U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns

Yeah I wanted to trade my 16 XLT lease for a 17 Limited but this might make that even less realistic, I'm already upside down on it because it's lost 35% of it's value in the first year already.

I would just wait for the lease to expire like Peter said..not worth it since you are upside down on it and close to the next redesign where they NEED/MUST fix this issue or someone could die.

I have a 14 and i know even if i keep it for another 2-3 years they won't find a fix or be able to fix it. I am most worried about my trade in value now...why i have been looking now and will be visiting dealers for another vehicle starting this weekend.

Love my sport and will be sad to see it go..but with this problem I am nervous for the value to drop like a rock and not have as much equity in it as i do right now. Plus i hate not having a warranty given on what has started to need repair on mine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The TSB you are looking for is TSB 16-0166. This has been done to my explorer and did not help at all.

Attachments

• tsb16-0166.pdf
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 141

fake news, never happened o_O

I took a smoke machine in the rear hatch and around the roof when I had a water leak, umm like I said if they think the hatch drains are one of the main concerns for exhaust to enter, are they ever in for a surprize:rant:

I just watched a piece on Fox 25 Boston about the Auburn incident and it sounds like some of the vehicles they tested that had high CO were not Police Interceptors.

Interesting.....

The TSB you are looking for is TSB 16-0166. This has been done to my explorer and did not help at all.

I've only had the first step done, and I think it actually made it worse.

I decided to take the CO detector from that house and stick it in the back of the Explorer. I remote started it, opened the tailgate, and was holding the detector face down while I peeled backing from the double sided tape. When I turned it over to mount, it was reading 57 ppm. So that's what you're getting if you stand there with the liftgate open and the engine running.

I decided to take the CO detector from that house and stick it in the back of the Explorer. I remote started it, opened the tailgate, and was holding the detector face down while I peeled backing from the double sided tape. When I turned it over to mount, it was reading 57 ppm. So that's what you're getting if you stand there with the liftgate open and the engine running.
I don't doubt that you got a valid reading while doing that at the rear of your Explorer. But don't you think you would have gotten a similar reading under the same circumstances at the rear of a Government Motors vehicle?

I also may invest in CO2 monitors as seen in an earlier post in this thread even though I haven't smelled anything yet in my 17. Never did in my 15 either.

Ok I just left my dealer and got a copy of the TSB. It's 16 pages long and covers Police and Civilian Explorers. The number is TSB 17-0044. My dealer had one customer that was getting headaches driving his 2016 Explorer. The dealer said after the fix it was fine..... take that with a grain of salt. I still plan on taking mine in on Monday for the repairs to be made. It's a two day job so I will be leaving it till Wednesday. We shall see.

Ok I just left my dealer and got a copy of the TSB. It's 16 pages long and covers Police and Civilian Explorers. The number is TSB 17-0044. My dealer had one customer that was getting headaches driving his 2016 Explorer. The dealer said after the fix it was fine..... take that with a grain of salt. I still plan on taking mine in on Monday for the repairs to be made. It's a two day job so I will be leaving it till Wednesday. We shall see.

This is not a new TSB. One person claims to have had this done back in May and it did not help.

I don't doubt that you got a valid reading while doing that at the rear of your Explorer. But don't you think you would have gotten a similar reading under the same circumstances at the rear of a Government Motors vehicle?

I also may invest in CO2 monitors as seen in an earlier post in this thread even though I haven't smelled anything yet in my 17. Never did in my 15 either.

Also, was the engine cold? Was it still in open loop and we're the cats up to operating temperature?

This is not a new TSB. One person claims to have had this done back in May and it did not help.

Date on the TSB is May 15 2017. This odor gets in my vehicle at least once a week.... so after I get it back next Wendsday I will know for sure if it fixes mine.

I'm going to quote myself here just to give Big Blue an idea.

You want to save your backsides in the short term? Work a deal with Kidde or some other mfgr to get CO detectors at cost/on the cheap. Then, tell everyone who has a concern, civilian or not, that they'll get a detector in the interim just in case they have any doubts about their vehicle. Just call the CRC for details or put up an online form.

Do something, Ford. The radio silence is destroying your name, at least this way you can buy yourself some engineering time.

You too, eh...? Sigh.
Big Blue (Ford) doesn't read the Forums and the Reps are gone.

Peter

Trust me, Peter. They're looking.

Entirely possible. I was just letting people know what it is when standing there. Being summer, I tend to remote start to let the A/C get started, and then I'll stand there loading/unloading.

If you're not getting the exhaust smell, you most likely have nothing to worry about. It doesn't happen on every vehicle. They just need to figure out what's different about the ones that do get it.

Also, was the engine cold? Was it still in open loop and we're the cats up to operating temperature?

It hadn't been running long, so I'm sure it wasn't up to operating temp.

Bought a CO detector yesterday. Will be checking the quality of cabin air as soon as I get it.

"If you're not getting the exhaust smell, you most likely have nothing to worry about. It doesn't happen on every vehicle. They just need to figure out what's different about the ones that do get it."

I'm not sure this is a true statement. More specifically, those who don't drive their Explorer at wide open throttle (WOT) in certain conditions may never experience exhaust emissions entering the cabin containing treated or untreated carbon monoxide (CO). It might about driving at WOT several times in a row, HVAC system on recirculate or not, and maybe even under certain weather conditions. Also, if there are defective exhaust manifolds or gaskets, are they leaking initially or do they leak over time. My guess is that the jury is still out on this whole issue. Lastly because CO is a tasteless and odorless gas, that's one more piece of complexity of this equation.

In my experience with the ScanGauge II, these cars don't take long at all to enter closed loop operation... heated O2s?

"If you're not getting the exhaust smell, you most likely have nothing to worry about. It doesn't happen on every vehicle. They just need to figure out what's different about the ones that do get it."

I'm not sure this is a true statement. More specifically, those who don't drive their Explorer at wide open throttle (WOT) in certain conditions may never experience exhaust emissions entering the cabin containing treated or untreated carbon monoxide (CO). It might about driving at WOT several times in a row, HVAC system on recirculate or not, and maybe even under certain weather conditions. Also, if there are defective exhaust manifolds or gaskets, are they leaking initially or do they leak over time. My guess is that the jury is still out on this whole issue. Lastly because CO is a tasteless and odorless gas, that's one more piece of complexity of this equation.

The situation seems to be limited, and there seems to correlation between the two. It makes sense that a vehicle wouldn't throw CO without also leaking the other exhaust gasses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOT Is when i get the rotten eggs smell..but also if I am going 85+ mph for a good 3-4 min (Not often at all but i have done 90 MPH for a good 10 miles strait before) I get the smell

I just don't get how hard is it for ford to locate the leak..and fix it

Back