U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns

Keep us in the loop PLEASE!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just came from my ford dealer with my complaint about the cabin smell (4th time since I bought my 17 explorer..... low and behold there is a fix in their computer. I take my Explorer in next Monday to get it done. Seems there is a vent in the rear of the vehicle. If you are sitting in traffic and the wind blows toward the front of the vehicle exhaust could enter the cabin. Also on hard acceleration exhaust can enter the cabin due to a backdraft from the exaust system. They have to keep the car overnight to do an upgrade on the vent and change part of the exaust. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and the parts are already in stock. There is a TSB on this that include all explorers not just the police interceptors, 2011 to 2017. Good luck.

Thank you for the info, what is the TSB number?

I
I just came from my ford dealer with my complaint about the cabin smell (4th time since I bought my 17 explorer..... low and behold there is a fix in their computer. I take my Explorer in next Monday to get it done. Seems there is a vent in the rear of the vehicle. If you are sitting in traffic and the wind blows toward the front of the vehicle exhaust could enter the cabin. Also on hard acceleration exhaust can enter the cabin due to a backdraft from the exaust system. They have to keep the car overnight to do an upgrade on the vent and change part of the exaust. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and the parts are already in stock. There is a TSB on this that include all explorers not just the police interceptors, 2011 to 2017. Good luck.
I don't want to possibly put a damper on this but if that is the one identified more than 2 years ago, that is not a new 'fix'.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ring-acceleration.323597/page-21#post-3078681
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ring-acceleration.323597/page-61#post-3398391
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ring-acceleration.323597/page-62#post-3404485
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ring-acceleration.323597/page-93#post-3626971
The 'fix' in most cases did not eliminate the smell.

Peter

Have no idea except the tech told me that this just came in from ford last week, and the dealership ordered several of the kits from ford including the replacement exhausts. This is the first time that 2017 explorer's have ever been included in any coverage, and the first time Ford has admitted that a problem exists.

The following is a quote from a 2012 post; TSB 12-12-4. I think Ford is admitting the issue here.

"Then, there it is! A TSB FINALLY!!! The service technician told me that it just came out recently, as in December 10th 2012!!! The TSB calls for changing parts in the rear bumper since it is where the exhaust smell apparently comes in or is sucked it during hard acceleration. A total of 5 parts will be replaced as part of the TSB. What parts, the service technician said it has to with the rear HVAC system or vents."

If indeed the TSB is new, I hope it works better than the previous one.

Peter

They recently "refreshed" the 2012 TSB before the NHTSA news broke, but it was a minor update that didn't go beyond those of previous revisions. Shame I didn't grab it when I had the chance.

They recently "refreshed" the 2012 TSB before the NHTSA news broke, but it was a minor update that didn't go beyond those of previous revisions. Shame I didn't grab it when I had the chance.

The more I think about it, I think that's what happened. Ford has recently included newer explorers into the 2012 TSB. I will check with my service writer in the morning to see if that's the case. Reguardless Iam still going to have the work done in the hope that it does fix my problem.

It will probably have a 2017 TSB number, but have references within to the prior editions.

FTA: Ford said it will cover the cost of repairs for carbon monoxide odor...

I thought CO was odorless...

smileys-confused-389931.gif

FTA: Ford said it will cover the cost of repairs for carbon monoxide odor...

I thought CO was odorless...

View attachment 98519

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas. This statement clearly shows just how on top of this issue Ford really is, NOT. Rather than address the exhaust issue back in 2011 when many owners were posting about in, Ford is now in a very reactive mode.

To me there are two issues, treated exhaust entering the cabin from the rear caused by an aerodynamic vacuum and untreated exhaust possibly coming from holes in the exhaust manifold or somewhere else in the exhaust system before the catalytic converter that are entering the cabin in the police interceptors and possibly civilian owned Explorers, not sure yet.

If Ford really did make the quote above about carbon monoxide having an odor there could be a systemic issue within the company that needs to be addressed. Typically when a statement or press release is going to be issued publicly from a large company it goes through a detailed review by technical personnel if it involves them, public relations, usually the vice president of the group that is responsible for it and many times by the CEO. IF this was really said by Ford it really appears that this systemic issue should be dealt with company wide that would also involve review or QA/QC process of how vehicles are being made and/or produced.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas. This statement clearly shows just how on top of this issue Ford really is, NOT. Rather than address the exhaust issue back in 2011 when many owners were posting about in, Ford is now in a very reactive mode.

To me there are two issues, treated exhaust entering the cabin and untreated exhaust entering the cabin associated with the police interceptors and possibly civilian owned Explorers, not sure yet.

This entire ordeal is starting to stink......

So Ford acknowledges that there is a problem with police vehicles (that were not caused by Ford) and graciously offers to fix them for free. Meanwhile completely disavowing any responsibility for the other civilian owned vehicles that have not had any alterations but have the same issue

Let us know how it goes, and what the TSB # is. I have a fairly reliable service advisor at my local dealer - but my Explorer has already spent about 1 of the last 2 months on their lot, I don't want to keep bothering him and wear out my welcome.

So Ford acknowledges that there is a problem with police vehicles (that were not caused by Ford) and graciously offers to fix them for free. Meanwhile completely disavowing any responsibility for the other civilian owned vehicles that have not had any alterations but have the same issue

Ford hasnt yet owned up to the civilian issues, but they will. You all need to go to my thread and register your complaint on the matter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back