How To: Pull Trouble Codes on a 1st Gen Explorer (paperclip method) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Pull Trouble Codes on a 1st Gen Explorer (paperclip method)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a code 117 a week or so back, so I swapped the sensor with one from my parts truck.

No change. CEL is still on.

(O,M)
ECT sensor is/was low or grounded - ECT

What does ECT is/was grounded mean?

I am out of town for a week, and I would like to know how to fix this.

The wires to the sensor look like some insulation is missing, could this be the cause? Maybe the wires are getting in contact with each other?

To do the engine run test all i do is put the paper clip in and start it right away correct? ? Or do i need to wait till all the key on codes are shown??

To do the engine run test all i do is put the paper clip in and start it right away correct? ? Or do i need to wait till all the key on codes are shown??
You can start it right away once the paperclip is in.

You can start it right away once the paperclip is in.
Thats what i thought..mine absolutely wont start with the clip in...

It goes in same spot as key on,engine off test correct

Thats what i thought..mine absolutely wont start with the clip in...

It goes in same spot as key on,engine off test correct
Correct, nothing changes. The computer detects ground on the output of the test wire and enters test mode. In this case, you're grounding through the check engine light which illuminates with pulses from the test output. Make sure you have the right pins in the right connector, but I doubt you screwed that up.

Correct, nothing changes. The computer detects ground on the output of the test wire and enters test mode. In this case, you're grounding through the check engine light which illuminates with pulses from the test output. Make sure you have the right pins in the right connector, but I doubt you screwed that up.
Yea im getting the regular codes fine,it just wont start..i probably got other issues keeping it from starting im guessing but as soon as i pull the clip it will start right up

Yea im getting the regular codes fine,it just wont start..i probably got other issues keeping it from starting im guessing but as soon as i pull the clip it will start right up
It doesn't crank or won't fire? If it's just not cranking then I'd cheat and jump the starter solenoid. If the computer is outputting KOEO codes, jumping the solenoid should start and run the engine since the computer is alive and just waiting for a crank signal.

It doesn't crank or won't fire? If it's just not cranking then I'd cheat and jump the starter solenoid. If the computer is outputting KOEO codes, jumping the solenoid should start and run the engine since the computer is alive and just waiting for a crank signal.
Its cranking

Its cranking
What are you missing then? You should still get the fuel pump prime in the KOEO test, make sure you have that. If so, check for spark. I've never seen this issue reported anywhere so it does sound like you have some kind of short.

What are you missing then? You should still get the fuel pump prime in the KOEO test, make sure you have that. If so, check for spark. I've never seen this issue reported anywhere so it does sound like you have some kind of short.
Idk honestly. .should mention im doing this on my SCT chipped ranger..

I read this and all the embedded links, but still struggling to figure out what the hell is wrong with it. I uploaded the full test video to you tube

Back