5.0 347 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 347 swap

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 mercury mountaineer
Okay guys. I have a bone stock mercury mountaineer. It's a 01. It's my off road truck. The lil 5.0 just don't have enough. I've purchased a built 347 with trick flow heads. My question is. Will the stock ignition still function with this giant cam? I know I'll need injectors and maf. And a tune
I guess I'm looking for pointers on this. Not very familiar with the ignition set up.
Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Info. 01 mercury mountaineer.
Superduty one tons. 4 link. Coil overs.
347 coming soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are the cam specs? How high does this rev?

You might get away with the stock tune if the stock injectors can be used. Otherwise, for tuning, being in an explorer, you'll be on your own for a tune.
The stock ignition will work fine provided you get the proper harmonic balancer, which can be tricky. Your stock one will not work. It is a 3 piece unit comprised of the balancer, main pulley and ignition trigger.

Frankly, you've opened a can of worms and should have done a bit more research before pulling the trigger on the 347 cammed engine.
Hopefully the stock exhaust manifolds will bolt up, do you have headers? Will you need a different torque converter to keep the thing held still at idle? Are you going to use the stock intake manifold and keep egr?

You'll also need the correct balance flex plate with the correct tooth count for the starter. What balance is this engine built to?

What are the cam specs? How high does this rev?

You might get away with the stock tune if the stock injectors can be used. Otherwise, for tuning, being in an explorer, you'll be on your own for a tune.
The stock ignition will work fine provided you get the proper harmonic balancer, which can be tricky. Your stock one will not work. It is a 3 piece unit comprised of the balancer, main pulley and ignition trigger.

Frankly, you've opened a can of worms and should have done a bit more research before pulling the trigger on the 347 cammed engine.
Hopefully the stock exhaust manifolds will bolt up, do you have headers? Will you need a different torque converter to keep the thing held still at idle? Are you going to use the stock intake manifold and keep egr?

You'll also need the correct balance flex plate with the correct tooth count for the starter. What balance is this engine built to?

Spec sheet says 7900. I have complete build sheet. I'll get info tomorrow. This is just a toy
No egr.
Would like to keep all bolt on parts more stock just for the availability issue.
If I can't get what I want out of this I will just put a fitech on it.

You'll be amazed by the torque difference when you get it sorted. I hope you do. Sorry if my post sounded kinda harsh but there's a lot to do here.

I'd probably recommend advancing the cam a few degrees if possible to bring the torque curve down, so you can cleanly throttle out of idle.
Staying with small of MAF and throttle body as possible will help also with increased vacuum. The stock exhaust manifolds can be ported a bit but will still be the restriction, so the intake diameter will be of little consequence.

Need to find a harmonic balancer.

You'll be amazed by the torque difference when you get it sorted. I hope you do. Sorry if my post sounded kinda harsh but there's a lot to do here.

I'd probably recommend advancing the cam a few degrees if possible to bring the torque curve down, so you can cleanly throttle out of idle.
Staying with small of MAF and throttle body as possible will help also with increased vacuum. The stock exhaust manifolds can be ported a bit but will still be the restriction, so the intake diameter will be of little consequence.

Need to find a harmonic balancer.

Harmonic balancer came on the engine from the builder. As far as the crank trigger and puller set up gos, is there a place you can recommend.
Another reason I want to stay stock is for the trans. I do not want to use a sas.

the balancer will be the death of you. you can call damper dudes http://www.damperdudes.net/ (if i remember, his name is ron) or asp racing https://www.autospecialties.com/ and tell them what you have, and what its going into. however the other problem you may have is your motor is balanced to the balancer thats in it now, and may have to get it rebalanced when the new one arrives.
also, if you need tuning done, you can call don at lasota racing http://www.lasotaracing.com/ and he can help you with that.
as for your ignition, if you are meaning stock coils, and wires you can use them. for maf injectors and tune, you will more then likely need them as well as a bigger fuel pump
but like turdle said, with the stroker in there, you will be amazed with the difference once you get everything happy with each other and playing nice.

I've fabricated a 36-1 trigger wheel to mount behind the early style crank pulley. Had to fab a new VR sensor mount too... but it wasn't a big deal and have lots of miles on my custom setup, works great.

As far as tune goes, I think Pops Racing is the only outfit out there that can provide a definition for these late model EEC-V computers, but I've never tried it so cannot attest to the quality.

I've fabricated a 36-1 trigger wheel to mount behind the early style crank pulley. Had to fab a new VR sensor mount too... but it wasn't a big deal and have lots of miles on my custom setup, works great.

As far as tune goes, I think Pops Racing is the only outfit out there that can provide a definition for these late model EEC-V computers, but I've never tried it so cannot attest to the quality.

That sounds interesting. So you have an old style balancer, and what pulley, with a trigger wheel between them?

I'm using the accessory drive of a Fox Mustang, so not terribly compact (certainly not compact enough to fit in a Ex/Mounty chassis), but I'm running EDIS8 with coil packs and the whole lot. After measuring the crank spacing from the Ex 5.0L damper, it might be possible to cut a stock Fox or SN95 pulley and fab an adapter that mounts it to the early style damper AND integrate a 36-1 wheel.

I'm using the accessory drive of a Fox Mustang, so not terribly compact (certainly not compact enough to fit in a Ex/Mounty chassis), but I'm running EDIS8 with coil packs and the whole lot. After measuring the crank spacing from the Ex 5.0L damper, it might be possible to cut a stock Fox or SN95 pulley and fab an adapter that mounts it to the early style damper AND integrate a 36-1 wheel.

Hmm, how did you get the Fox Mustang parts to fit in the Explorer? I was thinking you meant using a 94/95 Mustang pulley on a modified balancer.

I'll be following this. Have a slight rear main leak. If the engine is coming out I'm doing more than fixing a leak.

Or I'll sell the stupid thing and buy a cayenne. Anyone want a cammed explorer with real TM headers?

Or since it's an off road rig, I'm gonna show my age.

Get a trans controller, stick a distributor in there, and throw a 700 cfm Holley on a dual plane intake.

That baby would scream.

Now back to the present day.

Or since it's an off road rig, I'm gonna show my age.

Get a trans controller, stick a distributor in there, and throw a 700 cfm Holley on a dual plane intake.

That baby would scream.

Now back to the present day.
It'd scream louder with EFI, and electronic ignition, have longer life, use less fuel, and run better at extreme angles or off camber.

I'll be following this. Have a slight rear main leak. If the engine is coming out I'm doing more than fixing a leak. Or I'll sell the stupid thing and buy a cayenne. Anyone want a cammed explorer with real TM headers?

How much? :D

You could pull the trans instead of the motor and maker 'er a 2wd and fix it then.

:burnout:

How much? :D

You could pull the trans instead of the motor and maker 'er a 2wd and fix it then.

:burnout:
Believe me it has crossed my mind. I do have a 2wd trans in the back yard and still technically own a 00 2wd v8.

I'll be following this. Have a slight rear main leak. If the engine is coming out I'm doing more than fixing a leak.

Or I'll sell the stupid thing and buy a cayenne. Anyone want a cammed explorer with real TM headers?

That sounds like the time for a blower, and better exhaust; then it'll need the 4WD traction. I like 4WD, I don't like having the back tires spin at all.

Yes Don. Through the trails, in the snow or on the street, 2wd is for people who know how to drive and have fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes Don. Through the trails, in the snow or on the street, 2wd is for people who know how to drive and have fun.

2wd isn't fun where there is real snow. Where I'm from 2wd would leave you stuck at home half the winter.

Back