• Register Today It's free!

Trans oil

wagonmaster69

Reaction score
City, State
Hacienda Heights, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 1999 explorer 4.0 V6 OHV AWD.
What oil do I need to use when changing it.
It has been a while since I did it last and notice the oil designation has change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Current spec is Mercon V for the trans and Dex/Merc for the t-case.

BTW the V6's were never available with AWD. You have 4WD and probably an AUTO setting.

Current spec is Mercon V for the trans and Dex/Merc for the t-case.

I have a 2000 XLS 4x4. Everything I've read says that Mercon V can replace Mercon. Why not Mercon V in the transfer case (and transmission and power steering?)

Also, the clerk at Autozone found some web page stating my differential was "OPEN" The tag on it reads: S614E 73889WOT. The door tag says "Axle 46".

This web page Ford Rear Axle Assembly Identification - Page 13 - FORDification.com

says this
upload_2018-1-11_20-43-22.png

...but doesn't tell me what "NL" means anywhere...!?

I'm guessing it means "Not Limited" per this description I found elsewhere:

"When a vehicle with an open differential encounters a low traction surface, it directs power to the wheel with the least amount of traction. This results in the wheel on the low traction side spinning while the opposite wheel with high traction receives little to no power. This is due to the low traction wheel not providing proper resistance to the side gear to spin the carrier and transfer power to the opposing wheel. The carrier pinion gears and the carrier simply rotate around the side gear with the most traction and nothing gets passed on."

It sounds like having 4WD to help in snowy weather is a lost cause with an open differential?

Mercon V replaced/superseded Mercon. Ford doesn't say it's necessary to use Mercon V in the t-case.. The transmission and the power steering use the fluid as a lubricant and a hydraulic fluid. The t-case only as a lubricant. Perhaps that's why it's not required for the t-case.

Yes an axle code of 46 would designate an open 3:73 rear diff. D4 would indicate an 3:73 LSD rear diff (and I am fully aware of the difference). Front diffs on 4x4's are typically open so that you can steer. As far as I know, front diffs are always open on true AWD's so you can steer.

I see no advantage to having an open rear diff on a 4x4. Quite the opposite. Having an open diff in the front and and open diff on the rear means that if you were to get both front and rear wheels on the same side in the mud or snow - you'd be stuck. Serious off-roaders install something called a locker in the rear diff, because it's even better than limited slip.

Having an open diff in the front and and open diff on the rear means that if you were to get both front and rear wheels on the same side in the mud or snow - you'd be stuck. Serious off-roaders install something called a locker in the rear diff, because it's even better than limited slip.
The cost of installing a rear locker exceeds the market value of my better-than-average-maintained 2k Explorer. (I have no interest in off-roading.) Will carrying a bag of sand make much difference if i get stuck with (likely right-side) wheels (F+R) spinning helplessly? If so, should I apply to both F+R or concentrate on (sanding) one (which?)?

A bag of sand or kitty litter is about all I'm budgeted to spring for with my whopping $20./mo. increase in Social Security. Thanks!

The cost of installing a rear locker exceeds the market value of my better-than-average-maintained 2k Explorer. (I have no interest in off-roading.) Will carrying a bag of sand make much difference if i get stuck with (likely right-side) wheels (F+R) spinning helplessly? If so, should I apply to both F+R or concentrate on (sanding) one (which?)?

A bag of sand or kitty litter is about all I'm budgeted to spring for with my whopping $20./mo. increase in Social Security. Thanks!

I wasn't suggesting you should install a locker. With the age of our Explorers even the ones with LSD probably no longer work as an LSD, due to clutch wear in the rear diff.

Kitty litter is a good choice to use if you get stuck with one side spinning. I'd put it under both wheels. I grew up in Connecticut and drove in the snow and ice for 20 years with only RWD vehicles (most of them w/out LSD) and never recall getting seriously stuck. '85 was the year that I started buying 4WD vehicles, which were a huge improvement in the snow (nothing helps with ice). I do not intentionally off-road.

BTW - I'm aware of the minuscule SS COLA increase this year. After the Medicare increase I ended up with a whole $14 a month cost of living increase. Ridiculous, and gas prices are expected to be high this year. They're already up at least 20 cents a gallon since Christmas and expected to go up at least an additional 35 cents a gallon.

BTW - I'm aware of the minuscule SS COLA increase this year. After the Medicare increase I ended up with a whole $14 a month cost of living increase. Ridiculous, and gas prices are expected to be high this year. They're already up at least 20 cents a gallon since Christmas and expected to go up at least an additional 35 cents a gallon.
Thanks for the advice; I'll pick up some kitty litter.

As per paying for the increased-cost fuel in our Explorers, here's where >$113 billion of the [hopelessly-squandered; no jail time for legislators] "interest" on our Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes is going to (instead of into OUR POCKETS!):

Thanks for the advice; I'll pick up some kitty litter.

As per paying for the increased-cost fuel in our Explorers, here's where >$113 billion of the [hopelessly-squandered; no jail time for legislators] "interest" on our Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes is going to (instead of into OUR POCKETS!):

Yeah, that's what government does for you. Here's a question for you... How come ****** users get free needles (because ****** addition is a disease) but people with diabetes have to pay for them?

Another question I want to change the trans filter also and I have a gallon or so jug of regular atf.
So if I drain the trans fluid run the atf and then drain and change the filter then use the Mercron V will that be ok?

Another question I want to change the trans filter also and I have a gallon or so jug of regular atf.
So if I drain the trans fluid run the atf and then drain and change the filter then use the Mercron V will that be ok?
Just dropping the pan doesn't drain more than 1/3 of the fluid. If you drain completely (not sure your transmission has a torque converter plug or it would need to be done through the cooling lines), you can get out most of that wrong ATF that you put in, but why? What benefit are you expecting to get from that exercise?

Ya I don't quite get the "regular" vs "Mercon V" atf. Mercon and Mercon V are compatible so there's no need to flush one or the other out. Type F is totally incompatible and shouldn't be used at all.

Just wondering.
I haven't done my trans fluid in a while and don't want to do a flush.
And since I have the extra ATF might as well put it into good use.
But if it will do more harm then good I'll just buy extra M-V.

Actually nvm...I got confused about the original fluid spec for the 1999. I had thought it was originally Mercon and then went to Mercon V. Since the spec apparently has always been Mercon V, I'd use that.

Don’t use regular mercon. If you are concerned about getting stuck, I’d pick up a heap traction mat, or track. Way better than any sand or kitty litter. Tractor supply has them. I have a set of metal ones I’ve had for 20 years. They are, quite frankly, unbelievable. Used them A LOT and have gotten out of some serious stuck situations.

Ford traction lok limited slips are very stout. My last Mounty had 220k on it. Plowed with it for 10 years, and the limited slip was still very functional. My current Mounty spins both back tires pretty evenly, as well.

Back