U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns

...if the issue is with poor upfitting on the PIUs tied to the instructions of a single supplier (let's say Whelen produced a defective grommet for a lightbar, while upfitters themselves being localized/diverse), then there's going to be a lot of deep pocket action after this is all and done.

The other half of this... doesn't Ford provide an upfitter guide to prevent precisely these kinds of issues?

How many people read the owner's manuals? Not saying that is the issue but it could be. There are so many of these that are done, 1 after the other. Who knows if corners are cut being they are 3rd party.

The tech on the other forum said they had to replace a ton of gas tanks because the upfitter used screws that were too long and when screwing in the trunk, punctured all the tanks.

Not calling this "fake news but the media is spinning this as if it is Ford's fault with the PIUs without knowing that it is indeed Ford's fault.

However as I said earlier, I can't believe Ford is claiming there are no issues with civilian versions..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its going to be tough to sell my explorer now.

Ford, own up to your mistake and make this American brand great again.

To the Ford executives and engineers: The odor is real and you morons should have fixed this 5 years ago.
Save your breath here. Ford doesn't read these Forums. Better off contacting them directly.

Haven't had the issue with my 2 Explorers and selling isn't going to be an issue because I lease. That's another advantage of leasing.

Peter

Save your breath here. Ford doesn't read these Forums. Better off contacting them directly.

Haven't had the issue with my 2 Explorers and selling isn't going to be an issue because I lease. That's another advantage of leasing.

Peter
I will :banghead:

Little cold there, eh, Peter? :)

Sadly, I for one drive too many miles for a lease. And tend to customize...

Peter you have to push that go pedal a little harder to smell it. ;) :p

Because we as sheeps, keep buying!
I knew about this potential problem, but I still bought mine.

I don't think the problem is life and death but it's probably not good for our health either by any means. We always roll the windows down after a WOT or even a heavy throttle run. I'm kind of mad at myself about it because my folks had a 2011 Explorer and I knew about this issue with it. I ASSumed it had been taken care of... And I'm not that kind of person at all either so kind of funny it bit me. To be frank though I don't even know if that would of swayed me from buying it with the information I have still. We have so little info about this. Hopefully now with the NHTSA owners aren't going to have to band together to get some large scale data going.

Peter you have to push that go pedal a little harder to smell it. ;) :p
I've done that a few times already but there really much of a call for that around here.:)

Little cold there, eh, Peter? :)
It has finally stopped raining and it's nice and sunny today and 75 F. First weekend without rain in 4 months. Tomorrow is supposed to be like today.

Peter

I can tell you I've been questioning my sanity buying the Explorer after reading of the issue with the Hancook tires, and then this, and the lack of any ownership by Ford of the problem. Putting the blame on the Police mechanics for aftermarket additions, when the general public has been complaining for years, says a lot. (of course Ford will fix the police units because they don't want to lose the flleet sales across the continent). I realize that every model has it's problems, but putting the bottom line ahead of public safety is the wrong direction for a manufacturer, especially in this day and age. CO exhaust is a silent deadly killer!
My build date is in two weeks. I'm seriously thinking of cancelling and just getting another F150. Out of 15 trucks over the years, 14 have never been back to the dealer for any issues.The 1 that went back was for a bad motor which was changed and then all was great.

I smell exhaust in mine a lot...who knows how much Carbon Monoxide i have been breathing in...

+1, similar to that of the Takata airbag recall, which has affected pretty much every make and model; but not even close to being completed.

But if a recall comes out and i am out of warranty..am I ******? I know there is a TSB out there for exhaust smell but my dealer said since i am out of warranty...it would cost me a lot to have it done

I actually plan on getting Wrangler this fall so hopefully before the price dip if that does happen

But if a recall comes out and i am out of warranty..am I ******? I know there is a TSB out there for exhaust smell but my dealer said since i am out of warranty...it would cost me a lot to have it done

I actually plan on getting Wrangler this fall so hopefully before the price dip if that does happen
Recalls are not governed by warranties.

Peter

Save your breath here. Ford doesn't read these Forums.

That pretty much sums up everything. Companies that listen to their customers and provide superior customer service are the companies that are currently doing very well. Now with many new entrants in the automotive sector, like Silicon Valley high tech companies, a paradigm shift is on it's way and that will create both winners and losers.

Or heat expanding the crack.

It's an engineering challenge for sure, but one that needs to get done.

Come on and impress me, Ford.
Don't count on it....I have an '05 w/4.6 v8. A spark plug literally ejected out of the engine at 150k! It was original equipment, loosened up and rocketed out breaking the coil pack. Ford would do absolutely nothing to compensate me for repairs, even though it was a common problem.
As to the CO problem: They obviously know(knew) there was a problem and as any large company does, blows off any complaints and refuses any responsibility.
The thing that burns me up is that they treat their customers like fools, telling them anything and giving them outrageous stories to minimize the complaint.
Ford claims the problem with the Police vehicles is that they alter their vehicles for patrol use, causing openings to allow exhaust gases to seep inside.
REALLY? Why are there exhaust fumes, and where are they coming from?
Folks, its VERY hard to get exhaust fumes into the interior of a vehicle unless: 1. Vehicle has a leaky exhaust system 2.Vehicle has leaky exhaust with holes in floorboard 3.Vehicle has leak in exhaust manifold 4.Any of the aforementioned while the vehicle sits parked with the engine running and windows closed.
An exhaust leak in the engine compartment would be the worst, as the fumes(CO) could be blown or sucked into the interior by the under-hood air flow and/or sucked into the ventilation system.
Ford knows this, they're just waiting for the investigation results to prove it.
These companies have a history of denying any responsibility for a defect until forced to by a governing authority and hopefully no one dies in the interim.
The sad part about this is that many civilian owners' complaints were disregarded, and not until the story about the Austin PD's vehicles was aired, did any action begin!
SHAME ON YOU FORD MOTOR COMPANY!

Don't count on it....I have an '05 w/4.6 v8. A spark plug literally ejected out of the engine at 150k! It was original equipment, loosened up and rocketed out breaking the coil pack. Ford would do absolutely nothing to compensate me for repairs, even though it was a common problem.
As to the CO problem: They obviously know(knew) there was a problem and as any large company does, blows off any complaints and refuses any responsibility.
The thing that burns me up is that they treat their customers like fools, telling them anything and giving them outrageous stories to minimize the complaint.
Ford claims the problem with the Police vehicles is that they alter their vehicles for patrol use, causing openings to allow exhaust gases to seep inside.
REALLY? Why are there exhaust fumes, and where are they coming from?
Folks, its VERY hard to get exhaust fumes into the interior of a vehicle unless: 1. Vehicle has a leaky exhaust system 2.Vehicle has leaky exhaust with holes in floorboard 3.Vehicle has leak in exhaust manifold 4.Any of the aforementioned while the vehicle sits parked with the engine running and windows closed.
An exhaust leak in the engine compartment would be the worst, as the fumes(CO) could be blown or sucked into the interior by the under-hood air flow and/or sucked into the ventilation system.
Ford knows this, they're just waiting for the investigation results to prove it.
These companies have a history of denying any responsibility for a defect until forced to by a governing authority and hopefully no one dies in the interim.
The sad part about this is that many civilian owners' complaints were disregarded, and not until the story about the Austin PD's vehicles was aired, did any action begin!
SHAME ON YOU FORD MOTOR COMPANY!

Unfortunately you are incorrect on just about every point you made.

Just had my front exhaust manifold replaced under warranty due to a pinhole that developed in one of the welds. Actually about the size of the tip of a pen. I'm going to do some highway runs and see if I get the smell again..

I just came from my ford dealer with my complaint about the cabin smell (4th time since I bought my 17 explorer..... low and behold there is a fix in their computer. I take my Explorer in next Monday to get it done. Seems there is a vent in the rear of the vehicle. If you are sitting in traffic and the wind blows toward the front of the vehicle exhaust could enter the cabin. Also on hard acceleration exhaust can enter the cabin due to a backdraft from the exaust system. They have to keep the car overnight to do an upgrade on the vent and change part of the exaust. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and the parts are already in stock. There is a TSB on this that include all explorers not just the police interceptors, 2011 to 2017. Good luck.

I just came from my ford dealer with my complaint about the cabin smell (4th time since I bought my 17 explorer..... low and behold there is a fix in their computer. I take my Explorer in next Monday to get it done. Seems there is a vent in the rear of the vehicle. If you are sitting in traffic and the wind blows toward the front of the vehicle exhaust could enter the cabin. Also on hard acceleration exhaust can enter the cabin due to a backdraft from the exaust system. They have to keep the car overnight to do an upgrade on the vent and change part of the exaust. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and the parts are already in stock. There is a TSB on this that include all explorers not just the police interceptors, 2011 to 2017. Good luck.

Sounds like a potential fix for treated exhausted or exhaust out of the tail pipe that has been through and treated by the catalytic converter. This fix doesn't seem to address untreated exhaust that results in high concentrations of carbon monoxide entering the cabin that the police interceptors are experiencing. Perhaps two different issues.

Sounds like a potential fix for treated exhausted or exhaust out of the tail pipe that has been through and treated by the catalytic converter. This fix doesn't seem to address untreated exhaust that results in high concentrations of carbon monoxide entering the cabin that the police interceptors are experiencing. Perhaps two different issues.

Trust me treated exhaust by the cc can be deadly.......

Trust me treated exhaust by the cc can be deadly.......

I'm not saying it cannot be, but there is a significant difference in treated vs untreated carbon monoxide exhaust emissions. More specifically, carbon monoxide emissions from engine exhaust before being treated by a catalytic converter can well exceed 30,000 parts per million, while after being treated by the catalytic converter they are typically 1,000 parts per million or less. In summary, it takes a lot less time exposure to become ill if someone is subjected to untreated carbon monoxide exhaust emissions vs treated exhaust emissions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back