Custom Order '17 Platinum came in with bad paint job! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom Order '17 Platinum came in with bad paint job!

KDupuy

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
So, I custom ordered a Silver 2017 Platinum back in May and got a call yesterday that it was finally in. Went to the dealership today to pick it up and apparently it came in with a run in the paint on the bottom right of the liftgate. They attempted to buff it out (hoping it would be in the clearcoat and not the silver....wrong) and it looks terrible!!!!! They are going to redo the back corner of the car. Needless to say.......I came home today in my 2013 Limited! I am so frustrated!!!! I've patiently waited for 12 weeks for my car and now this!!!! How do you pay for a BRAND NEW CAR that has ALREADY had paint work done?!?!? Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone has any suggestions. I just feel like I'm getting screwed on this.

Thanks - Krysti

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Krysti. Yes, this sort of thing has happened to a few members. Although this 'flaw' should have been caught before the vehicle left the factory, unfortunately it was not. Even if they did, they would likely have had to do what your dealership is doing. There was a member here whose Explorer had an area touched up at the factory and the work was very noticeable. Check the work over carefully and make sure you are fully satisfied with it. If you feel strongly enough about this issue you probably refuse delivery. In that case your dealer would have to find a similar Explorer on a dealer's lot since the last order date for 2017 was July 14th. Orders are being accepted for the 2018 but they won't be out until the end of November or mid December.

Peter

Hey Krysti. While I can't offer any help to your problem, I can offer my sympathy & understanding and my story. I had purchased a new Infiniti FX-35 back in 2003 from a major Washington, DC area dealer. I had noticed a little paint run on the gas cap, but it wasn't too bad. The dealer insisted that Infiniti cares and is concerned about the quality of their paint and would want it fixed. I told the service manager that my concern was that it wasn't that bad and I didn't really want to take a chance of the paint looking worse on the beautiful copper paint. They finally talked me into it, put me in a loaner, and I went to pick it up about 1 week later. I searched for the car before going in to get the keys and found it. There were now 2 huge dents in the rear door. I walk inside and the service guy says "I saw you looking at it. It looks good, doesn't it?"

I went ballistic! Then showed him the damage to my new FX. So, back into the loaner car for a few weeks while they correct the damage. Went to pick it up AGAIN and noticed over spray of clear coat on other body panels, runs in the paint, and non-matching paint. Back in the loaner AGAIN! After another attempt, I finally accepted it and there were still areas that were not perfect. I've bought other Infinitis, but NOT from that dealer. Still, that was the best vehicle that I have ever owned and regret to this day selling it with only 100,000 miles in 3 years.

My advice is to refuse delivery and order in a new MY2018.
You've already waited this long, might as well wait again and not accept this one with possibility of regretting it down the road!

My advice is to refuse delivery and order in a new MY2018.
You've already waited this long, might as well wait again and not accept this one with possibility of regretting it down the road!
My thoughts exactly.

many vehicles have had repairs before you see them, at the factory or dealer, paint or mechanical, they wont tell you. They just aren't noted and done internally. Paint they will touch up/repair, its not like a broken hood latch or a shredded up tire etc where they can replace the item instead of repair.

A good body shop can fix that problem. My whole Explorer had to be repainted because of assembly incompetence...

Paint job came out better than factory could, in my opinion.

If it were me, I'd refuse delivery at this point. But chances are good as well that a good body shop can work some real magic.

I have a run in my drivers door. noticed it when washing it. Im taking it in soon.

I had a small (5-6mm) chip in my paint on the rear bumper area of my '16. The dealer fixed it in-house. I looked very closely at the finished job and could not tell anything had been done, looked factory fresh. A good body shop can correct the problem.

With all due respect to those saying to accept repair, as it can be done just as well, if not better; you all didn't have much of a choice as the vehicle was already in your possession.
This his only chance to walk away without any headaches!

Thanks for all the comments. I think at this point I am going to inspect the car after it is "fixed" and before I purchase it. If I am happy, I will take the vehicle and if not then I'm going to walk away from it. It's just frustrating to be told "6 to 8 weeks" and then wait for 12 weeks only to find out that you have to wait even LONGER due to issues with paint. I'm also going to tell them that I want another $1,000 for my trade. The least they can do is give me top trade value for my car especially when I overheard 2 people say that it was the cleanest vehicle they have seen in a long time. (I love my '13 Limited and have taken very good care of it)
13%20Explorer.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3skm21kwhitcdz4/13 Explorer.jpg?dl=0

Krysti

Did you trade it in with the step and push bars?

Did you trade it in with the step and push bars?

I traded it in with the front bumper but took the running bars off before I traded it.

Don't pay for it if you don't want it! You could have it repainted if you like, or not. You could also ask that they give you the tailgate of another new silver Explorer, and then they can paint that one instead of yours. Or not. LOL

Thanks for all the comments. I think at this point I am going to inspect the car after it is "fixed" and before I purchase it. If I am happy, I will take the vehicle and if not then I'm going to walk away from it. It's just frustrating to be told "6 to 8 weeks" and then wait for 12 weeks only to find out that you have to wait even LONGER due to issues with paint. I'm also going to tell them that I want another $1,000 for my trade. The least they can do is give me top trade value for my car especially when I overheard 2 people say that it was the cleanest vehicle they have seen in a long time. (I love my '13 Limited and have taken very good care of it)
13%20Explorer.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3skm21kwhitcdz4/13 Explorer.jpg?dl=0

Krysti
So what is the latest? Did you accept the new vehicle?

Also, be aware they MIGHT not cover the paint repair under the corrosion warranty since it was "repaired" outside of the factory.

Sorry to hear about the OP's experience with the new Explorer. You pay a lot for the Explorer and you want yours to be perfect. I hope Ford does a good job fixing the issue.

Back