Do they sell aftermarket center console lids? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do they sell aftermarket center console lids?

cz413

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02, Sport Trac
The front seats and center console have been reupholstered.

The seats are barely ok but I don't like the centerconsole lid. It's cracked and there's a screw that keeps stabbing the passenger elbow from being under-stuffed.

Ideally I want a lid that's completely plastic. Black maybe? A little caddy would be cool to keep a cellphone in there to prevent it from falling.

I see diy kits or the standard cushioned lid, but not completely plastic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd just like to find a lid at all. I picked up a center console from an '02 STrac last weekend that's missing the lid and they don't appear to be cheap to replace.

I'd just like to find a lid at all. I picked up a center console from an '02 STrac last weekend that's missing the lid and they don't appear to be cheap to replace.

I saw a few on eBay for less than $30 I believe. Plenty replacement kits though.

Interesting. I wonder if we're looking at different types of lid. I also need one with the hinge.

Interesting. I wonder if we're looking at different types of lid. I also need one with the hinge.

You're right. It seems to be like $70-$100.

Have you checked the junkyard?

I don't know what style of console you have. If it's the one that hinges back, I've seen people on eBay selling complete NOS lids. There are also used lids and re upholstery kits available. I bought a good used, reupholstered lid for one of my trucks off eBay for around $40 because my plastic was trashed. I've also reupholstered 3 lids with excellent results.

Below is a link to the type of lid my trucks have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ford-Ex...ash=item2a38d500f5:g:f2UAAOSwBt5ZFhJ1&vxp=mtr

s-l400.jpg

That's what I have.

Lid is only half the problem with the short bag console. Plastic bracket is notorious for breaking with the slightest amount of weight on it. Snapped mine in half while barely leaning on it adjusting my manual passenger side mirror. One of the FEW Dorman products I feel confident recommending.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-79400-924-834.aspx

EDIT- You posted just before me. You have the long console without the bag. As koda said, check eBay.

I've been watching ebay and haven't found a complete lid with hinge for a reasonable price yet. If you happen to see one I'm all ears.

What color do you need? I have several. After reading on here how hard they are to find I've bought any good ones I've found in the salvage yard.

Not sure about the OP, but I'd love dark gray. Anything functional would be okay though since I have several things to dye/paint as it is.

I'll dig around tomorrow to see what I have. There are 3 or 4 shades of gray. The dark, dark gray is hard to come by. I've seen them in Mountaineers more than any Explorers. I know I have a light gray, at least 1 medium dark gray, and a couple of shades of tan.

I'll dig around tomorrow to see what I have. There are 3 or 4 shades of gray. The dark, dark gray is hard to come by. I've seen them in Mountaineers more than any Explorers. I know I have a light gray, at least 1 medium dark gray, and a couple of shades of tan.
Thanks! Any idea what you'd want for one?

Well, I do have several lids, but I didn't think to get the hinge with any of them. I intend to get to the salvage yard soon, probably next Saturday as it's raining today, and I'll pick up some hinges then. I'll get back to you.

I need a tan one for the 05 Adrenalin I just bought. I don't need a hinge. I do have a real nice tan one but it's the wrong shade. I could try and take a picture of what I have and need, not sure it will show good color but I will try. I would be willing to sell mine that is the wrong color once I get the correct color.

Sorry to take so long to get back to this. I went to the salvage yard last week and got hinges for the lids I have. I have a light to medium gray lid, a dark gray lid, and a tan lid. The vinyl and padding are very good on all 3.

The light gray needs a good cleaning and one of the latch hooks is broken. The broken hook wouldn't be a big deal to me, but might be to someone else.

The dark gray lid has a fair sized wedge out of 1 front corner of the plastic underside. Both latches are broken. Neither flaw is all that big a deal to me. Top side is in excellent condition. This lid appears to be the same color as the original vinyl lid on my '01 ST. I'm not sure it's as quite dark as what's in the photo above.

The tan lid is perfect.

Keep in mind these lids came from Explorers, so the colors may not match the ST interiors.

The best part of going to the salvage yard for the small parts last week was finding out they had a half price sale today. I went back and got a hood with liner and a driver's side fender and inner liner from an '01 Sport all for $75. Too bad they're Silver Frost instead of Silver Birch like my '02 ST, but they're just spare parts just in case. Kinda wish I'd gotten some more parts from the Sport, but then I'm just stockpiling parts.

How much would you like for the tan lid?

I need a tan one for the 05 Adrenalin I just bought.

What's the console lid look like in that? I think I have a 02-05 tan Explorer lid somewhere...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the console lid look like in that? I think I have a 02-05 tan Explorer lid somewhere...

Totally different consoles. The STs use the 2nd Gen Explorer consoles with a different cupholder section.

Back