RAP module replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RAP module replacement

Best thing to do would be to look at the wiring diagrams (See post #35 above for source) and see how the RAP module interacts with the power door locks. IF you're lucky, you may find that the wiring and connector is already on the harness (forward of the jack in compartment on driver's side of cargo compartment) and all you have to do is plug in a RAP module. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes sir, I do have power door locks, and yes they all work properly.
I do not however, see the RAP module in the left rear fender.

So, I take it that means my explorer didn't come with keyless entry? If that's the case, what will it take for me to add? And what all will I need besides a RAP module?

Thanks again for any help!

Hey. I know its been about 6 months. But if you are still wanting the keyless remote entry, and you have no RAP, I would say that your best bet is one of the aftermarket, universal, remote systems. They run about $100. You can normally get them installed at a car stereo shop for around $150-200.
I had one installed about ten years ago, it was much more expensive then, but they were also about $300 a piece back then on eBay.

But if you want to install one yourself, I would say just get one from eBay. They also sell the ones that have the remote start with it too for a little extra cash.

Good Luck.

I have a question for you. I have a 1996 Explorer that recently got a new alternator.
The keyless entry (both keypad on the door and the remote) worked along side with my anti theft system. Since I got a new alternator these three things have stopped working.

I still have power locks from the inside controls on the door. Any idea why this might be happening?
I contacted the mechanic who replaced the alternator but haven't heard from him. I also searched through my manual on how to possibly reset these things but have found nothing. Thanks for your help !

First thing to check is the fuse for the Remote Access Personality (RAP) module; 20A fuse #12 in the power distribution box under the hood. The RAP module is the brains of the anti-theft system and receives the signal from the keypad and remote. Good luck.

Not sure if the 96 has the same fuses as the 95, but if it does, there are two fuses. One in the panel behind the door, and one under the hood. Should be in the fuse section of your manual.

Let us know if the fuses are good, and we can go to the next step.

Is there anyway to add a keyless entry remote system to my 99 XLS? I don't have a RAP module and am not sure If it may go through something else or not.

Is there anyway to add a keyless entry remote system to my 99 XLS? I don't have a RAP module and am not sure If it may go through something else or not.
Doesn't it just use a harness to plug into the GEM? If so I don't see why not, you'd want to check to see if you have the wiring harness going back to where it's mounted and if you don't have that then your best bet is scavenging it all at a junkyard. Seems like a lot of work for a now near 20 y/o vehicle.

Here's a random post I found, there are probably others too...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-does-the-gem-module-control.193667/

Doesn't it just use a harness to plug into the GEM? If so I don't see why not, you'd want to check to see if you have the wiring harness going back to where it's mounted and if you don't have that then your best bet is scavenging it all at a junkyard. Seems like a lot of work for a now near 20 y/o vehicle.

Here's a random post I found, there are probably others too...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-does-the-gem-module-control.193667/
I see that there is a wiring harness next to the bracket where the RAP should be but I do not see a connector to plug into the harness for the module. That may not make sense but I will look further and last resort is to look at a junk yard.

^ There are some pics and info in this topic:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-you-need-to-know-about-keyless-entry.195398/

1-jpg.jpg

Hey I have a question I would post a new thread but I couldn't for the life ignore me find out how to do it. I have a 1993 Explorer xlt and I was told by the last owner that it had keyless entry that worked and he broke the remote. So I bought a new one, I watched videos where you turn the key multiple times on and off on accessories and that makes it engage. But from what I've read that doesn't work on first gens. So where do I look to find the keyless entry module? I've looked under the dash and removed trim and don't believe I saw it. And if I find it and have it, how do I engage the remote on a first gen? Thanks

Hey I have a question I would post a new thread but I couldn't for the life ignore me find out how to do it. I have a 1993 Explorer xlt and I was told by the last owner that it had keyless entry that worked and he broke the remote. So I bought a new one, I watched videos where you turn the key multiple times on and off on accessories and that makes it engage. But from what I've read that doesn't work on first gens. So where do I look to find the keyless entry module? I've looked under the dash and removed trim and don't believe I saw it. And if I find it and have it, how do I engage the remote on a first gen? Thanks
The best course would have been to post this in the 1st generation forum. Apparently there is a two pin connector in the left rear quarter panel behind the interior trim panel that you short while the key is in the accessory position, then press the fob button. More info here:
Keyless Entry FOB

First thing to check is the fuse for the Remote Access Personality (RAP) module; 20A fuse #12 in the power distribution box under the hood. The RAP module is the brains of the anti-theft system and receives the signal from the keypad and remote. Good luck.

I recently picked up a 98 Explorer xlt, it has the power locks, no keypad on the door, and no RAP module on the driver's side rear fenderwell...the main reason I got this thing so cheap, is the PATS system engaged, and won't start... if the Rap module is the brains for this, is therre another location it might be? I'm an ex-technician from years ago, but new to all this.... any direction can help!

Thanks,
Darin

I recently picked up a 98 Explorer xlt, it has the power locks, no keypad on the door, and no RAP module on the driver's side rear fenderwell...the main reason I got this thing so cheap, is the PATS system engaged, and won't start... if the Rap module is the brains for this, is therre another location it might be? I'm an ex-technician from years ago, but new to all this.... any direction can help!

Thanks,
Darin
AFAIK the RAP is not the brains for this. It handles the door keypad and remote fobs. Assuming you have the right keys with the chip in them, the most likely fault is probably a broken transceiver module in the steering column next to the lock cylinder, and that is not coded to a specific vehicle so a junkyard replacement would work, but do search the forum for PATS problems topics.

AFAIK the RAP is not the brains for this. It handles the door keypad and remote fobs. Assuming you have the right keys with the chip in them, the most likely fault is probably a broken transceiver module in the steering column next to the lock cylinder, and that is not coded to a specific vehicle so a junkyard replacement would work, but do search the forum for PATS problems topics.
I do have what I've been told are the original keys, but the guy I bought it from didn't get a remote when he bought it.... I did get one through fleabay, and have tried unsucessfully to program it to the system...

on the module,I was kinda thinking this as well, but was thrown off by the label saying "anti-theft" on the one I picked up from the junkyard.... being that there is no module in behind the rear panel, and no provision for wiring, I'm assuming that it wasn't set up for remote fobs?

side note, I did replace the halo ring yesterday, and the theft light no longer has epileptic seizures, but won't start.... I have my buddies programmer, and will try resetting the system again.... had this running before, but the system had gone back into lockout mode, thinking because of the ring...

wish me luck!
Darin

Back