New Wheels for old Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Wheels for old Sport

I would like to upgrade my wheels and tires on my 2002 Explorer Sport. I understand the max tire size is 265/75/16 on the standard rim. I would like to go for a more modern look with a lower profile tire and larger rim. As long as I stay close to the max tire parameters, I'm looking for options.

I want to fill up the wheel well a little but not get silly thin on the tires. If I use a mustang rim of 8.5 wide, would 255/55/18 for the front and 285/60/18 for the rear? I'm going for as wide a tire as I can use on the rear.

thoughts on this what would the offset be for the rims? 2002 Sports seem to have a lot of extra room in the rear wheel well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the actual size varies from one type of tire to another. its best to get the recommended rim size from the manufacturer, or distributor.
I usually use TireRack.com pick your tire then check the specs chart for full details.

I am guessing that you have a 2WD Sport since differences in tire sizes will make it not happy...

I am guessing that you have a 2WD Sport since differences in tire sizes will make it not happy...

not to mention the hub size is different from a 2wd and a 4wd

Why? Do you know this? Have you tried this?

Bore is 70.6mm and 2015 mustang is 70.5mm so physical rim fit probably won't be a problem

Why? Do you know this? Have you tried this?

The AWD system of the 4WD, for some members with very slight tire diameter differences, have caused noises, clunking, vibrations...

The AWD system of the 4WD, for some members with very slight tire diameter differences, have caused noises, clunking, vibrations...

you did read the part where I have a 2002 Explorer Sport. It's 2WD. I don't see a problem with the staggered tire concept.

I didn't see any mention of 2WD...

you did read the part where I have a 2002 Explorer Sport. It's 2WD. I don't see a problem with the staggered tire concept.

Either way 2wd or 4wd as long as the tire diameter is the same front to rear you'll be fine. I'm running 255/45ZR18 in the front and 285/40ZR18 in the rear on 18x9 front and 18x10 rear

You can easily find wheels on tirerack by placing the year/model of you rig on their search box.

2002 sports came in 4wd as well. Hence the comment about it not being happy. Like others have suggested I’d use a site that lets you put in your make and model, and shows available wheels. Some will even simulate them onto your model.

ok I got some 18x8 44 offset explorer ford rims. Now my question is tires.

the stock tire for my 2002 ford explorer 2 door 2wd is 235/70/16

the max tire size is 265/75/16 so my question is as long as I stay inside of those parameters, I should be fine
I would like to run 265/60/18 I think given the numbers this is doable. Anyone have any useful information?
Dan

Which tire did you get?

Well after getting the rims and measuring and remeasuring, I've made a serious miscalculation. The rims are 12 offset and a 63.4mm bore.

I haven't decided on the tire yet bet going by the tire fitment calculator the 265/60/18 should fit

I'm going to post before and after pics when I get this project completed

Ok so here's my solution for the rim problem. I found rims for a 2014 explorer off craigslist for $60 set. They were 44mm offset. Unfortunately, my 2002 sport has 12mm offset. To make matters worse the center bore for 2014 is 63.4mm and for 2002 is 70.6 Having never liked how narrow the sport sits I went for some hub-centric spacers. Finding the right bore was a problem.

The problem was the difference in offset, about 32mm or 1.25 inches. On the back I went for a full 2 inch spacer to sit the tire out a little farther. So I bored out the back of the spacer to 70.6mm and turned the collar to 63.4mm.

The tires are Toyo Proxes T1 Sport 255/60/18 and fit with plenty of room to spare

0i8kyFO.jpg

hPEKiaN.jpg

bS9mNcq.jpg

CrZCWpj.jpg

not bad.

The rims do look good and make for a great upgrade rim and truck stance. Quick question about the brake lights in one of the pictures. Is that the photo light reflecting making it brighter and looking different or some mod in the tail light?

Reflection more then likely.

pic taken different day and time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so here's my solution for the rim problem. I found rims for a 2014 explorer off craigslist for $60 set. They were 44mm offset. Unfortunately, my 2002 sport has 12mm offset. To make matters worse the center bore for 2014 is 63.4mm and for 2002 is 70.6 Having never liked how narrow the sport sits I went for some hub-centric spacers. Finding the right bore was a problem.

The problem was the difference in offset, about 32mm or 1.25 inches. On the back I went for a full 2 inch spacer to sit the tire out a little farther. So I bored out the back of the spacer to 70.6mm and turned the collar to 63.4mm.

The tires are Toyo Proxes T1 Sport 255/60/18 and fit with plenty of room to spare

View attachment 319810

View attachment 319811

View attachment 319812

View attachment 319813
WOO I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS THREAD SO LONG! YESSSSSS

Back