Drum axle to disc axle swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drum axle to disc axle swap

trailblazr81

Reaction score
City, State
Hollister
So my 2002 Sport Track has drums and I want to swap in a disc axle. Is it a direct bolt on? I read in a forum that I just need to remove a proportioning valve at the master cylinder. What about parking brake? And is the brake line connection the same at the axle? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my 2002 Sport Track has drums and I want to swap in a disc axle. Is it a direct bolt on? I read in a forum that I just need to remove a proportioning valve at the master cylinder. What about parking brake? And is the brake line connection the same at the axle? Thanks

The axle itself is a direct bolt in. I took a disc brake axle from a regular Gen II, 4-door Explorer and installed it in my 2001 ST. I wasn't interested in converting to disc rear brakes, so I just swapped the drum parts over to the replacement disc axle and called it done. I would imagine the parking brake cables are completely different as well as the brake lines at the axle. IDK about just removing the prop valve. That doesn't seem right to me. I'm pretty old school so drum rear brakes are fine w/me. I've installed disc brake conversions on street rods and mussel cars and it's not particularly difficult, but usually the master cylinder is different and there are kits available to take the guess work out of it.

Tip: For jobs like this I like to use the RockAuto on-line catalog to compare part numbers.

The real reason I want to do this swap is to replace my open 3.73 rear with a 4.1 limited slip. If its not an easy swap I'll just regear n lock the axle I have.

I've read of some members not changing anything about the master cylinder etc, up front, and just swapping the brakes. For the 4.10's, a lot of the 4WD V6's of the 98-01's had those. You want to find one with a letter axle code on the VIN tag, those are all LS diff's.

There are numerous threads in the forum about drum to disc brake swaps. If you search, you will find some very good information. Best one I have seen was from T-Bars.

Back