• Register Today It's free!

Inertia switch

Poohdaddy

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
I'm trying to track down a fuel issue in my 87 EB BII. Does the inertia switch click when you reset it? The button will push down but I'm not sure it's working. The fuel pump(s) aren't energizing but the relay is clicking on. Any input would be awesome and thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't answer about the button, but by chance is your truck a manual trans?

Could be the clutch defeat switch, assuming there is one on an 87 BII. It would prevent the fuel pump from getting power. They can get gunked up with dirt over time and not make the electrical connection when you press the clutch in to start.

Do you know where this switch is located?

Haha, that second link looks to be one that used to fix mine 17 years ago!

Poohdaddy, if those link don't make it clear to find, it's just a small plastic wire junction that clips loosely to the pushrod that's attached to the clutch pedal arm. I did the zip tie method, which is looping a zip tie through the junction and tightening it so the truck thinks the clutch pedal is pressed (all the time). Mines been like that for 17 years, apparently.
If you don't want to do that, just pull the clip off and clean any dust and dirt out of it. That should be enough to get it working again, if that is the root of your problem.
We all did what the links describe to make driving off-road easier with a stick shift. You may not need or want that.

Haha, that second link looks to be one that used to fix mine 17 years ago!

Poohdaddy, if those link don't make it clear to find, it's just a small plastic wire junction that clips loosely to the pushrod that's attached to the clutch pedal arm. I did the zip tie method, which is looping a zip tie through the junction and tightening it so the truck thinks the clutch pedal is pressed (all the time). Mines been like that for 17 years, apparently.
If you don't want to do that, just pull the clip off and clean any dust and dirt out of it. That should be enough to get it working again, if that is the root of your problem.
We all did what the links describe to make driving off-road easier with a stick shift. You may not need or want that.
Thanks for the help. I'm basically just trying to get the fuel pumps pumping again.

The inertia switch is just a normally-closed contact. It opens if it is shaken too hard.

What that means is that the two wires going to it are normally making contact, but if the vehicle rolls or whatever, the two wires stop making contact.

If you want to test the switch, unhook the wires going to it and unbolt it from the firewall. Push the "button" in. Put an ohmmeter across the electrical terminals. It should be close to zero ohms. Then shake the inertia switch until you hear it "pop" or "click" and the button sticks out more. After you hear the pop or click, put an ohmmeter across the electrical terminals, it should say OL (open line) or a VERY high resistance. If all that works out, then the switch is good.

If you want to bypass the inertia switch, unhook the wires going to the switch and put a jumper wire in between them so they are making contact. If that solves your issue, then the inertia switch is your problem.

Another question: do you hear the fuel pump relay click (make contact) when you turn the ignition on? If the relay isn't pulling in, it could either be a bad relay or a bad computer.

Good luck!
- Joe

Back