2017 Explorer Liftgate "Explorer" Chrome Trim Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oakley1232

Reaction score
City, State
Clovis, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
2017 Explorer Liftgate "Explorer" Chrome Trim Removal

I have a black Explorer and do not like a lot of chrome so I wanted to vinyl wrap the rear end liftgate "Explorer" chrome trim to black. You'll need enough black vinyl vehicle wrap for this specific trim piece, hair dryer/heat gun, socket wrench, socket extension, size 10 socket,razor blade, and flathead screwdriver/panel trim removal tools.

1) Clean surface of the trim piece.

2) Remove the four bolts which are located directly under the "EXPLORER" near license plate lamps.

3) ****For both ends of piece*** Use flathead screwdriver/panel trim removal tool and lodge in between the chrome trim and main liftgate. Gently pry apart as the plastic clips will detach away from the main liftgate.

4) Remove the rear window washer fluid line and socket for the license plate lamps.

5) Apply wrap once it's fully covered and reattach everything just like when it was taken apart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Does the removal affect the rearview camera in any way?

Peter

Thanks..wish I could post pics..if you have Instagram or Facebook I could show you pic of finally product..but no it didn’t affect camera..plugged right back in!

Thanks..wish I could post pics..if you have Instagram or Facebook I could show you pic of finally product..but no it didn’t affect camera..plugged right back in!
Okay thanks. Just curious. You can post pictures directly from your device with an Elite membership or find a 3rd party hosting site to link to.

Peter

Rumzd

Let me know if this image works

https://imgur.com/gallery/Rumzd

I have a black Explorer and do not like a lot of chrome so I wanted to vinyl wrap the rear end liftgate "Explorer" chrome trim to black. You'll need enough black vinyl vehicle wrap for this specific trim piece, hair dryer/heat gun, socket wrench, socket extension, size 10 socket,razor blade, and flathead screwdriver/panel trim removal tools.

2) Remove the four bolts which are located directly under the "EXPLORER" near license plate lamps.

3) ****For both ends of piece*** Use flathead screwdriver/panel trim removal tool and lodge in between the chrome trim and main liftgate. Gently pry apart as the plastic clips will detach away from the main liftgate.

4) Remove the rear window washer fluid line and socket for the license plate lamps.

5) Apply wrap once it's fully covered and reattach everything just like when it was taken apart.

I'm planning to wrap mine too. Thanks for the idea but I will probably seek some professional help from Gatorwraps.

Here's the part number for the trim FB5Z-13B482-CA (2016 - up) If you search ebay and elsewhere you might find one from a Sport that's already black.

2015- down is EB5Z-13B482-BB

Thanks so much for this. Too easy and I would’ve made it more difficult then it really was.

Thanks so much for this. Too easy and I would’ve made it more difficult then it really was.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I don't like resurrecting an old post but in this case I think it makes sense.

I want to do the same thing. What brand of wrap did you use? Does it even matter? I'm concerned that the wrap will fade over time (3 years since i'm in a lease).

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I don't like resurrecting an old post but in this case I think it makes sense.

I want to do the same thing. What brand of wrap did you use? Does it even matter? I'm concerned that the wrap will fade over time (3 years since i'm in a lease).
Probably too late on reply but it’s still holding up strong and looks the same as once I put it on.

Looks great sir, what did you end up doing to the chrome door handles?
Our handles were already black...it was just the liftgate and lower door trims that were chrome

Probably too late on reply but it’s still holding up strong and looks the same as once I put it on.
FYI, he was last seen here 2 years ago.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you Dennis for posting that video. It will be very helpful for some members. BTW, the member you quoted was last seen here Aug. 3, 2020.

Peter

Back