• Register Today It's free!

Replace water pump pulley?

Djanvk

Reaction score
City, State
Freeport, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
My 2004 engine is squeaking horribly more when accelerator is pushed. I’ve changed the belt and no change but I’ve narrowed it down to the water pump pulley area. So is it possible to change the water pump pulley and would that change the bearing also?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do I know? Went to AutoZone and got a belt.

i think the tensioner pulley tend to make a noise than the water pump, I don't think you can replace the pulley by itself you need a new water pump.
did you try removing the belt and check the individual pulleys? they should not turn freely, if they free-wheel then it needs to be replaced.

Continental belt used to be the good year gator belt. I like em and always use the gator belt now

Thanks for the suggestions I'm going to try them soon.

4060855_VIEW%2010__ra_p.jpg

4.0 CONTINENTAL ELITE 4060855
4.6 CONTINENTAL ELITE 4061010

If it's just the belt squeaking spray a little WD40 on the belt while the engine is running. WD40 is NOT a lubricant and won't make the belt slip. It will clean glaze off the belt and pulleys.

I would check to see if the idler or tensioner pulley bearings are bad.

If it's just the belt squeaking spray a little WD40 on the belt while the engine is running. WD40 is NOT a lubricant and won't make the belt slip. It will clean glaze off the belt and pulleys.

or use actual "Belt Dressing"...

Back