Interior Door panel issue / separation | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Door panel issue / separation

Anyone know why 2011 Explorers have issues with interior door panels? Ive had issues with my 2011 limited Stone interior door panels from day one. Had 2 panels replaced when purchased because of a blister like bubble & whitish like creasing around cup holders. 3 years later it’s happened again and i'm out of warranty. Anyone know if new door panels manufactured today from Ford have these issues? Or are the updated by chance?

I'm having the same issue with my 2015. Did you ever report the problem as the website recommended? If so, did you get a response from Ford?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I am having the same problem as well as a crack coming in the door panel on the drivers side were it looks like it is threaded together in the crease. But I have also noticed that both front doors have the problem where it looks as if the vinyl part is pulling away from the door. I have around 61,000 miles on mine and it is a 2014 so of course there is no warranty. Is there any thing that can be done about this?
I'm having the same issue with my 2015 after only 2 years. Ford has to have a defective glues or something

My doors did this as well,on a 2014 Explorer Limited. I have a case out trying to get some help with this via Ford Customer Service. This is so maddening!!!! Car is 2 years old, perfect otherwise and this happens and Ford thinks they are not responsible!!!! This is horrible. So disappointed. This is our 8th Ford and this is so unacceptable. Furious. Dealer wants $600 to fix. Not paying this - I am going to stop at nothing to make Ford take care of this!!!!! I am told the police explorers do this as well. Makes my car look very cheap. Can't stand a company that won't take care of their faulty workmanship - Shoddy, very shoddy Ford.
cant agree more, mine is a 2015 and doing it passenger and drivers side both. Is your steering wheel peeling as well? Ford needs to pony up a recall, this is obviously a defect!

cant agree more, mine is a 2015 and doing it passenger and drivers side both. Is your steering wheel peeling as well? Ford needs to pony up a recall, this is obviously a defect!
Welcome to the Forum Patti.:wave:
I don't recall any steering wheel peeling issues bein brought up here before. As for the door panels, take it to the dealer if still under warranty or if they can't/won't do anything, several members have had a 3rd party like an upholstery shop fix it.
Also, please complete your registration by adding the Requested/Required "Trim Level" (base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be helpful info at times. Thanks.

Peter

2014 Limited and driver door panel is coming apart at the top. I will be going to an upholstery repair shop, each day it looks a little worse. Just had the AC fixed ($400 - actuator), of course no warranty. Shouldn't these things last longer than a few years?

2014 Limited and driver door panel is coming apart at the top. I will be going to an upholstery repair shop, each day it looks a little worse. Just had the AC fixed ($400 - actuator), of course no warranty. Shouldn't these things last longer than a few years?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Yes they definitely should but like anything mechanical, it can break down at any time. That is one reason I take out the ESP Warranty. May not ever need it but who knows? As for the door panel, in my opinion that is an issue that should not be happening. It would appear that something was not done correctly during the manufacturing stage. Unfortunately Ford seems to be unwilling to recognize that there is a problem here and customers are left to repair it on their own. You could ask the dealer if there is anything they are willing to do but don't expect much if anything. If Ford isn't willing to work with the dealer then any costs will come out of their pocket. Good luck.

Peter

Yes they definitely should but like anything mechanical, it can break down at any time. That is one reason I take out the ESP Warranty. May not ever need it but who knows? As for the door panel, in my opinion that is an issue that should not be happening. It would appear that something was not done correctly during the manufacturing stage. Unfortunately Ford seems to be unwilling to recognize that there is a problem here and customers are left to repair it on their own. You could ask the dealer if there is anything they are willing to do but don't expect much if anything. If Ford isn't willing to work with the dealer then any costs will come out of their pocket. Good luck.

Peter
Went to the upholstery shop yesterday, $133.50 to fix one door. Ford wanted $350 to replace the door panel but I was reluctant to go that route afraid that the same issue would pop up later.

skbly - if you want a comparison, I had both doors done at $100 with my upholsterer. It took about 30 minutes for each door to remove, apply adhesive and staple for greater security.

Good luck, mine looks so much better afterwards and although this never happened with my previous 5 Fords, it might be the issue that makes this one my last. I know that seems severe but for the company to blow this off when it seems like a clear problem with their glue batch, I'm disappointed with how they and my dealer have chosen to respond.

Wanted to add my vote....
2014 Ford Sport 24,000 miles. Passenger side trim is almost completely pulled away from window gasket area. Very disappointed

It looks exactly like Go3Team..but 90% across the top is peeled up.

Wanted to add my vote....
2014 Ford Sport 24,000 miles. Passenger side trim is almost completely pulled away from window gasket area. Very disappointed

It looks exactly like Go3Team..but 90% across the top is peeled up.
Sorry to read about your issue.

Peter

I have a 2014 Explorer. I only have 30k miles but am no longer in warranty. The passenger side front interior door panel has separated at the top of the panel under the window. It appears to me that the plastic panel has expanded. I went to the local dealer PAUL CLARK FORD today, and was told that the panel was $300 plus labor to replace. The people on duty stated that they would not perform this work as warranty and they would not warranty the replacement if I had them do the work.
The service manager was not in this afternoon. . I left him message, but I he has not contacted me yet. I will pursue this as a basic defect that is FORD's responsibility.

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT with the same door panel issue. My vehicle has 47000 miles on it and of course, it is not under warranty. I have not went into a dealer to find out the price. But by researching I have found that they will be charging too much.

Has anyone tried gluing it themselves? I am tempted to do this by myself but I don't know which type of glue to get. I can feel the padding under the vinyl. I live in the south right now so it is hot outside and the black vinyl is more pliable. So, this is a better time than any.

Any suggestions?

I have a 2014 Explorer. I only have 30k miles but am no longer in warranty. The passenger side front interior door panel has separated at the top of the panel under the window. It appears to me that the plastic panel has expanded. I went to the local dealer PAUL CLARK FORD today, and was told that the panel was $300 plus labor to replace. The people on duty stated that they would not perform this work as warranty and they would not warranty the replacement if I had them do the work.
The service manager was not in this afternoon. . I left him message, but I he has not contacted me yet. I will pursue this as a basic defect that is FORD's responsibility.
I have a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT with the same door panel issue. My vehicle has 47000 miles on it and of course, it is not under warranty. I have not went into a dealer to find out the price. But by researching I have found that they will be charging too much.

Has anyone tried gluing it themselves? I am tempted to do this by myself but I don't know which type of glue to get. I can feel the padding under the vinyl. I live in the south right now so it is hot outside and the black vinyl is more pliable. So, this is a better time than any.

Any suggestions?
Most genuine Ford parts carry a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty. I don't know why they would not warranty the repair. I would ask them about that. Since you are out of warranty they are correct in stating that it would not be a warranty repair. I agree this seems to be a defect but it is Ford's opinion that counts. I believe that even if you had the ESP warranty, this sort of thing would not be covered.
The only suggestion I can offer if you don't want to attempt a DIY as a few of done perhaps go to an upholstery shop as several members here have posted. There are posts in this thread on both options. Good luck.

Peter

Hello, I have a 2015 Explorer Sport with the identical issue (Actually Worse) on my drivers side. Unfortunately, i am out of warranty. Does Ford see this as a concern?

Outside looking in:

WQFDhz0.jpg

Inside looking out:

JIjdAPK.jpg

e2AIVso.jpg

Hello, I have a 2015 Explorer Sport with the identical issue (Actually Worse) on my drivers side. Unfortunately, i am out of warranty. Does Ford see this as a concern?
Not exactly sure what you actually mean by "a concern". They will fix the issue if you under the factory warranty, otherwise, you like most of the others to post here lately are on your own. Ford has not acknowledged this as being a defect although it clearly appears to be.

Peter

I have the same issue with my 2014 sport. I had the driver's side fixed while under warranty, but now the passenger has started separating and my warranty is up.

I have the same issue with my 2014 sport. I had the driver's side fixed while under warranty, but now the passenger has started separating and my warranty is up.

Peter

My 2015 Explorer Sport is showing the same issue on the passenger door. In fact, the Dealer replaced the driver side interior panel as the armrest had split and that was covered under warranty about a year ago. We just passed the 60K mile mark and have a Ford ESP covering everything but the interior for 7 year 125K and was told that this most recent item would not be covered under the extended warranty. Talk about a bad experience and something that Ford could fix with about an hour of labor and some better adhesive. When I get ready to replace the Explorer (later this year or early next), I will be looking at another manufacturer as a result.

VIN: 1FM5K8GTXFGA07368

Is anyone from @FordServiceCA, @FORD, or @FordService monitoring this forum any longer who can confirm if this situation is not covered under the warranty?

- Steve

Im new here and found this forum due to unfortunate issues with my 2014 Ford Explorer Sport.
Interior door panel trim is lifting where it merges with the window. Sounds like an issue Ford is well aware of. Of course I spent $1773 dollars on a "bumper to bumper" warranty that the USAA rep told me all I needed to do was "maintain the vehicle such as oil, glass,tires." Sent the voice recording to the warranty company with no avail. So now I don't know where to go, it's a hard pill to swallow paying ALOT of money for a vehicle that has issues known by the the Ford Motor Company.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a early run of the 2015 Limited Explorer. This issue of the covering separating from the door panel started happening in July of 2017 at 26,000 miles. By the time I got to the dealership from our travels, it was August; by then I was a few days outside of the 36 month warranty and was told it won't be covered. Called Ford Customer Service and was again told it won't be covered. I think it is ridiculous that Ford is not covering this issue - I'm tempted to leave it looking awful just so when people see the issue I can respond "Ford quality control, Ford [not]standing behind their product."

Back