Steel Wheel Hubcap Interchangeable? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steel Wheel Hubcap Interchangeable?

Anyone have a part number for the black caps? I like the look.

BlackCapsPIU.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently "factory" with this agency. Was an OEM
option with their fleet order, which was HUGE.

I believe they are mistaken but I will confirm with sources tomorrow. When I was on the PAB they only made chrome.

LT

I confirmed with my friends at CAP those PIU center caps only come chrome, CAP won't paint them. Likely the Fleet Guy got the dealership to do it for them and as the story got passed down it eventually got twisted into "Ford did it for us from the factory"

I kinda like it, I just put my winters on, I may paint mine now

IF I were to paint my center caps I'd scuff them up first for more "tooth." Then I'd use VHT epoxy paint. Not the high temp stuff, the regular epoxy black which I used to paint over the rear chrome trim piece on my Exp. Tough paint.

IF you want the benefits of a steel rim but want to avoid the "cop look" you may want to look at the Ford wheel covers made specifically for the PIU steelies. Ford supplies them as an option for undercover PIUs, it's a Ford part. I have a set that came with my steelies that I may swap out later.
Where can I find the black Ford wheel covers for the PIU steelies?

The only black part for the PIU steelies is the black steel wheels themselves. The only difference is what sits on top of the steel wheels to cover the lug nuts. Your options are either the gray plastic full size wheel cover/hubcaps, or the small silver metallic center caps (which will provide the steelies look).

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe the member above has answered your question.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I believe the member above has answered your question.

Peter
Thanks to both of you. I plan on painting the small silver metallic center caps with black epoxy. I believe I got this idea from elsewhere in the forum.

Back