where they still have mostly 50's-60's U.S. cars to drive. To keep them on the road they stick any running engine they can find in anything, but if they were dealing with modern vehicles, they'd be walking or using a donkey cart.

The mechanical piece of this swap (while not easy) would be the easy part. The electrical and computer part would be a huge job. Would it be worth the effort? No.

The days of easily putting any engine in anything are long gone. I just watched a show on Cuba, where they still have mostly 50's-60's U.S. cars to drive. To keep them on the road they stick any running engine they can find in anything, but if they were dealing with modern vehicles, they'd be walking or using a donkey cart.
I love seeing old 55-57 chevys running the streets there...boy they are rusty though

I love seeing old 55-57 chevys running the streets there...boy they are rusty though

Believe it or not you can now build a '57 Chevy today using all brand new parts including the body.

If it was my car I wouldn't want to change the motor for one that makes less torque. A 3.5L or 3.7L would be a better choice for the work involved.

Back