Interior Door panel issue / separation | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Door panel issue / separation

top near the window
Thanks. There was an existing thread on that issue I found using the handy 'Search' feature at the top right of the page. Your thread has been moved here.
There isn't much that hasn't already been discussed.:)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. So I’m having the lifting up near the window issue. 2014 Sport. And this also happens with interceptors. Who’s the Ford rep on here I can escalate this to and plead my case? 47000 miles and a ESP. $50k car shouldn’t happen like this

Ok. So I’m having the lifting up near the window issue. 2014 Sport. And this also happens with interceptors. Who’s the Ford rep on here I can escalate this to and plead my case? 47000 miles and a ESP. $50k car shouldn’t happen like this
There is no longer a Ford rep on this Forum. They departed on Jan. 31st. The ESP does not cover this sort of issue. It is shown in the items NOT covered.
I doubt that you will get anywhere with Ford as several others have tried that avenue as well without success. Here is the info that they had on their posts.
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
Good luck.

Peter

Scrolling through this thread and checking the profiles in the margin, it seems the majority are in the years 2014 and 2015 with the following trims, XLT, Limited and Sport.

Peter
I guess I should have clarified further. I'm wondering how many different door panels there are and whether the failure points are the same for all of them or vary by trim level. I see there is an issue with the arm rest and I believe I saw there is also an issue with the door panel separating along the window. Are those the only issues or are there others?

I guess I should have clarified further. I'm wondering how many different door panels there are and whether the failure points are the same for all of them or vary by trim level. I see there is an issue with the arm rest and I believe I saw there is also an issue with the door panel separating along the window. Are those the only issues or are there others?
I believe those are the most common ones. I think there was a post about the spots on the panel and perhaps one on the armrest pulling away but sometimes without pictures of the issue it is difficult to tell if the arm rest pulling away is the same as the separation issue. I just tried the two parts sites I use, autonation and Levittown to check part numbers but both sites appear to be down at the moment. I find them more helpful than Fordparts. I would suspect that the actual panels are the same.

Peter

- - -

Hi Matt,

I took mine to an auto upholsterer who spray glued it down. Had to take the door trim apart... cost me 60.00 and did a fantastic job.

Hampri
Well now I can be added to the list of frustrated 2014 Ford Explorer XLT Black door panels lifting up on top edge away from window! Dealer said they have been replacing LOTS of these and one panel (drivers side) going to set me back $250 (with family employee discount!) eeeekkkk!!!

That's a bargain! I was told the part alone would be over $600, then labor on top of that. NO help from Ford. Meanwhile, they are issuing recall after recall for other problems. Should've gone with the Pilot...:(

The door panel part should be around $250. That’s what I was quoted.

That's a bargain! I was told the part alone would be over $600, then labor on top of that. NO help from Ford. Meanwhile, they are issuing recall after recall for other problems. Should've gone with the Pilot...:(

Last recall we have listed in the forum was in December 2016 affecting 1,163 vehicles. There was also one in April affecting 20,700 Canadian Explorers mainly out west. Recalls are only issued for 'Safety' related issues.
Door panels; https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...engine/body-cat/interior-trim-front-door-scat

Peter

We had this same problem (2015 Sport). Talked with the dealer and they said that have seen "many" of them with the same problem. Funny thing is that I went and checked our cruisers at work, and they all (2014-2015's) had the exact door panel separation! Dealer stated they checked with Ford and it would not be covered. They recommend calling Ford customer service which was a nightmare, talking with a rep in, what appeared to be, India. Ford responded with an email in two days saying that it would not be covered, sorry (even with the purchased Ford extended warranty). When it was at the dealer for ANOTHER problem, they said they checked with Ford again, and were told they would give a $500 credit towards a $1500.00 door panel replacement.

Fix was: Take the vehicle to a good auto body shop. They used an automotive adhesive (which apparently Ford doesn't have) and repaired the separation. It has been okay for a while now.

Hello, new member here and need everyone's opinion on an issue I'm having.

I have 2014 Explorer Limited that I purchased in 2015, the vehicle is a few months short of 2 years old, 40k miles, and a extended warranty.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that the top part of the door panel, right were the glass and top of the panel meet is separating. Both the drivers and passenger side. Think of when you have the window rolled all the way down, right were you would rest your arm.

So I take the vehicle in to be looked at and hopefully get a warranty fix and unfortunately I'm told its out of warranty. The cost to fix would be a few hundred dollars.

I made a call into corporate to open a claim and to see if the dealer will fix as a warranty issue. With this vehicle still under 2 yrs. and just over the 36k miles the door panels shouldn't be swelling and separating. After opening the claim and talking to the dealer they would give me a "discount" and would get back to me. No corporate help and left to the dealer to make decision.

Am I asking too much for a car this new to be repaired as what seems to be a defect?

The door panel part should be around $250. That’s what I was quoted.
Door panel prices seem to be all over the place.

Peter's link above has 14 black panels for as low as ~$150, but if you look up a 16 base, they are ~$700 each and a 16 Limited are ~$900 each. Those prices are pretty heavily discounted from list (looks like around 30% or more).

Door panel prices seem to be all over the place.

Peter's link above has 14 black panels for as low as ~$150, but if you look up a 16 base, they are ~$700 each and a 16 Limited are ~$900 each. Those prices are pretty heavily discounted from list (looks like around 30% or more).

I think the price from the dealer was $850 for the panel and $500 labor, plus tax? Its a 2015 Sport.

I think the price from the dealer was $850 for the panel and $500 labor, plus tax? Its a 2015 Sport.
According to prices at Autonation White Bear Lake, 2015 Sport door panels are <$200 each in black and <$500 in stone. It wouldn't surprise me if your dealer made up the cost of $1,500 (full list for parts and labor) and just pretended that Ford was offering a $500 credit (they just reduced margin on their end).

Hopefully the 2016/7 door panels in black get down below $200 each within the next few years for those that may need to replace them out of warranty.

Out of curiosity, what are those that are out of warranty paying to have their broken door panels repaired at a local trim shop?

According to prices at Autonation White Bear Lake, 2015 Sport door panels are <$200 each in black and <$500 in stone. It wouldn't surprise me if your dealer made up the cost of $1,500 (full list for parts and labor) and just pretended that Ford was offering a $500 credit (they just reduced margin on their end).

Hopefully the 2016/7 door panels in black get down below $200 each within the next few years for those that may need to replace them out of warranty.

Out of curiosity, what are those that are out of warranty paying to have their broken door panels repaired at a local trim shop?

I will be doing this!

Ford Explorer 2014 Sport - purchased new in June 2014 - by July 2017, passenger side door panel began lifting at window. Just out of warranty, was informed by Ford Dealership the entire door panel must be replaced - glue would not work. It will cost me $800 - it is clearly a defect - there is no wear and tear. Never had a vehicle do this - top of the line Ford at 3 years old. Ford opened a ticket and I've heard nothing. It looks horrible - very shoddy. Other than that the car is great - very disappointed in Ford. They need to fix this on their dime.

........ They need to fix this on their dime.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Don't hold your breath. Won't happen although I agree it is a defect.

Peter

Hey guys so since we purchased my Wife's 15 Explorer in March its been a pretty good car . I had to have a gasket between the transmission and the engine replaced when we first got it. Thank god for warranties but its been a good and comfy ride and more than enough room for two kids and all the strollers and children equipment.

Last week I needed to have the car go in to the dealer because the steering rack needed replaced because of squealing, and the evap purge valve was bad causing a CEL.

While it was there I also asked them to look at my door panel because it was peeling up and there is no way in hell that that should be happening on a three year old car. When I picked up my Explorer it was a CPO and got a great Ford extended warranty. But just so you guys know interior panels are not covered by any extended warranty.

My dealership has never really given me problem and has always taken care of me with service issues. But I was disappointed when they told me that the most they could do is repair the door panel going half and half with me paying $70 for them to have a 3rd party company. I even asked couldn't you just take it off another used car on the lot that still had a warranty ( i searched the lot prior) got a big no to that.

I'm sorry i'm not paying $70 for a door panel repair, when I know for a fact going on ford parts website i can get the door around $250. But my service advisor said the door panel is over $800 so i just gave up and contemplated on that repair.

So after after speaking with my Wife and family I decided to give Ford customer service a call yesterday. I flat out said I was frustrated that a 3 year old car is having issues with a panel that no one touches are pulls on.

After speaking to the customer service reps they said they need 24 hours for resolution to decide so i will be reporting back soon with whats going to happen. But right now i'm a little annoyed over something you would never think would go bad and if it did would be covered in my opinion.

Any one else out there have this problem?

So here are some pictures of the offending issue.

23316726_10209647830340408_6028035080441103413_n.jpg

23244403_10209647830380409_3364002937345793234_n.jpg
23319159_10209647829580389_7213518588558789153_n.jpg
23319450_10209647829620390_7047366613883216414_n.jpg
23231392_10209647829540388_7577181683637322066_n.jpg
23316725_10209647830300407_2425054346862838025_n.jpg

The Ford ESP does not cover "trim" issues. If you have the CPO warranty you are also out of luck. The following is from that warranty of things NOT covered.

22) E xterior Seal & Trim Items – Service adjustments, fixed (non-moving) body parts,
bumpers, door handles, glass, moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal,
structural underbody framework, sideview mirrors (glass and housing), water leaks,
wind noise, weatherstrips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers and ornaments,
convertible top, fabric, liners, zippers and fasteners.
23) I nterior Trim Items – Buttons, carpets, dash pad, door and window handles, knobs,
rearview mirror (glass and housing), trim and upholstery.

There was a post the other day where someone checked to see what outstanding service actions were listed on their vehicle and one of them had something to do with the door panel. I'll see if I can find it.
edit: no luck yet buy I thought it was 17N04. Try running your VIN here and see what if anything comes up. Find outstanding FSA's, service schedules and vehicle conversions.

Peter

Okay so after I posted this I got a call from Ford about 20 minutes later. To show good faith from customer service they will fix the door panel. They said the cost will be a $100 deductible through customer service. I proceeded to ask if i had to pay this because the car was just in last week for warranty work. Sadly I was told yes because the work is paid from customer service and not extended warranty.

I asked if it was going to be repaired or replaced because the dealer offered me 70 to repair. Customer support confirmed to me that this will be a full replace of the panel for $100 which is a steal, compared to the $800 the dealer says it costs. I have 30 days to decide if i want to do it or not. Honestly i'm pretty sure I will but it sucks spending $100 more bucks.

I'm pleasantly surprised and all i have to do is schedule service with my dealer and Ford Customer service will call me next week to follow up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Run your VIN anyway as I suggested. Perhaps there is a newly released Field Service Action on it.

Back