My Custom Cold Air Intake (Lots of Pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Custom Cold Air Intake (Lots of Pics)

The only mods I made was taking all or as much of the oem stock intake piping out and replaced with silicone hose, aluminum tube and aftermarket air filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love this site, but people really need to start updating their threads. A solid 90% of the threads I click on with how to info, are full of pics, don't work anymore. :(

Love this site, but people really need to start updating their threads. A solid 90% of the threads I click on with how to info, are full of pics, don't work anymore. :(
Its because the sites that were used to upload have started charging to share..

All those "third party" blank pics are from Photobucket. Here's some pics from the OP using Google Images.

PB fix for Chrome. Firefox fix included in link below.
Photobucket Embedded Image Fix

Its because the sites that were used to upload have started charging to share..
Strange. I've been using photobucket for near a decade now and it's never cost me a dime? :dunno:

Thanks swshawaii, I'm seeing now he's running a 4.0L. Too bad, I was looking for something for one of the 4.6 3V's. Can't stomach the cost, or for that matter at the look of the K&N intake available for our trucks. The aftermarket really left the 3V 4th Gens in the cold. :(

Strange. I've been using photobucket for near a decade now and it's never cost me a dime? :dunno:

Thanks swshawaii, I'm seeing now he's running a 4.0L. Too bad, I was looking for something for one of the 4.6 3V's. Can't stomach the cost, or for that matter at the look of the K&N intake available for our trucks. The aftermarket really left the 3V 3rd Gens in the cold. :(
Just changed not long ago..try and post a picture on here..

Just changed not long ago..try and post a picture on here..

Let me know if this works?

B4852D44-7BEE-45D3-B2B7-44ADAB1A766B_zps1lynpds3.jpg

Shiney! Does it give your ECU fits, or have you got a tune to go along with it? Pick up a lot of intake noise?

When I installed this, I was still running on a stock tune. That's the beauty of this setup. Because the MAF is built into the OEM air box, the metered air is monitored before the intake pipe, so it won't throw any CEL codes. Also, the replacement pipe is the same diameter as the OEM pipe (3.5"); it's just less restrictive.

As for intake noise, there's a little more engine noise at wide open throttle, but it's not all that noticeable--especially when compared to an open-filter style intake like the K&N CAI.

If you'd prefer a less "shiny" pipe, the website I listed above also sells the same size pipes in carbon fiber. They're also available here at a little cheaper price: intakehoses.com. Either way, I bought a 24" pipe and cut it down to about 14". That was about a perfect fit. But with the aluminum pipe, you'll have about $60-70 invested in this setup for the couplers, clamps, and pipe. If you prefer the carbon fiber pipe, they cost a bit more.

I'm no longer running this intake on my truck. I'm currently running a K&N 77-2573KP Air Intake that a friend gave to me a while back. Having run both of these setups, I can tell you that you definitely get a more "throaty" growl with the K&N at WOT.

I bought a bunch of parts to make one for my 07 4.0..... too bad I didnt measure because the TB is only 3" and my 90 degree was 3.5" so had to order another 90 degree in 3.5 to 3" .... my 3.5" 45 fits the airbox perfect

I bought a bunch of parts to make one for my 07 4.0..... too bad I didnt measure because the TB is only 3" and my 90 degree was 3.5" so had to order another 90 degree in 3.5 to 3" .... my 3.5" 45 fits the airbox perfect

Can you post any pictures of your custom CAI for your 4.0L V6?

Can you post any pictures of your custom CAI for your 4.0L V6?

once its finished I will post as much as humanly possible with all data and details to build it yourself for cheap as possible.... im putting this between 30-50 bucks..... its also looking like the pipe between the 2 silicone couplers might be around 5 inches max there really isnt that much space to connect the tb and airbox.... I bought a 12" 3.5" pipe and if there is such a thing as a 3.5" exhaust this can be even cheaper

new update...... there is no 45 degree coupler in this setup...... all I needed was a 90 degree 3" to 3.5" a 3.5" pipe and a 3.5" to 3.5" straight coupler..... my 45 is now in my parts bin and lucky I bought a 12" silicone pipe in 3.5" so I just cut some off of that to make the straight coupler once I figure out the valve cover breather hose Ill start my own write up.... im going to wrap the pipe in gloss black vinyl so it matches the silicone couplers.... as of right now I feels no different but I will run some side by side comparisons using the torque app..... 0-30 0-60 and 1/8 mile and compare HP and TQ numbers

Back