Remote start draining battery Please help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start draining battery Please help!!

John Molenstra

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
My battery died so I got a jump And had it tested. The test said that the battery was dead so I replaced it. My car started right up with the new battery but when I tried to start the car with my remote start it would just click and then if I try to start with the push button it won’t start as if the battery is dead. I jump it and it starts fine again. Then I tried the remote start again, once again it drains the battery and wont start. So I went into settings and turned remote start off and my truck starts every time even though sometimes it sounds kind of sluggish when it’s starting. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My battery died so I got a jump And had it tested. The test said that the battery was dead so I replaced it. My car started right up with the new battery but when I tried to start the car with my remote start it would just click and then if I try to start with the push button it won’t start as if the battery is dead. I jump it and it starts fine again. Then I tried the remote start again, once again it drains the battery and wont start. So I went into settings and turned remote start off and my truck starts every time even though sometimes it sounds kind of sluggish when it’s starting. Any help would be greatly appreciated

The remote start will not work under certain conditions:
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/locks-and-security/remote-start-system.html

Please also be aware that when you buy a new battery off the shelf, it may only have a partial charge on it.

Please also be aware that when you buy a new battery off the shelf, it may only have a partial charge on it.
Yes I am aware of that but it’s been two weeks and still if I use the remote start it drains the battery instantly and the car will not start unless it is jumped.

You have warranty, take it to the dealer.

Welcome to the Forum John.:wave:
I agree with JAPeterson. Have dealer check it out. Also, I don't understand how trying to use the remote start can drain a fully charged battery with a single attempted start. Chances are that your OEM battery was still good/recoverable.

Peter

Remote start will not drain the battery instantly. If the battery has full capacity, to drain the battery instantly is going to involve a major fire.

What you should do is check the battery with a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM). It should have a float voltage of around 12V with the vehicle off. It should have a voltage reading of 13.0 to 14.6V while the vehicle is running. The higher the voltage when running, it's normally indicating that the battery has a state of discharge or there is a large load being placed on the electrical system.

You can also leave the meter attached while starting the vehicle. If the voltage drops significantly during the cranking cycle, it can indicate an undercharged battery and/or a weak battery.

You could have an issue with the starting system as well. Since it's a 2016 (assuming you're under 36k miles), as others have said, I'd take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

I agree with what the others are saying. Remote start has nothing to do with your battery going dead. Either you have a bad battery, faulty wiring, parasitic draw or post factory equipment drawing power or a combination of those.

First thing: do you have any post factory equipment installed and/or anything plugged into a power source in the vehicle?

Also, you could have a faulty alternator that is not providing full charge to recharge the battery. Best to have a dealer do a diagnostic.

I had the same issue with my 2013 explorer sport. Do you have a keyless start button or turn the actual key? At times, I didn't turn the key all the way completely before ripping it out of the ignition. I noticed that the dash lights were on differently than when I would remotely unlock and enter the vehicle. Long story short, I went thru 5 batteries before realizing what I was doing but now that I'm aware of my idiocies, I've had no issues at all. It reminded me of what I went thru a few years ago after I read your post... thanks

I had the same issue with my 2013 explorer sport. Do you have a keyless start button or turn the actual key? At times, I didn't turn the key all the way completely before ripping it out of the ignition. I noticed that the dash lights were on differently than when I would remotely unlock and enter the vehicle. Long story short, I went thru 5 batteries before realizing what I was doing but now that I'm aware of my idiocies, I've had no issues at all. It reminded me of what I went thru a few years ago after I read your post... thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
In any car I've had before it was not possible to remove that key in the 'accessory' position. It had to be in the OFF position in order to remove the key. Since my last 3 vehicles have all had the push button ignition I can't tell you if what you have is normal or not.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
In any car I've had before it was not possible to remove that key in the 'accessory' position. It had to be in the OFF position in order to remove the key. Since my last 3 vehicles have all had the push button ignition I can't tell you if what you have is normal or not.

Peter
I wasn't talking to you Peter, I replied to John's original post.
I didn't say it came out in the accessory position. Keyed ignitions get worn out and wear down over time. Look deeper into the key ignition problems some Fords experience before jumping in. Thanks

I wasn't talking to you Peter, I replied to John's original post.
I didn't say it came out in the accessory position. Keyed ignitions get worn out and wear down over time. Look deeper into the key ignition problems some Fords experience before jumping in. Thanks
Just trying help. Many members here jump in on replies to other posts in an effort try and help out. That's what we do here.

Peter

Just trying help. Many members here jump in on replies to other posts in an effort try and help out. That's what we do here.

Peter[/QUOTE

I also was trying to help Peter, but you disputed everything I said in my reply to John. Then told me about your vehicles for some reason. I'm not sure how that's trying to help anyone at all? What possible help could anyone get from your reply? I shared my experience with the forum, plain and simple. Sorry for wasting your time gentlemen, thanks

The OP hasn't even visited or posted in a week. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the issue at this point.

Hello everyone, sorry about the delay. The remote start is definitely not draining the battery as I have turned off remote start and still having the same problem occasionally. Now what is happening is I will push button to start and it will sound like battery is dead and then will click. But if I try a few more times the car will start so definitely not battery or alternator. Definitely something electrical.

Similar issue just yesterday. Drove vehicle, parked, and left for an hour or so. Came back, tried remote start and only got a click. Doors unlocked, but nothing on inside. Could not get dash to light etc.... Told spouse to wait and I would walk the mile home, get her fob, and return in her car. Upon return, she indicated that after about 5 minutes the vehicle suddenly started. Remember the key fob is in my pocket several blocks away, and her fob was in the house-even further removed. She said she turned engine off and tried to call me, but of course being a man my phone was off. When I returned I tried her key fob and no results. So I sat in vehicle for several minutes. Soon chimes started, dash began to flicker with its normal start up lights, so I tried the push start-all died. Ready to call Ford Roadside, when a repeat performance, this time vehicle started and i proceeded home as if all normal. Turned it off, started again as normal. Strange with time delay.
To dealers tomorrow for normal service and will be talking to them about this. Of course they will not be able to duplicate, so...., but want it in the record.

A weak or bad battery can play all kinds of havoc with these Explorers. That would be my first check. Strange about the delayed start although there was another member who reported he was able to start his without the fob being anywhere near the vehicle. Please report back.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Similar problem again today. Drove about a mile, stopped for an hour, came back and attempted to start vehicle. Nothing. Waited several minutes-had chimes and engine, brake etc dash lights several times but would not start. After 10-15 minutes I did get vehicle to start. Got it into drive and opened hood to charge battery. Lots of corrosion on Positive terminal. Also looked as if a critter had gotten under post cap-lots of seeds and debris. Used some baking soda and water to clean post. Tried to restart-just clicks that wouldn't stop. Terminal got very hot and smoking. Had to disconnect lead. Couldn't budge copper connector tie-down. Too corroded. Just removed cable. Cleaned with cotton swabs. Reattached and charged-about 2.5 hour. Was down to 30% by time i got cable disconnected. Hope it starts in morning for trip to dealer. Will keep posted on what they say.

Back