Rebuilt 5R55W with Remanufactured Torque Converter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt 5R55W with Remanufactured Torque Converter

lmarkie74

Reaction score
City, State
Morganton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Ford Explorer, XLS
Finally got around to replacing my Torque Converter with a re-manufactured Torque Converter. Thinking that the torque converter had a mechanical failure. P0741 TCC stuck off code still showing up. I have replaced the solenoid block with a re-manufactured block. Shifts very well, but I have noticed a bumping feeling when medium to heavy acceleration.
What's next? Wiring from PCM to solenoids? Valve body plugged?

Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had to replace the valve body before on these to take care of that code, I doubt its a wiring issue

I have had to replace the valve body before on these to take care of that code

Do you usually replace it with a reconditioned valve body (cleaned), remanufactured valve body (cleaned and replace worn parts), or remanufactured and updated valve body (update kit)?

yes I usually get a reman valve body.

Problem solved. After rebuilding my 5R55W transmission, I had the problem of the P0741 code, Torque Converter not locking up.

1st thing I did was replace the solenoid pack. That wasn't it.

2nd, I replaced the Torque Converter. A lot of hours to do this plus the original time to take it out, rebuild it, and put it back in. Not it. What a disappointment.

3rd, JK080 mentioned replacing the valve body. Curiosity got the best of me so I removed the valve body to take a look instead of replacing it with a rebuilt valve body. I have a ASTG manual and located the TCC modulator control valve assembly from the diagram and legend. Sure enough, lounged it the valve bore was a chuck of brass about about the size of 1/8" x 1/8". I removed the piece and removed the TCC valve assembly. Cleaned the valve and the bore so that the valve moves freely. No P0741 code.

Goes into lock-up perfectly. So freaking glad! Running about 500 RPMs less on the tack with lock-up. I should have know this is the beginning. This transmission was in bad shape with lots of shavings. Didn't have 4th and 5th gear.

Thanks everyone for your help. I hope this dilemma I had will help others with the same problem.

I have the same code truck runs and shifts fine. I will have to check this out. I changed the filter and fluid last weekend hoping it would help.

Back