Siri not letting me use Sync 3 Voice Navigation! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Siri not letting me use Sync 3 Voice Navigation!

DZsport

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Hi folks, hoping someone can help with my tech issue.

I have an iphone 5C (not the latest I know) with iOS 10.3.3 (this is the latest update).
This iphone is paired to my 2017 Ford Explorer Sport, just confirmed that Sync 3 is fully updated as well.

When I first got the truck I had not problem using the Sync 3 voice navigation even when my iphone was paired. I subsequently activated Apple Carplay and would toggle back and forth periodically between using ACP or Sync 3 as my main interface. Eventually I concluded for my purposes Sync 3 is a better, more seamless system. I also started noticing a problem which was bothersome. Essentially, Siri takes over all voice commands and renders voice Navigation unusable because it blocks the Sync 3 voice navigation command screen and commands. And obviously iphone voice navigation doesn't work unless i have ACP enabled with apple navigation.

So I did the following to troubleshoot:
Disabled Carplay, hoping this would stop Siri from overriding Sync 3 voice control. Siri still controlled it.
Disabled Siri on iphone. When I did this the voice navigation would not work at all, got message on Sync 3 screen to that effect. Essentially, with Siri on the iphone disabled the voice command in the truck is disabled.
Deleted phone from Bluetooth in Sync 3 and then unpaired the iphone from Explorer and then made the iphone 'forget' Explorer device connection; essentially I completely disconnected both from each other. I then re-paired iphone back again. This made no difference, Siri just took over all voice and rendered voice navigation unusable again.
Master Reset. My hope was that this would remove whatever 'corruption' Apple Carplay may have caused and put me back at factory set which would give me back Sync 3 voice command. Well, it did until I re-paired my iphone. Once I did that I am back in the same place, even though I never enabled ACP.:mad:

The Siri takeover happens whether I am usb or bluetooth connected, doesn't matter.

I am hoping others have experienced this and can provide guidance before I take to dealer and they tell me they don't know how to fix it.

Thks for reading, Any advice appreciated!

I finally figured it out and it was simple, can't believe it took me this long!!

Sync 3 voice command activates with a quick push/release of the voice command button on steering column
SIRI voice command activates if you press and hold the voice command button until you hear the Siri chime.

Too funny that I went thru all these gyrations when it was this simple (I'm sure this clarification is somewhere in the user manual, if so shame on me for not reading more thoroughly).

Very happy owner now!!

Hi folks, hoping someone can help with my tech issue.

I have an iphone 5C (not the latest I know) with iOS 10.3.3 (this is the latest update).
This iphone is paired to my 2017 Ford Explorer Sport, just confirmed that Sync 3 is fully updated as well.

When I first got the truck I had not problem using the Sync 3 voice navigation even when my iphone was paired. I subsequently activated Apple Carplay and would toggle back and forth periodically between using ACP or Sync 3 as my main interface. Eventually I concluded for my purposes Sync 3 is a better, more seamless system. I also started noticing a problem which was bothersome. Essentially, Siri takes over all voice commands and renders voice Navigation unusable because it blocks the Sync 3 voice navigation command screen and commands. And obviously iphone voice navigation doesn't work unless i have ACP enabled with apple navigation.

So I did the following to troubleshoot:
Disabled Carplay, hoping this would stop Siri from overriding Sync 3 voice control. Siri still controlled it.
Disabled Siri on iphone. When I did this the voice navigation would not work at all, got message on Sync 3 screen to that effect. Essentially, with Siri on the iphone disabled the voice command in the truck is disabled.
Deleted phone from Bluetooth in Sync 3 and then unpaired the iphone from Explorer and then made the iphone 'forget' Explorer device connection; essentially I completely disconnected both from each other. I then re-paired iphone back again. This made no difference, Siri just took over all voice and rendered voice navigation unusable again.
Master Reset. My hope was that this would remove whatever 'corruption' Apple Carplay may have caused and put me back at factory set which would give me back Sync 3 voice command. Well, it did until I re-paired my iphone. Once I did that I am back in the same place, even though I never enabled ACP.:mad:

The Siri takeover happens whether I am usb or bluetooth connected, doesn't matter.

I am hoping others have experienced this and can provide guidance before I take to dealer and they tell me they don't know how to fix it.

Thks for reading, Any advice appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum DZsport. :wave:
Good to read that you have it all figured out now.;)

Peter

Back