Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 124 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
It's not a recall, but an optional customer service program under Ford ID 17N03.

It appears to extend the TSB that was already available to owners who were in warranty to those now outside their 3/36 coverage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you see all that TSB17-0044 entails, I would hate to subject my Explorer to having the whole back end ripped off if it is really not necessary. I am not experiencing any problems that I can tell.
But getting the HVAC computer reprogram that is part of TSB17-0044 is probably not a bad idea.
When it comes to a TSB is it all or nothing? Could I just ask for the HVAC reprogram for free under the TSB and not have the rest of it done?

When you see all that TSB17-0044 entails, I would hate to subject my Explorer to having the whole back end ripped off if it is really not necessary. I am not experiencing any problems that I can tell.
But getting the HVAC computer reprogram that is part of TSB17-0044 is probably not a bad idea.
When it comes to a TSB is it all or nothing? Could I just ask for the HVAC reprogram for free under the TSB and not have the rest of it done?

You need to state that you have a problem before you're entitled to the reprogramming at company cost. I'm not sure if the dealer would apply the update even at your cost without such an issue stated.

The updated calibration is nothing to lose sleep over. From all I've kept reading, all it does is introduce more fresh air during hard accelerations.

You need to state that you have a problem before you're entitled to the reprogramming at company cost. I'm not sure if the dealer would apply the update even at your cost without such an issue stated.

The updated calibration is nothing to lose sleep over. From all I've kept reading, all it does is introduce more fresh air during hard accelerations.
OK thanks for that.

Is there a complete list of what's all done in this recall(just kidding)TSB? If this has been posted sorry, just point me in that direction.

I also do not have this problem, and believe me I've tried over the years. Saw were it was posted about the back end being ripped apart. I will definitely wait until next year when dealership gets this TSB down pat and if this really fixes the problem for other vehicles. Thanks.

Is there a complete list of what's all done in this recall(just kidding)TSB? If this has been posted sorry, just point me in that direction.

I also do not have this problem, and believe me I've tried over the years. Saw were it was posted about the back end being ripped apart. I will definitely wait until next year when dealership gets this TSB down pat and if this really fixes the problem for other vehicles. Thanks.
Just google TSB 17-0044 and you can see the step by step instructions the dealership will go through.

Got my 2017 this weekend, yep, exhaust issue still there. Actually pointed it out to them during the test drive. Have an appt with them today to discuss.

Got my 2017 this weekend, yep, exhaust issue still there. Actually pointed it out to them during the test drive. Have an appt with them today to discuss.
Congrats on the new Explorer. Don't forget to update your profile. Sorry to hear about the 'smell'. Hope they can get it fixed, if they have all the required parts.

Peter

I had the second and final part of TSB 174-0044 done that included the downturned exhaust tips, and I still have the exhaust odor in my 2017 Limited. The odor is less and goes away faster than before, but I have exhaust odor inside the vehicle. This is the exact same problem that was on my 2015 Limited that Ford fixed and replaced with the 2017.

My forecast is that in the year 2185, the news headline will be: Study confirms that diet and exercise reduces weight, and Ford releases TSB 25844-5588425 to repair exhaust odor in Explorers!

I'm going in two weeks to have the first part of the TSB (bumper seal) done. My expectations are low. My rep said he believes this was fixed in the 2018 models. Being that I just purchased my 2017 this weekend, is there any use in pushing for a 2018 given the one they sold me has this issue?

I'm going in two weeks to have the first part of the TSB (bumper seal) done. My expectations are low. My rep said he believes this was fixed in the 2018 models. Being that I just purchased my 2017 this weekend, is there any use in pushing for a 2018 given the one they sold me has this issue?
You will likely take a substantial loss if you do since the 2017 is now considered a used or previously owned vehicle. Also, can the dealer guaranty that the 2018 which won't be out until late November at the earliest, won't have the same issue?

Peter

Who is ready to do a little simple experiment ? I need someone who's facing this issue with a lot of smell when hard acceleration.

All you need a duct tape and a silicon filler black if possible. Because i've done something and there is a good result but i want to make sure before posting it here.

If any one want to do it please send me a private message.

If it didn't work i will post it anyway maybe it will work for others.

Thought I would share this.

In the Ford Pass App, I have an Important Notice tthat points out Field Service Action Number 17N03 titled Carbon Monoxide Concerns which goes on to the following explanation:

"A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require you to return your vehicle to the dealer for service..."

It goes on to say "your vehicle may or may not be affected, etc..."

There is another paragraph of mostly company boiler plate.

It's bad design on the App's part.

In OASIS, Field Service Actions can include both recalls and customer service programs, the latter of which 17N03 identifies with. So it may talk about recalls, but that program is /not/ a recall.

It's bad design on the App's part.

In OASIS, Field Service Actions can include both recalls and customer service programs, the latter of which 17N03 identifies with. So it may talk about recalls, but that program is /not/ a recall.

Understood. I didn't really believe this is an active recall (yet anyway) as I haven't read anything anywhere stating that.

And yes, apparently you do drive a lot! LOL

32,000 as of yesterday. :)

I cannot find the 17N03 customer service program document. Does any one have a copy or link? My dealer said he ordered more parts to fix the exhaust odor in the cabin based on what is in 17N03.

I cannot find the 17N03 customer service program document. Does any one have a copy or link? My dealer said he ordered more parts to fix the exhaust odor in the cabin based on what is in 17N03.
From what I've been able to find is that 17N03 is the 'reference' number for the "service action".

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the TSB performed on my new 2017 Explorer Limited and the issue appears to be resolved. Ran it wide open leaving the Ford parking lot. My work order says the following:

"CUST STATES NOTICES EXHAUSE FUMES INSIDE VEHICLE ON HARD ACCELERATIONS, VERIFIED CONCERN, PERFORMED RECALL 17NO3B, INSPECTED AND INSTALLED MASTIS PATCHES AND REPROGRAMMED HVAC, VERIFIED REPAIR, TESTED OK"

I'll continue to monitor, but hopefully this fixed it.

Back