Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front

I had the smell in mine, but my manifold was specifically checked due to the issues in the PIU. It was 100% fine. Regardless, after hitting the entire car with sealer, the problem is fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the smell in mine, but my manifold was specifically checked due to the issues in the PIU. It was 100% fine. Regardless, after hitting the entire car with sealer, the problem is fixed.

So this another confirmation to my theory. the cracked manifold filled the engine bay with exhaust smell that finds their way through the fresh intake to the cabin.

Keep in mind, I was confirming that my manifold was not cracked or flawed. The car was sealed up especially well in the back end, not the front.

Keep in mind, I was confirming that my manifold was not cracked or flawed. The car was sealed up especially well in the back end, not the front.

Thanks for clarifying the sealing. I was going to ask what you had done.

Also, was it just the standard Ford fix that you had done(the dealer repairs)? Or did you do more or other sealing?

Dealer performed the TSB at the time, but also did their own efforts of going at every possible source of a leak, TSB or not (this was before the latest revision, mind you, but there were revised parts available.) At the time the field service engineer was involved for that and a few other simultaneous issues. The back end of the car came apart a couple of times.

Sealing back of the car didn't make any difference for me after the dealer done the TSB.

Even i did extra sealing by my self on the back. nothing has changed until i started to seal the hood rubber and covered my fresh air intake.

at that time i realized this is it, this creepy issue is not from the back.

Understood, but your original comment was that my post had 'confirmed' your theory, when in reality it worked against it.

(I'm not knocking out your evidence as much as clarifying my experience, however.)

Understood, but your original comment was that my post had 'confirmed' your theory, when in reality it worked against it.

(I'm not knocking out your evidence as much as clarifying my experience, however.)

i still didn't confirm the cracked manifold, but i think it's the reason what causing the engine bay to be filled by exhaust.

what i can confirm 100% sure is sealing the rubber is worked for me.

Correct me if i was wrong, but you mentioned in your previous comment that you had a cracked manifold and after you fixed it the problem was gone ? based on this i said your comment confirmed my theory.

Regards.

No, I said that it was checked, but that it was 100%--as it was--it wasn't replaced.

No worries--I was more worried about my clarity than anything else. As I said, I didn't want to take away from your evidence nor conclusions--simply that I wasn't a helpful tale to that end.

So no one interested in this ?
I'm not really sure this is anything new. Any smell/odor/gas has a pathway into the vehicle through the fresh air vent. Any exhaust leak that allows gases to accumulate in the engine compartment/front of vehicle may find its way to the fresh air vent and inside the vehicle as the hood is not exactly sealed all the way around.

It doesn't necessarily have to be from a cracked manifold either. It could be due to a poor seal between 2 mating surfaces or a leak at a gasket.

Or perhaps no one else is having that exact same issue.

Its the exact same issue that a lot of Explorers have it “exhaust smell inside cabin during hard acceleration “
I meant exhaust coming in from the front, not the back. Many that have had the back sealed no longer have the issue.

I meant exhaust coming in from the front, not the back. Many that have had the back sealed no longer have the issue.

My local Dealer did the TSB and the issue didn’t solved, The dealer sealed so many places in the back. after one week I started notice the smell again. And also I’m following the main thread for this issue, many members has done the TSB and the issue didn’t get solved.

My local Dealer did the TSB and the issue didn’t solved, The dealer sealed so many places in the back. after one week I started notice the smell again. And also I’m following the main thread for this issue, many members has done the TSB and the issue didn’t get solved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True, but many also did. I've had the hood open while the engine was running and never smelled any exhaust but then I've also never had the 'exhaust' issue on my Explorers. I would think that if one was smelling exhaust in the engine compartment then there is something wrong there. Exhaust should only exit via the tail pipes.

Back