SYNC2 Map Update - Version A8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC2 Map Update - Version A8

The general rule of thumb seems to be that a software update to MFT is free if the customer is having issues with the one installed. Otherwise there is a charge by the dealer to have it done. Some members have been able to find the download online or in this Forum. Depends on what one requires.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the down side of getting a copy? Does the copy not work properly?
if it works with all the updated maps, why should I care if it is real or a copy? Just wondering. I am still on the A4 so an upgrade for me is much needed.
I haven't had any issues with my Ebay A8 card. It is recognized in the MFT Settings as an A8 and works normally as far as I can tell.

Knowing ford, if the fake breaks your system then they won't honor the warranty.
I don't understand how a SD card can 'break' the MFT Nav, it either works or doesn't work.

A SD card isn't going to break the MFT system unless someone would find a way to intentional install a harmful file via the SD card or something like that. It would have to be an intentional act.

The people who sell the copies, making them look legit (passing them off as OEM) and charging OEM prices is the issue. They should charge $50 if that.

........I don't understand how a SD card can 'break' the MFT Nav, it either works or doesn't work.
There is always the possibility it may have been infected with a virus, intentionally or unintentionally.

Peter

I just bought it directly from ford and paid full price. Our explorer had the a5 update so I figured it was worth it.

1. When you upgrade to the A8 (currently have A7) are your saved destinations and favorites are retained?
2. Is there a market for an A7 Map on the factory SD card?

What years (approximately) are the versions? I.e. if I have a 2014 that's never been updated what would I have?

Next question - If it's possible to just copy the map card onto a new SD card, which seems to be what's happening, is it against forum rules to share the data through google drive?

I paid the inflated price for the updated DVDs on my Super Duty. It was handy because of all the added roads in Texas every other week. Anyone driving through DFW or Austin can appreciate that. But on the SD I had to provide a VIN which then generated some kind of key code on their end to be able to install it. I assume it's an algorithm that's probably not hard to break, but still a pain.

What years (approximately) are the versions? I.e. if I have a 2014 that's never been updated what would I have?

Next question - If it's possible to just copy the map card onto a new SD card, which seems to be what's happening, is it against forum rules to share the data through google drive?

I paid the inflated price for the updated DVDs on my Super Duty. It was handy because of all the added roads in Texas every other week. Anyone driving through DFW or Austin can appreciate that. But on the SD I had to provide a VIN which then generated some kind of key code on their end to be able to install it. I assume it's an algorithm that's probably not hard to break, but still a pain.
If you are referring to the card, you likely have and A4 or A5. You can pull it out and it will tell you on the card. As far as being able to copy a card see;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/sd-card-for-navigation-went-bad.400341/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/a7-navigation-map-for-sync-2-released.439165/
Since discussions about removing catalytic converters is not allowed here because it is illegal to remove them, I suppose if copying the SD card is illegal then supplying step by step instruction on 'How To' then that would probably not be allowed. The site Admin would have to rule on that.

Peter

If you are referring to the card, you likely have and A4 or A5. You can pull it out and it will tell you on the card. As far as being able to copy a card see;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/sd-card-for-navigation-went-bad.400341/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/a7-navigation-map-for-sync-2-released.439165/
Since discussions about removing catalytic converters is not allowed here because it is illegal to remove them, I suppose if copying the SD card is illegal then supplying step by step instruction on 'How To' then that would probably not be allowed. The site Admin would have to rule on that.

Peter

When you change (update) the the card, does the APIM keep your saved destinations?

Warning ! I purchased A8 off ebay. It got replaced twice because both die after a week of use. The vendor ended up refunding my money. Btw, my MFT rebooted a few times during the incident. Now, back using my old A6 card.

Warning ! I purchased A8 off ebay. It got replaced twice because both die after a week of use. The vendor ended up refunding my money. Btw, my MFT rebooted a few times during the incident. Now, back using my old A6 card.

I'm in the process of doing the same. Purchased the A8 sd card off Ebay. I had to get the first one replaced after a week or so. The second one also doesn't work after a week. I'll be getting a full refund and it's back to the A6 maps.

Why wouldn't you guys just get it from Ford? But nice or buy twice is what my wife says, used to get mad at her for spending money but she's making sense these days.

I'm in the process of doing the same. Purchased the A8 sd card off Ebay. I had to get the first one replaced after a week or so. The second one also doesn't work after a week. I'll be getting a full refund and it's back to the A6 maps.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Those are sometimes the risks people take when they don't buy the OEM. Not always, but as evidenced here, it happens more often then you think.

Peter

how do I know that MFT is in need of update? my MFT went blank yesterday during So California heat wave 110 degrees. I pulled off and restarted the explorer and it worked fine. but the navigator wasnt working until I parked the xplo for an hour and it works fine. is that good enough for upgrade at no cost at the dealer?

how do I know that MFT is in need of update? my MFT went blank yesterday during So California heat wave 110 degrees. I pulled off and restarted the explorer and it worked fine. but the navigator wasnt working until I parked the xplo for an hour and it works fine. is that good enough for upgrade at no cost at the dealer?
MFT updates (other thread) and Map updates (this thread) are 2 different things. I understand that 3.0 is the latest MFT version. Which version are you on?

Peter

ill go check. I am at work my boss is at workshop hold a few seconds!

I found that I have A6 Navitator but cannot find out about MFT

I found that I have A6 Navitator but cannot find out about MFT
Press Settings on the MFT screen, then press Help and then press System Information. Then you will see CCPU S/W Version which may look something like 3.08.15128.EA.10_PRODUCT. That is V3.8. The latest apparently is 3.10.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you i will find out soon.

Back