2002 Explorer XLT 4.6L V8 4X4 won’t start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT 4.6L V8 4X4 won’t start

AAhl

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6L V8 4X4
I have a 2002 Explorer late 2001 edition that won’t start. Battery is new, terminals are new, alternator is new. Starter has voltage, Relay has been replaced, crank shaft position sensor has been replaced, ignition switch has been replaced and nothing. Everyone is talking there is a flashing light for the anti-theft system that would alert to a security system issue but there is no flashing light. The key was tested by a locksmith and he said it was fine. We are at a loss as to what it could be. An engineer has looked over it and we find no problems anywhere. Please help if you know what could be wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, first things first (cuz you don't say)

Does it turn over? (i.e., "crank")

Do you know if it is getting fuel? Check the fuses for the fuel pump, Check the fuel pump inertia switch ( see this video )

Well, first things first (cuz you don't say)

Does it turn over? (i.e., "crank")

You haven't answered my question (above)

Also, I note you said: The key was tested by a locksmith and he said it was fine.

I'm working on the key problem at the moment and I see this (from ebay) -

The first type of electronic key utilized what is known as SecuriLock, or the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS). This Ford flip key encoded a unique radio frequency into the head of the key that communicated with the vehicle's computer, adding an additional layer of security to the vehicle. If the radio frequency isn't matched by the computer, components like the fuel pump or the starter would remain inoperable.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Your-Guide-...Electronic-Ford-Key-/10000000178627304/g.html

Your key may not be recognized by the vehicle computer in which case it may not crank and/or may not be getting fuel.

You haven't answered my question (above)

Also, I note you said: The key was tested by a locksmith and he said it was fine.

I'm working on the key problem at the moment and I see this (from ebay) -

The first type of electronic key utilized what is known as SecuriLock, or the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS). This Ford flip key encoded a unique radio frequency into the head of the key that communicated with the vehicle's computer, adding an additional layer of security to the vehicle. If the radio frequency isn't matched by the computer, components like the fuel pump or the starter would remain inoperable.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Your-Guide-...Electronic-Ford-Key-/10000000178627304/g.html

Your key may not be recognized by the vehicle computer in which case it may not crank and/or may not be getting fuel.
Agreed that we need to know if it's a crank/no start, or a no crank situation. That said, the OP indicated that there is no flashing anti-theft light. Without that, this does not appear to be a PATS related issue.

.... That said, the OP indicated that there is no flashing anti-theft light. Without that, this does not appear to be a PATS related issue.

I also noted that comment by the OP but I'm not sure what it means. My 2002 Ex has the flashing anti-theft light that flashes all the time when it's not running. You say it doesn't appear to be a PATS related issue so I guess that means it wouldn't be a key-related issue as per my key-related comment?

I'm asking because I don't know one way or the other.

BTW, I called my local dealer and the cost of having them program a 2nd key for me would be $100. That price includes the price of the blank key ($29.95) and the programming & cutting it.

I'm thinking I'll have them do it if I can't get it done cheaper -- like at a reliable locksmith.

I don't want to fool around with Forscan. It sounds a bit too technical for me.

Do you find it interesting when someone asks a question, gets a lot of responses, and doesn't come back to the thread?

I also noted that comment by the OP but I'm not sure what it means. My 2002 Ex has the flashing anti-theft light that flashes all the time when it's not running. You say it doesn't appear to be a PATS related issue so I guess that means it wouldn't be a key-related issue as per my key-related comment?

I'm asking because I don't know one way or the other.

BTW, I called my local dealer and the cost of having them program a 2nd key for me would be $100. That price includes the price of the blank key ($29.95) and the programming & cutting it.

I'm thinking I'll have them do it if I can't get it done cheaper -- like at a reliable locksmith.

I don't want to fool around with Forscan. It sounds a bit too technical for me.
$100 for a dealer key isn't bad if you don't feel like working with Forscan. If you do, you can grab the PATS key on eBay for $10-15, then spend $2-4 having it cut locally. An appropriate OBD2 interface for Forscan is $10-30 depending on type and vendor. It's not complicated, but there are several steps to it. Here's a writeup I threw together after going through the process:
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173705

As to the flashing anti-theft light, we're describing two different scenarios. The light normally pulses on every few seconds while the key is out to let you know the system is active. The flashing error is a constant rapid flash while the key is in indicating a problem.

^ Ditto. If in doubt, READ the owners manual. (Pages131-132)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/02expog6e.pdf
THEFT INDICATOR
The theft indicator is the flashing red indicator located on top of the instrument panel.

• When the ignition is in the OFF position, the indicator will flash once every 2 seconds to indicate the SecuriLocky system is functioning as a theft deterrent.

• When the ignition is in the ON position, the indicator will glow for 3 seconds to indicate normal system functionality.

If a problem occurs with the SecuriLocky system, the indicator will flash rapidly or glow steadily when the ignition is in the ON position. If this occurs, the vehicle should be taken to an authorized dealer for service

Do you find it interesting when someone asks a question, gets a lot of responses, and doesn't come back to the thread?

I hate when that happens!

I come on here for information only (tho' it often seems to annoy other participants).

I guess I sometimes ask too many questions. But I do hate it when someone asks for help and then never reports back or answers a rather simple question.

People are funny ....

....As to the flashing anti-theft light, we're describing two different scenarios. The light normally pulses on every few seconds while the key is out to let you know the system is active. The flashing error is a constant rapid flash while the key is in indicating a problem.

So may I ask what you think of the OP's comment about having no flashing light or constant rapid flash?

He says "there is no flashing light."

I took it to mean that you thought perhaps my prior comment about it possibly being a PATS key problem wasn't correct.

Is that what you were saying?

You likely know more than I about PATS keys / alarm system issues, so I'm wondering what you thought about his comment in that regard. I know very little about the alarm system and the OP still hasn't advised whether or not it turns over.

As to my key issue, I still have to call some local locksmiths to see if they can cut and program an ebay key cheaper than the dealer can. I also reached out to another dealer for a price but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

I don't like having just 1 key so I'd like to get 2 programmed keys and use them to make at least a 3rd key, which I would probably buy on ebay, tho' I'm still not sure whether I need a 40 bit key or an 80 bit key (or whether either will work?).

Back