2006 Explorer rear liftgate wont open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer rear liftgate wont open

PL79TN

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Hey I have 2006 Ford Explorer XLT and I recently have had a problem, the rear liftgate wont unlock or open.... What is wrong with this and how do I fix it? I know its not a fuse because the rest of the doors unlock and the liftgate glass opens fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Preston

Is the lock frozen? Or the electrical signal to the lock is being interrupted

The latch for the main liftgate is mechanical. So, it's either locked, or the latch mechanism is messed up. Since you can't hear it locking/unlocking, I'm guessing it's stuck in the locked position. Just like a doorlatch, the mechanism likely also houses the powerlock actuator. I'll bet the entire mechanism has to be replaced.

Seems like I've heard this before. Since the door can't be unlocked, you can't open the door. And since you can't open the door, it's going to be very hard to remove the panels necessary to replace the mechanism. Do a search. Somebody did this job before, having to remove panels from the inside, to get at the mechanism, and release by hand.

The latch for the main liftgate is mechanical. So, it's either locked, or the latch mechanism is messed up. Since you can't hear it locking/unlocking, I'm guessing it's stuck in the locked position. Just like a doorlatch, the mechanism likely also houses the powerlock actuator. I'll bet the entire mechanism has to be replaced.

Seems like I've heard this before. Since the door can't be unlocked, you can't open the door. And since you can't open the door, it's going to be very hard to remove the panels necessary to replace the mechanism. Do a search. Somebody did this job before, having to remove panels from the inside, to get at the mechanism, and release by hand.

So when you say do a search, do you mean on here or on google?

Back